Looking for action/crime drama anime or manga

TheMightyWarHamster

Sep 19, 2010
Hi guys,
I find myself in dire need for diversion, since the finals are coming up and i already feel my head exploding. :/
Here's the question: can anyone recommend some action oriented anime/manga, preferably seinen, that deal with gangs, cops, secret agents, etc. preferably at the realistic, gritty end of the spectrum. violence and boobage are optional, not a selling point. ;)
as a guideline, here's somethings i have enjoyed reading/watching: baccano!, GitS SAC, Black Lagoon, Ergo Proxy. And from the western side: The Departed, Training Day, Narc, DMZ, Queen & Country, 100 Bullets.
Bonus Points if you can watch/read the results online, tuition fees are right round the corner...

dracomanm

Nov 21, 2009
The person below me will mention Death Note.

Other than that, I can't think of any that go with your preferences

masher

Jul 20, 2009
I'm afraid I was, and am, going to say Gosick. Gosick's seriously a good watch.

Eh... just read through the rest of that. Gosick's more Mystery. Still good, though. Hmm... I'll get back to you with that.

Maybe Monster would suit your tastes.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
The person above me is correct, i suggest Death Note.

Youve already seen the others i was goign to suggest lol aka Ergo Proxy

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Not really a genre I find myself gravitating towards, but I think I've heard good things about City Hunter.

Perhaps Detective Conan, too, but I think that's oddly graphic shounen, instead.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
If you enjoyed GitS: SAC try to get GitS: SAC; 2nd Gig. It's an amazing piece and you can tell where they learned from their old mistakes and re-did problematic issues. I can't comment on Solid State Society though, I've had a ***** of a time finding a copy for a price I'm willing to pay. If not those try Mamaru Oshii's two Ghost in the Shell movies which I loved as well.

Sticking with Shirow Masamune you might want to look for the new Appleseed (it has been changed in several ways to cut down on run time because of the expense of production but I think the aesthetic was great) and Appleseed: Ex Machina.

Can't really think of anything else since here in Ireland it's a bastard getting anything.

EDIT: As someone said Cowboy Bebop is pretty great too. Anything by Shinichiro Watanabe, that I've seen, is definitely worth it.

dracomanm

Nov 21, 2009
TheMightyWarHamster said:
dracomanm said:
The person below me will mention Death Note.

Other than that, I can't think of any that go with your preferences
how does anyone get "death note" from what i wrote? o_O
action, secret, agents, gritty, all fits, just one tip, after the first season is over, leave it at that, 2nd season kinda blows.

TheMightyWarHamster

Sep 19, 2010
Thanks NeutralDrow, City Hunter looks good, I'll definitely start reading that one.

dracomanm said:
action, secret, agents, gritty, all fits, just one tip, after the first season is over, leave it at that, 2nd season kinda blows.
except not on the relistic end. ;) i watched the first episodes, didnt't really like it. i guess i just have watched one too many teenager get magic powers/a macguffin/any number of magical girlfriends.

manythings said:
If you enjoyed GitS: SAC try to get GitS: SAC; 2nd Gig. It's an amazing piece and you can tell where they learned from their old mistakes and re-did problematic issues. I can't comment on Solid State Society though, I've had a ***** of a time finding a copy for a price I'm willing to pay. If not those try Mamaru Oshii's two Ghost in the Shell movies which I loved as well.

Sticking with Shirow Masamune you might want to look for the new Appleseed (it has been changed in several ways to cut down on run time because of the expense of production but I think the aesthetic was great) and Appleseed: Ex Machina.

Can't really think of anything else since here in Ireland it's a bastard getting anything.

EDIT: As someone said Cowboy Bebop is pretty great too. Anything by Shinichiro Watanabe, that I've seen, is definitely worth it.
GitS is gold, should have been more clear on that. i watched both SACs and yes, number two was better, as well as the movies. Solid State Society was interesting. Much less weird or allegorical than innocence, more of a conspirac thriller.
I didn't know there was a new appleseed, i'll look into that. I read the old manga and i have the movies, but i can't get myself to like the cgi style.

Galaxialconda

Oct 19, 2008
Yugo the Negotiator

Very gritty and realistic anime about a.. well negotiator called Yugo who goes out into warzones or into rebel camps to negotiate with the leaders for peace. Going all out and even hanging his life on a thread to get what he set out to do. Very emotional series that splits into two story arcs. One taking part in Pakistan I think and the other in Russia.

One of my favourite animes and well worth giving a look. Think it has a manga too but I've never seen it about ^^'

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Which one did you prefer, 100 bullets or DMZ?

Eagle: The Making of an Asian-American President is a very good political drama manga. Though like any manga that doesn't quite fit the sterotpyical Western view of what the word "manga" means it's hard to get. An even better series is Sanctuary, a crime/drama series about two choldhood friends trying to move up in the world. One of them wants to reach greatness in the world of organized crime, the other one in the world of politics. Available online.

albinokid66

Dec 25, 2010
Depends

Monster is quite a stereotypical crime drama that is really quite long (Manga and anime) but really is the best crime drama anime/manga out there. It really is not that 'anime-ish' though, it is one of the most Westernised animes I have seen, but dont let that put you off.

Also check out Deathnote even though you probably have

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
FLCL,it's very actiony at times...wait it's not about crime is it?

Ok,then I would have to say Cowboy Bebop,great show and is very accessible until some of the later episodes.

MrShadowzs

Apr 5, 2009
ohhh i know, how about Baccano, it can be pretty confusing, but it's one of the best anime ever

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
In no particular order and with varying quality:
Mouryou no Hako
Master Keaton
Switch
Black Jack

Well, that covers all the "more mature" crime stories I know of that weren't already mentioned.

Limie

Feb 18, 2010
Staskala said:
In no particular order and with varying quality:
Mouryou no Hako
Master Keaton
Switch
Black Jack

Well, that covers all the "more mature" crime stories I know of that weren't already mentioned.
Yes! Yes! Yes!
I would also suggest (they are all crime/detective animes):
Himitsu The Revelation
Tokko- more supernatural and unfinished but brilliant
Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro- supernatural, comedy
Crystal Blaze (glass maiden)
RIN Daughters of Mnemosyne
Psychic Detective Yakumo

To name a few (I'm quite a fan of the genre but most have a supernatural element to them)
I would also recomend Monster if you are patient.

Rune342

Aug 26, 2008
You've got Baccano, so you may like Durarara. Also, for crime anime try Detective Conan/Case Closed.