Looking for Book Recommendations

IamGamer41

Mar 19, 2010
ohnoitsabear said:
Over the course of this summer, I plan on doing a bunch of reading. Basically, I'm going to be spending a lot of time camping this summer, and I want something to read during any downtime. Unfortunately, I'm not normally too much of a bookworm, and as such don't really know where to start in terms of finding good books. I'm pretty much open to any genre, although my favorite would probably be fantasy (I read through a Song of Ice and Fire last summer, to give you context). A few things I'm looking for:

Longer books are preferred. I'm not going to write off shorter books, but I would prefer each book to be able to last me a week or more.

It needs to be available in paperback. Space is at a premium, and I don't want to be lugging around a big hardcover book. Also, ebooks are just not a possibility.

Thank you for your help.

If you want a very interesting series of books to read try the Dark Tower series by Steven King. The first book isn't very long but as they go they get much longer and better. If no one hasn't suggested it yet you should give it a try.

nameless023

Fancy Forum Title Goes Here
Nov 11, 2011
This is one book that I can't stop recommending to everyone:

Rx: A Tale of Electronegativity
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1482520214

It's a short little book, can take you 8-10 hours to finish depending on how fast you read but it's one of those little gems that I've found while looking for random things to read. The best way I can describe it is as a sci-fi/fantasy mix about a drug addict on a cyberpunk-ish city where this hallucinogenic drug called Presence can make the user relive moments of history. (You shouldn't trust my description of the book, I can't properly describe how much I love this book. Just go and buy/read this book).

Or if you're looking for something more classical, H.P Lovecraft is always a good option. Don't go with the Cthulhu mythos, look for "At the Mountains of Madness" or "The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath" for some of his best works.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I started reading The Wheel of Time recently. I'm only just past the first half of the first book (out of 14[sub][sub]!!![/sub][/sub]) but it's been a fun romp so far, if not building itself up to be fairly predictable.

Some shorter books that I enjoyed reading were The Wasp Factory and The Third Policeman. Wasp Factory is a fairly dark short story, kind of hard to describe without spoiling too much but the characters are enjoyable and it's very satisfying despite only being a few hundred pages.
The Third Policeman is... insanity. Irish author probably drank a bit too much Guinness and results in the funniest book I've ever read. Again, not very long but highly recommended.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Seven Ancient Wonders (7 Deadly Wonders in the USA) by Matthew Reilly is a great book.

It's more or less Indiana Jones x 1000 with massive action scenes and a good story with some memorable characters. Some people don't like Matthew Reilly's writing style (some call it 'immature' writing) but I find them highly entertaining. Great to just pick up and read.

Some of his other books include;

Six Sacred Stones & Five Greatest Warriors (sequels to 7 Ancient/Deadly Wonders)

Temple (his longest novel, interlaces two separate stories, one set 400 years ago, the other more modern-ish late 90's)

The 'Scarecrow' Series (Ice Station, Area 7, Scarecrow, Scarecrow and the Army of Thieves). His most popular novels, reads more akin to Die Hard than Indiana Jones.

The Tournament (his latest novel, not including the Troll Mountain e-book, there is not much action but is much more risqué than his other novels, has several detailed sex scenes)

SirDerpy

May 4, 2013
>.>

<.<

I see that nobody has dropped the name of The Black Company. As a fanboy, I cannot let this stand!

It's a full series of 10 books, each a respectable length, so it should make for a fairly lengthy read. It's fantasy, but extremely low fantasy, so magic and monsters take a huge backseat to military exploits, intrigues, and the overall darkness and grittiness of the world it's set in. It's told through the eyes of multiple different Annalists of the Company (thankfully only one per book), and the writing style may be a bit odd at times, but I found it a great read.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Hmm, it isn't a small paperback by any means, but it isn't hard cover either. You could try The Complete Chronicles of Conan: Centenary Edition. It contains all the written work by Robert E. Howard containing his Conan characters (more famous from the Arnold films). It's composed of many shorts stories to form a larger compilation. It's really good stuff and, as much as I love the first Conan film, it completely outclasses the movies. Alternatively, you could get the three illustrated editions by Del Ray, which are fairly nice.

William Ossiss

Apr 8, 2010
BloatedGuppy said:
William Ossiss said:
My new friend, I think I have just the series for you.
Speaking of Dresden Files, when is the next one coming out? I kind of assumed he was cranking these out non-stop due to the ludicrous number of them, but I finished the series up like a year ago and to the best of my knowledge no new ones have come out.
I have the greatest news ever for you... It comes out in 2 days :D
Chapters 1-5 are currently up on his site, so if you want to go and read them that's a fantastic idea.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
ohnoitsabear said:
I just finished listening to "inferno" by Dan Brown ... I am not sure about the length 'cos I audio booked it but that took 17 hours to finish.

It is the first book I have finished, which is kind of embarrassing for a 25 year old but it griped me from start to finish.

It's about the first book in the divine comedy and it teaches you a lot about it, even a decent amount about the other two. Like did you know, each one ends with the word "stars"?

TheRookie8

Nov 19, 2009
Jim Butcher's "The Dresden Files" and "Codex Alera" are all available in paperback and are good reads. "The Dresden Files" is a detective-styled supernatural thriller about freelance wizard who investigates supernatural murders and missing person's cases. Fantastic character and humor, mixed with horror and action.

"The Codex Alera" is about a Roman-esque empire that can manipulate spirits living in the elements...which translates to summoning fire, moving earth, flight, strength and speed...etc. The story centers around a boy who cannot do these things, and is treated as a freak and outcast. But his intelligence allows him to act creatively in situations where power fails, as he helps stop a conspiracy to usurp the throne. Much more grand-scale than the detective series, but just as good. Lots of political intrigue intermingled with the grittier action.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
I liked the Abandon trilogy by Meg Cabot. It's a young adult novel but it's still pretty decent and I believe all of them are available in paperback.
True Grit by Charles Portis is a really good book as is Stolen by Lucy Christopher. Those two are definitely paperback books. Personally, I recommend anything by Dean Koontz, Michael Crichton, Neil Gaiman, and Clive Barker. Those are 4 of my favourite authors that I tend to re-read the most.
Also if you want to go into classical type literature, Les Misérables and The Hunchback of Notre Dame both by Victor Hugo are good. And The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
If you are a fan of Supernatural Horror/Black Comedy, go for "John Dies at the End". Its essentially lovecraftian horror mixed with internet humour.

If you prefer something like a satirical take on the superhero genre, try "Soon I will be invincible." Mostly its a superhero novel told from the Point-of-view of the villain (after he escapes from prison for the 13th time) and a new recruit to a suspiciously Justice-Leaguey team..