Looking for an RPG like Dragon Age: Origins

StoleitfromKilgore

Jul 4, 2014
The first time I played through Baldur's Gate 2, I didn't have to learn much. Much of it is automated anyway and happens in the background (like saves, most of level-up etc.). Some info is nice to have, but not really essential. Maybe check out some basics, like what the character attributes do, but other than that you just need to read spell descriptions from time to time.

Personally I was more frustrated with DA:O, since the tooltips contain no specific information whatsoever and even if using the "Extended Tooltips"-fix, there is still a lot of info that one has to gather from the internet. (similar to Dark Souls >> all these stats, but no description, no manual, no nothing).

ninja666

May 17, 2014
StoleitfromKilgore said:
The first time I played through Baldur's Gate 2, I didn't have to learn much. Much of it is automated anyway and happens in the background (like saves, most of level-up etc.). Some info is nice to have, but not really essential. Maybe check out some basics, like what the character attributes do, but other than that you just need to read spell descriptions from time to time.
But you did know D&D from the very beginning, right?

All, right, I'm so desperate I'm willing to get over the whole D&D thing. Just need someone who could explain it thoroughly or a reeeeeeealy good tutorial/guide.

StoleitfromKilgore

Jul 4, 2014
But you did know D&D from the very beginning, right?
No. It has been quite a while, so I might have taken a look at the manual, don't really remember. But, as said, my first playthrough I barely had a clue of the basics, but since so much stuff is automated it did not present much of a problem.

The following should be more than enough, to get a bit of a grip. Just article 1 & 2. 1 is mostly about what stats do and 2 is about how magic works.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/75251-baldurs-gate/faqs/8566

ninja666

May 17, 2014
StoleitfromKilgore said:
The following should be more than enough, to get a bit of a grip. Just article 1 & 2. 1 is mostly about what stats do and 2 is about how magic works.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/75251-baldurs-gate/faqs/8566
Stopped halfway through article 1. It's too complicated. There's too much parameters and modifiers needed to be learned to be able to enjoy the game.

StoleitfromKilgore

Jul 4, 2014
As said, I'm pretty sure I entered the game without much information whatsoever. You shouldn't regard it as mandatory to know anything beforehand. It's perfectly possible to play through the game with just 20-30 spells or so. Other than that just make sure to have some kind of thief, a mage and a cleric in your party.

But I don't want to give the wrong impression. Nowadays I also sometimes find it quite laborious to get into more complex games. I fully understand if you don't want to bother with that.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Ok, maybe I should try a different approach. I want an action RPG now, an isometric hack n' slash to be precise. Not any one, though, but one that meets these criteria:

- leniency and forgiveness (don't confuse it with being balls easy; I want a challenge, just not in a way where I lose the whole fight because of one tiny factor)
- a really good, dark, and deep storyline, preferably not about saving the world
- fantasy setting (the more original, the better, as I'm not fond of Tolkienesque "elves, dwarves and wizards" worlds)
- character customization (the more complex, the better; I like my character to be unique)
- dialogue choices
- diverse, non-linear environments

Does something like this exist, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Gundam GP01 said:
Other than that the best things I can think of are Diablo or Torchlight.
Thanks, they both have such deep storylines, complex character customization and so many dialogue choices I'm lost in admiration.

Seriously though, looks like I really have to just get over the fact that there are absolutely no good non-D&D RPGs apart from Dragon Age and start saving up for Divinity.

IFS

Mar 5, 2012
If you're willing to get over the dislike of D&D then definitely try Baldur's Gate 2, its the spiritual predecessor to DA:O and easily one of my favorite RPGs of all time. I'd recommend skipping BG1 as it hasn't aged nearly as well as 2, though its still a good game overall. To give basic explanation of mechanics that might otherwise be confusing:

AC: Armor Class, you want this to be low.
THAC0: To hit armor class 0, basically the lower this is the better your guy is at hitting people
Mutliclassing vs Dual classing: Multiclassing is where a character has two classes they are leveling up in at the same time, it is only available to nonhuman characters. Dual classing is only available to human characters, basically they give up on advancing in one class to pursue another
Alignment: Do not worry at all about this in BG2, it has no effect on the game or the options you can select. The only thing it does impact are some minor powers you start with and your starting reputation.
Hover your mouse over icons to see what they mean

And that's really about it, the rest should be (at least imo) fairly easy to understand and the game provides plenty of text in the way of explanations for how spells and abilities work.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
IFS said:
If you're willing to get over the dislike of D&D then definitely try Baldur's Gate 2, its the spiritual predecessor to DA:O and easily one of my favorite RPGs of all time. I'd recommend skipping BG1 as it hasn't aged nearly as well as 2, though its still a good game overall.
Yup, it's always a great idea to skip something and hop right into its direct sequel. Everything will be fine and you surely won't miss out on anything.

I'm so desperate right now I'm willing to take this game for a spin (BG1, that is). Although before I do, there's one thing I need to know: Is this game's story an epic quest to save your world from an unspeakable evil, who keeps destroying one realm after another just because he feels like it? If not, then try to tell me in short what's this game about, while keeping it as spoiler-free as possible.

IFS

Mar 5, 2012
ninja666 said:
IFS said:
If you're willing to get over the dislike of D&D then definitely try Baldur's Gate 2, its the spiritual predecessor to DA:O and easily one of my favorite RPGs of all time. I'd recommend skipping BG1 as it hasn't aged nearly as well as 2, though its still a good game overall.
Yup, it's always a great idea to skip something and hop right into its direct sequel. Everything will be fine and you surely won't miss out on anything.

I'm so desperate right now I'm willing to take this game for a spin (BG1, that is). Although before I do, there's one thing I need to know: Is this game's story an epic quest to save your world from an unspeakable evil, who keeps destroying one realm after another just because he feels like it? If not, then try to tell me in short what's this game about, while keeping it as spoiler-free as possible.
Honestly all you really need to know about the events of BG1 for BG2 are explained to you as the story progresses, you can even claim to have suffered some amnesia due to what happens to you at the start of the game to get characters to remind you of things. I hadn't played all the way through BG1 when I started BG2 and I don't feel that I suffered for it in the slightest.

Anyways BG1 is not really an epic quest to save the world, the bare bones of it is basically that someone is hunting you for reasons you don't understand initially. This drives you from the keep you grew up in and leads to the death of your foster father, thus leaving you to try to fend for yourself as an adventurer, eventually coming to discover why you are being hunted and to take on the one hunting you.

Edit: Oh and if you are going to start with BG1 then I recommend getting the Enhanced Edition, as it makes a number of small improvements.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
IFS said:
Honestly all you really need to know about the events of BG1 for BG2 are explained to you as the story progresses, you can even claim to have suffered some amnesia due to what happens to you at the start of the game to get characters to remind you of things.
That's actually kinda neat. I really don't like the idea of skipping the first game, though. It's like starting Harry Potter books from the fourth one, as many compare this type of behavior to.

IFS said:
Anyways BG1 is not really an epic quest to save the world, the bare bones of it is basically that someone is hunting you for reasons you don't understand initially. This drives you from the keep you grew up in and leads to the death of your foster father, thus leaving you to try to fend for yourself as an adventurer, eventually coming to discover why you are being hunted and to take on the one hunting you.
While not being about saving the world, it still sounds lame as fuck. Damn... looks like Dark Souls really spoiled me when it comes to games. Can't deny the fact that its story and lore were the most original I've seen in a fantasy videogame, though.

What about other D&D-based games? Do they do a better job in the storyline department?

Frission

Until I get thrown out.
May 16, 2011
ninja666 said:
While not being about saving the world, it still sounds lame as fuck. Damn... looks like Dark Souls really spoiled me when it comes to games. Can't deny the fact that its story and lore were the most original I've seen in a fantasy videogame, though.

What about other D&D-based games? Do they do a better job in the storyline department?
Well that's the reason why Baldur's Gate II is much better. The Baldur's Gate series is a good example of scaling, where little by little you learn more and more about the game's central intrigue. It's a good game and if you really need spoiler, I can describe the reason why so many people consider it one of the best RPGs of all time.

I mean Dragon Age Origins original premise is pretty bog standard, the only difference being that it executed well some of the aspects and actually put a twist on the more cliche storytelling elements.

Apart from that there's also Planescape Torment which is truly unique. The story was something truly strange and brilliant. It uses the same engine as Baldur's Gate, but it's a far cry from bog standard.

EDIT: I went in without knowing much about D&D. Just lower the difficulty pop in with whatever sounds good and it will be easy to learn the mechanics throughout the way.

Or just play Dragon Age Origins already. At some point you have to bite the bullet if you want to get into some of the older games.

IFS

Mar 5, 2012
ninja666 said:
IFS said:
Honestly all you really need to know about the events of BG1 for BG2 are explained to you as the story progresses, you can even claim to have suffered some amnesia due to what happens to you at the start of the game to get characters to remind you of things.
That's actually kinda neat. I really don't like the idea of skipping the first game, though. It's like starting Harry Potter books from the fourth one, as many compare this type of behavior to.

IFS said:

I don't the Harry Potter is the best comparison, the only story elements that are carried over would be a few characters that reappear and the big reveal of BG1 (which is something that is effectively on the back of the box for 2). I wouldn't say the story is bad for BG1 though its not as big of a focus as it is in 2, both have fairly interesting antagonists imo (though 2 of course more so than 1). BG2's antagonist is actually one of my favorites, and the way it builds him up is very interesting. That said the setting for both games, the Forgotten Realms, is fairly generic as far as fantasy settings go (that said its not a bad setting and certainly plays around with various fantasy tropes and is weirder by far than some fantasy).

For D&D games that do better storywise (other than BG2) there is Planescape Torment, which features some of the best writing in video games period. Its version of the D&D ruleset is a little strange but simplified enough that its easy to grasp, though combat is not really the game's strong point. Other than that I've seen people recommend NWN2, though I can't comment on it myself having not played it. I will say having played NWN1 that the way you control party members in the game never really worked for me, though I can't say whether its the same in 2 or not.

Also I notice someone else recommended Fallout 1&2 and I would like to throw whatever weight I have behind those games, they're a great deal of fun.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Aforementioned Torment is generally regarded as best RPG story ever, and Planescape itself is antithesis of conventional D&D. Temple of Elemental Evil is probably most faithful adaptation of tabletop, but it's pure dungeon crawler.

Of Neverwinter Nights, the original has your standard big-bad-awakening etc, but Hordes of the Underdark expansion is somewhat better on that front. 2 has pretty bland OC, but Mask of the Betrayer is spiritual successor to Torment and it shows.

KotOR is technically D&D based with the ruleset, and very much your typical Star Wars story. 2 is yet another successor to Torment, but it picks up relatively slow and explains relevant parts of first one.

You could try Arcanum or Bloodlines if you don't want swords and sorcery. Arcanum is steampunk with magic, and Bloodlines modern age like rest of WoD.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
ninja666 said:
It's a Star Wars game, isn't it? I hate Star Wars. Will I like this game regardless?
As a fellow Star Wars hater, kotor is amazing. Specifically Kotor 2, if you're a fan of obsidian and REALLY don't like Star Wars. It has a viable neutral route in a game with binary moral choice! You'll need the restoration patch for that game though (totally worth it). Both games play pretty much identically to DA:O, as well.

Also, NWN2 isn't tied to the first game, so go nuts. It's another really good one.

Also, I've seen Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines in this thread. That game is a classic and you're doing yourself a disservice if you haven't played it.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Damn, isn't there a game that has both good combat and good story? Cause it looks like I have to sacrifice one to have the other, even in those cult D&D titles I've been missing out.