Looking for Gamecube games

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
So I've been thinking of getting some Gamecube games, get some extra work out of my Wii.

The obvious choices are on my list: Zelda, Mario(Super, Paper and Kart varieties), Luigi's Mansion, Metroid(probably gonna look for the Wii bundle pack and get all three), Smash Bros. Also getting some of the not-so-obvious: Killer 7, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, the Baten Kaitos games. Also, I already have RE4, FF: Christal Chronicles, and, somewhere, probably in a closet, Lego Star Wars 2. Now I'm looking for a bit more flavor to round things out. So, did I leave out an obvious choice(probably)? Got any games to recommend?

Also, since SSBM gets a bit repetitive playing by myself(noone will play with me :/), what's a good fighting game on the system? Was thinking Soul Caliber 2. Any other good ones?

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Wow Gamecube games....

Mario Cart and Mario Golf are the ones that still stand out for me, great fun with a few friends found!

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
wintercoat said:
Maybe Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and Skies of Arcadia Legends (which is a Dreamcast port), Tales of Symphonia (If you haven't played it on some other system)

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Mario Cart Double Dash, Resident Evil 1 and Zero (not sure how many other ones there are on there--RE4 is better for the Wii), Mario Golf, Kirby Air Ride, Smash Bros. Melee, Crazy Taxi, Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, and Pikmen.

Full

Sep 3, 2012
Sonic Adventure 2 is the best [sub][sub][sub][sub]sonic game ever[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Soul Calibur 2 is a good choice for a GC fighting game. It's my favorite in the series, and the GC version works quite well (also, Link).

Honestly, you might give Star Wars: Bounty Hunter a shot. The bounty hunting sidequest thing is a little frustrating, but the main game itself is quite fun.

Other than that (and Tales of Symphonia and Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, which others have brought up), you have most of the games I would recommend.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Hell yes,SCII. It's an excellent game and it holds up astonishingly well. You seem to have a pretty awesome list. I'd also recommend F-zero GX (hard as hell, but fun), Tales of Symphonia, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, and Star Wars: Rogue squadron II.

Protip: turn off the voice acting in Baten Kaitos. It's horrible.

God, this thread punches me right in the nostalgia.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
Some random games I enjoyed are Chibi-Robo, Gladius, Star Wars Rogue Leader, X-men Legends 2, Gun, and Incredible Hulk Ultimate Destruction. I wouldn't call any of them must-plays, but they're all solid choices to round out a library. Also Mega Man Anniversary Collection for nicely repackaged old games. I also had a friend who swore by I-Ninja, though I never actually played it myself

As for fighting games, the only ones I know outside of SSBM and Soul Calibur are some adequate Mortal Kombat games and some X-men fighting game I never played. In any case, buy Soul Calibur.

I also second Tales of Symphonia

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
sextus the crazy said:
Hell yes,SCII. It's an excellent game and it holds up astonishingly well. You seem to have a pretty awesome list. I'd also recommend F-zero GX (hard as hell, but fun), Tales of Symphonia, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, and Star Wars: Rogue squadron II.

The voice acting may be horrible, but it's not worth losing that sweet, sweet boss music to shut the sound off. Plus, I find it to be a "so bad, it's kinda amusing", rather than the "Oh god, my ears D:".

Y'know...I have the sequel to Tales of Symphonia, like, not even 10 feet away from me, and I still forgot about it. Loved the original, the sequel was good, though nothing compared to the original.

I'm not sure if I've played Path of Radiance yet. Eh, either way, Fire Emblem's always worth it.

Not a big fan of racing games, so I'll probably give F-zero a pass, though Rogue Squadron II I might pick up.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
wintercoat said:
sextus the crazy said:

The voice acting may be horrible, but it's not worth losing that sweet, sweet boss music to shut the sound off. Plus, I find it to be a "so bad, it's kinda amusing", rather than the "Oh god, my ears D:".
You can turn off voices separately from actual sound. It might be worth considering for Baten Kaitos, if it ever stops being amusingly awful. I know that's what I did.

Also, I avoided a possible spoiler through sheer luck by doing so.

Don't do it for Baten Kaitos Origins, though, whatever you decide on the first one. Vastly improved voice acting.

Y'know...I have the sequel to Tales of Symphonia, like, not even 10 feet away from me, and I still forgot about it. Loved the original, the sequel was good, though nothing compared to the original.
*mimes fist bump*

Pretty much my opinion, too. DotNW was a good game (not as good as the original, but I wasn't expecting that). Good new voice actors (not the replacements, admittedly), fun combat system (barring not being able to control monsters), and one of my favorite game love stories, as well.

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
No one has mentioned Viewtiful Joe? I am disappoint.

I've heard Ikaruga is really good, but the difficulty is the stuff of legends.

Finally, get Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. It's gameplay is as good as its graphics. And they're STUNNING.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
In terms of fighting games, you're kinda screwed, the console didn't have many worthwhile entries. I second F-Zero GX; if you don't have Viewtiful Joe yet, get Viewtiful Joe; Custom Robo is a decent game with fun battles but a crap story; I've heard good things about Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg; Megaman Network Transmission isn't a great Megaman game, but it is incredibly hard and may warrant a look if you need something else.

Put Killer 7, Paper Mario, and Wind Waker at the front of your list; they are needed in every Gamecube library.

BenzSmoke

Nov 1, 2009
Timesplitters Future Perfect, Pikmin 1 & 2, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, HULK: Ultimate Destruction, Alien Hominid, Super Smash Bros. Melee, and I believe you can get Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube but don't quote me on that.

Also Gauntlet Dark Legacy is a personal favorite of mine, though I'm well aware that it's not a good game.

Risenant

Sep 24, 2011
The big 2 I think of right off of my head.

First, Gladius. It was one of the first strategy games I've ever played and there's something about pitting a minotaur against a Satyr.

Second game is Lost Kingdom. I didn't get too far into the game but it's a very interesting system where instead of fight you collect cards and summon monsters to do battle for you. Unlike rpgs the battles happen in real time so there's a lot of summon a monster then go hide and watch the resulting battle but it was a very interesting game.

Finally Phantasy Star Online Episode 1+2 if you can find it. It's a rare game but a great one. It's best enjoyed with friends so throw a party and play it.

Side note. If you're a Megaman fan try out Megaman Network Transmission. It's a platformer set in the Battle Network universe and is a link between the first and second games.

X men Legends was a fun Beat em Up Game. And that's it from me.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Get Pikmin 2

Also go for Timesplitters 2

As well as the multiplatform Metal Arms: Glitch in the System

I still own all but Timesplitters, and I have no idea where that game found its home. Maybe I left it at a friends a decade ago... bah.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I came to this thread ready to kick some ars!!!
But I got ninjad by everyone else in this room -.-
Not sure if been said but I remember enjoying a game called "Star Wars the Clone Wars" I think it was called...
Other than that
TALES OF SYMPHONIA!!!

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Somonah said:
If you have never played a Metal Gear Solid game, try 'The Twin Snakes'

it's a good remake as long as you've never played the original lol. If you've played the original you'll just get mad.
I didn't get mad: to me, that remake was the stuff of legends: it was the instruction manual to a good remake. Sure the cutscenes were different (someone's been watching a bit too much Matrix) but gameplay wise? it was the perfect translation of an old game to a newer engine. If anything, the original pissed me off because it felt so much more clunky in comparison.