Looking for a Really Simple/Crazy Pen & Paper RPG

1mike1000

Jun 18, 2011
Yeah. That's more or less it. I'm basically just looking for some pen and paper RPG's that I could play with my friends who aren't usually into these kind of games, but are also a tad bit fucked up. It doesn't have to be both weird and basic, but I'm looking for something that at least meets ONE of those qualifications. For example, We're All Going To Die is a pretty neat one. I'd definitely go for something a bit more complex than that, but it's a start.

L4Y Duke

Nov 24, 2007
I don't play pen-and-paper RPGs, but from what I hear Paranoia's a crazy one to get into.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
L4Y Duke said:
I don't play pen-and-paper RPGs, but from what I hear Paranoia's a crazy one to get into.
This. Paranoia can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be but it's always batshit crazy fun.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Regular play or just occasional? Paranoia would suffice but there is also Ninja Burger (1st edition) and Kobolds Ate My Baby! which are for more casual play and/or one offs.

NB is about ninjas delivering fast food - AAA Service: Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere. And they do mean it - space shuttle about to launch, check; the pentagon, check; locked in a bank's vault, check. Delivery in 30 minutes or less, or they commit seppuku. It's pretty damn crazy. Normally you'd play a one shot delivery but you can extend it into a campaign of sorts. The second edition is more suited for extended play (has rules for character advancement and such) but it's harder to pick up. Well, comparatively - in 1st edition, you can literally start a game with complete newbies in about 15 minutes - that includes rules, rolling, and character generation.

KAMB! is, as the name suggests, about kobolds eating babies. It uses basically the same system as NB (and is made by the same people) but it's quite different - while ninjas are supposed to be awesome at everything and especially awesome at a subset (a ninja can attempt to disguise as a washing machine, if they wish, if they have training in disguises, it's a little easier), kobolds just suck and suck slightly less in a small subset (a kobold without the hide skill cannot hide at all. The ones who can, are just slightly better off). Expect to die a lot in KAMB!, that's the charm of the game.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
wombat_of_war said:
GiantRaven said:
L4Y Duke said:
This. Paranoia can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be but it's always batshit crazy fun.
i would recomend this as well. id also assign one of your players a robot in R&D that follows them around closely is invulnerable to damage and tampering, and doesnt obey any commands apart from "explode". make sure they have no clue what it is or what it does
That sounds amusing, and it gave me an idea for something as well XD I'll have to check this Paranoia game out myself!

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I always forget the name but this is a pretty cool one, do be warned it does require some effort... and babies.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
You can make any p&p rpg as fucked up as you want it to be, that's the beauty of it. This isn't something that's bound by rules or setting.

LAGG

Jun 23, 2011
Look for a system called 3D&T, you have to specifically add "English" to your search.
It can't get any simpler and crazier than that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D%26T

EDIT: searching a bit more I think there isn't really an English translation :(

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
If you don't mind being recommended something that's still in development, Mortasheen [http://bogleech.com/mortasheen.htm] is something I'd definitely look into. It's a Pokemon-inspired Mons game where, instead of cute, colourful critters, you collect and battle with your own horde of grungy, mutant monstrosities. Just take a look at the series answer to Mew, Necromon [http://www.bogleech.com/mortasheen/necromon.htm]:

Yep, a giant, psychic brain sperm with baby feet. And there's even more twisted monsters where that came from, with a whole host of mutants, zombies, aliens, vampires, para-dimensional weirdos, and bug-human hybrids to choose from, which you can further genetically engineer to your heart's content. Your Mortasheen trainer can even be a horrible mutant if you want. But again, it's still in development, so if you're interested you'll have to just keep an eye on it until they finally release it (it'll be released online as a PDF).

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Danger Patrol! It's easy to play and has the potential to be completely off the wall because of how the game is structured (you need to continually come up with crazy stuff to do better in combat).

Also it's free...
http://www.dangerpatrol.com/

So that's a big plus.

1mike1000

Jun 18, 2011
Smertnik said:
You can make any p&p rpg as fucked up as you want it to be, that's the beauty of it. This isn't something that's bound by rules or setting.
I totally agree that pretty much any pen and paper game CAN be fucked up, but I'm looking for games that encourage fucked upness. You do make a good point, though.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Well I found the World of Darkness pretty damn easy to get into, and it has some damn crazy potential, depending on the game.
Want to be a 45 foot werewolf? Fine.
Want to be a mage who can turn a church into a bouncy castle? Also fine.

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
Blunderboy said:
Well I found the World of Darkness pretty damn easy to get into, and it has some damn crazy potential, depending on the game.
Man. Ma-a-an. MAN! I totally forgot about that. No, not WoD, but when you suggested it, I just remembered - Dudes of Legend. It's the most awesome WoD book I've read. Totally. And probably one of the most awesome game supplements ever. It's about making WoD...well, awesome. Here is the information from the back of the book:

Strippers? Awesome. Lesbian strippers? Double-awesome. Lesbian strippers whipping off their trenchcoats only to reveal a katana tucked delicately in a garter or g-string? That is a face full of awesome. Your face will be dripping with awesome. The sauce of awesome will give you a nasal enema.
Quoted for truth. Take a look at the free sample over at DriveThroughRPG if you want a taste - the book includes rules for magical katana, using ninja skills, using double headed dildos as weapons (because, fuck yeah, that's why), a better more badass Desert Eagle that shoots eagles as well as bullets (because, fuck yeah, that's why) and ridable animals, including sample grizzly bear, pterodactyl and even a unicorn. Yes. Here is the stat block for unicorns

Attributes: Intelligence 5, Wits 5, Resolve 3, Strength 3, Dexterity 5, Stamina 3, Presence 5, Manipulation 5, Composure 5

Skills: Athletics (Gallop) 3, Brawl (Hornstab) 5, Empathy (Marriage counseling) 5, Medicine (Unicorn spit) 2, Persuasion (Seduction) 4, Socialize (Party games) 3, Streetwise (Gang signs) 2

Willpower:8
Initiative:10
Defense:5
Size:7
Health:10
Armor:2
Acceleration:10
Safe Speed:75 (50 MPH)
Maximum Speed:103 (70 MPH)
Handling:5
Attacks:Hornstab, 2(L)
Because fuck yeah. The book is filled with random insanity with the justification being fuck yeah.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
DoPo said:
Blunderboy said:
Man. Ma-a-an. MAN! I totally forgot about that. No, not WoD, but when you suggested it, I just remembered - Dudes of Legend. It's the most awesome WoD book I've read. Totally. And probably one of the most awesome game supplements ever. It's about making WoD...well, awesome. Here is the information from the back of the book:

Strippers? Awesome. Lesbian strippers? Double-awesome. Lesbian strippers whipping off their trenchcoats only to reveal a katana tucked delicately in a garter or g-string? That is a face full of awesome. Your face will be dripping with awesome. The sauce of awesome will give you a nasal enema.
Quoted for truth. Take a look at the free sample over at DriveThroughRPG if you want a taste - the book includes rules for magical katana, using ninja skills, using double headed dildos as weapons (because, fuck yeah, that's why), a better more badass Desert Eagle that shoots eagles as well as bullets (because, fuck yeah, that's why) and ridable animals, including sample grizzly bear, pterodactyl and even a unicorn. Yes. Here is the stat block for unicorns

Attributes: Intelligence 5, Wits 5, Resolve 3, Strength 3, Dexterity 5, Stamina 3, Presence 5, Manipulation 5, Composure 5

Skills: Athletics (Gallop) 3, Brawl (Hornstab) 5, Empathy (Marriage counseling) 5, Medicine (Unicorn spit) 2, Persuasion (Seduction) 4, Socialize (Party games) 3, Streetwise (Gang signs) 2

Because fuck yeah. The book is filled with random insanity with the justification being fuck yeah.
I was sold as soon as I saw that the Unicorn knew Seduction and Gang signs.

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
Blunderboy said:
DoPo said:
Blunderboy said:

I was sold as soon as I saw that the Unicorn knew Seduction and Gang signs.
And party games - bitches love party games. :D But yeah, gang signs is even better, I agree. And something I forgot to mention - ever wanted to dickslap people? In-game, I mean - well if so, congrats, you also have the rules for using penis as a weapon. You're welcome. IMO, the book is totally worth the one dollar it costs. The sheer entertainment value I got from it is easily several times that.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I've always found the Marvel Heroes FASERIP system is easy to get into and simple so long as you have someone very familiar with the marvel universe to GM... err... Judge. The stat/combat system is quite simple and goes by a single chart that allows for flexibility in action and storytelling.

Just never try to play as Cyclops or a Cyclops clone... as Spoony will tell ya, he makes combat boring.