Looking for a solid detective game recommendation.

hooliganyouth

Oct 3, 2007
I've been getting a bit FPS'd & RPG'd out lately and was wondering if any of you fine folks have any recommenations for a game that requires some noggin work - i.e. "Grim Fandango". My laptop isn't really built for games but have a bunch of consoles in the house. I've heard good things about "Hotel Dusk" and the "Phoenix Wright" games. Any ideas?

J.theYellow

Jun 1, 2007
Grim Fandango sold like mouse nuts, so not many such games have been made since. The Adventure Company still churns them out and they're taking up lots of shelf space, but they don't review well.

The "Zero Punctuation" guy releases a bunch of adventure games on his site, www.fullyramblomatic.com. I played "5 Days a Stranger."

Zera

Sep 12, 2007
I would suggest the Phoenix Wright games. They have some of the best whimsical writing for game nowadays. The characters are great and the story for each case each ave a distinct charm(for the most part anyways). The game has also made me feel stupid a few times over and I still play. Now would be the perfect time to play since PW3 is about to be realeased. I suggest finishing the games in order. Beware of PW2. It has been considered the weakest of the trilogy, but its not by all means bad. PW3 is known to be the best one. Another plus is by the time you finish the first 3, Apollo Justice should be released here, which is basically a sequel.

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
Check out Sleuth, if you like free web games. It's pretty awesome. And some magazine wrote about it not too long ago [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_107/1302-The-Thin-Man].

hooliganyouth

Oct 3, 2007
Joe said:
Check out Sleuth, if you like free web games. It's pretty awesome. And some magazine wrote about it not too long ago [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_107/1302-The-Thin-Man].
Thanks for the recommendation for this one. Actually kind of exactly what I was looking for.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
Best adventure games of late would almost definitely be the new Sam and Max season. Buy it all, or play it and a whole bunch of things for one month for $9 at Gametap.
Season Two is just starting soon and is looking good.

Redfeather

Sep 18, 2007
The Nancy Drew mysteries for the PC are actually a lot of fun, if you can stand the perky Nancy. The storyline is decent, it requires actual thought, overall I'd give it a pretty high rating.

Frapple

Sep 7, 2007
Broken Sword 1 & 2 are definitely worth at least one play though.

Not really that involved but Condemned for the 360 was a seriously underrated game, enjoyed it from start to finish, the detective tools are great to use and the story in gripping, bricks were shat.

Idlemind

Sep 9, 2007
The Longest Journey should work on any old laptop. Great game.

Also for consoles, Indigo Prophecy, Beyond Good and Evil.

hooliganyouth

Oct 3, 2007
Idlemind said:
The Longest Journey should work on any old laptop. Great game.

Also for consoles, Indigo Prophecy, Beyond Good and Evil.
"Beyond Good & Evil" is one of my favorite games for the PS2 - a serious shame that it never caught on. "Indigo Prophecy" had a lot of potential but there were several issues I had with the game play. Just curious - did you have much trouble with the rhythm puzzles? For some reason - besides the fact I stink at rhythm games - I just got completely frustrated.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Gonna have to repeat the recommendation for the Phoenix Wright trilogy, as they're really some of the best investigation adventure gaming I've ever played--witty, fun, great music and great characters. For a slightly more serious bent, you might want to check out the similarly story-driven Hotel Dusk. It's remarkably atmospheric even if the gameplay is a bit frustrating at times.

gameloftguy

Sep 20, 2007
Do you like the CSI programs and have a cell phone? CSI: Miami game is decent but shouldn't take you all that long to sleuth your way through.

Tesahli

Oct 24, 2007
Deja Vu is definitely a classic point and click noir style detective series, if you're willing to forsake modern graphics and return to point-and-click.

Hengst2404

Aug 29, 2007
Well although some didn't like it, I greatly enjoyed Still Life for the PC, a point and click adventure game that has a dark story, reminding me of the movie Seven. Post Mortem was the first game in that series and is also worth a playthrough. There are plenty of point and click games out there to look at, even the old Tex Murphy games if you can find them.

Cordelia

Jun 1, 2007
Touch Detective for DS isn't exactly going to break your brain, but it's charming and funny. Hotel Dusk makes me drowsy whenever I try to play it, but I did rather enjoy Still Life--just get the PC version, not the Xbox version. Evidence's puzzles are a bit obtuse, but the game is, overall, really very enjoyable.