Looking for positive/hopeful anime series

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
If you're looking for a "feel good" slice of life anime, I'd recommend Fruits Basket. While it has some tearjerker moments, it's generally an uplifting story about how a little kindness can go a long way in people's lives.

The only major issue I have with it is the lack of a proper resolution. The show was produced while the original manga was still underway, so they had to stop after just one season at what was essentially the story's halfway mark. They never got around to finishing it due to a number of factors, including the composer unexpectedly passing away. If you want proper closure, you'll have to hunt down the manga series.

Nov 9, 2015
These are all kind of slice-of-life or comedy:

Wandering Son is probably the only anime that is serious about transgender issues, and it's a good one. I highly recommend if you are interested.

GTO is hilarious and is about a bike gang leader who becomes a teacher, but actually teaches you how to forgive people that you once thought were despicable.

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo deals with a girl who is great at painting but terrible at communication and daily tasks, and the MC who embarrassingly has to help her, and what do you know a sappy romance forms.

Nana follows two girls who meet on a train by accident, discovering they have the same name, and come to live together and help face themselves. I've seen this described as a realistic take on relationships, with realistic characters, and I completely agree.

Genshiken depicts college life of an otaku club, and difficulty after graduating. There's more beyond that, as it really is about how these goofy misfits interact with each other. I personally find them very real and endearing characters.

Welcome to the NHK follows a NEET who lives a disappointing life after high school, but by the kindness of a girl, is drawn out into society, and has to face his past colleagues. It deals with very depressing topics, not like grimdark depressing, but real life issues.

Tatami Galaxy is similar above, but is wackier, dealing with a person trying to find a college experience after a dull first year. Man, what is it with me and anime about social misfits?

And then there is the obligatory crying anime, AnoHana, Clannad, and Angel Beats. I hope bittersweet is positive enough, because anything that emotional automatically becomes one of my favorites.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Berser- Umm...

Black Lagoo-errr....

Hell...sing...hrmm. Damn this is harder then I thought.

Oh! I got two of them!

Kanon and Angel Beats! I will admit the latter has a bit of an ending issue, but it's still a fun ride. And the ending isn't super bleak or anything, but to be fair they were given less episodes to work with then they should have been honestly. As for Kanon, it has a nice ending and it is ultimately pretty nice even if sad in places. But, word of advice, go for the newest series of it (Which was done in 2006). It's only 24 episodes, but good god that animation is to die for!

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Steins Gate was fairly upbeat. Sure, there are sad parts and plenty of dramatic tension, but the characters are great and there's a lot of lighthearted humor. Plus, as you wanted, it's fairly short. It's pretty well known though, so maybe you've already seen it.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
A Fork said:
...and Angel Beats.
Infernai said:
...and Angel Beats!
You two are both crazy! I love Angel Beats. Deeply. But I have it on DVD and I have watched it precisely once about three years ago and to this day I cannot bring myself to watch it again because just hearing the OP or ED makes me start crying.

Beautiful as it is and emotional as it is...its not a 'feel good' story.

On a related note, however, a possible alternative to Angel Beats is Charlotte. I just finished watching it; its the second original anime series by Key (i.e. the makers of Angel Beats) and its pretty fantastic. The characters are great. The protagonist is something of a selfish dick at the beginning but by the end of it...well he changes...and shows that he's changed (I don't want to say more because spoilers). Its something of an emotional rollercoaster and has some pacing issues but it has a really positive ending to it, even if there is a touch of bitterness there (though nowhere near the same amount as Angel Beats).

Edit: Oh and if you want something hyper-short then maybe take a look at a micro-series like Onee-chan ga kita. Three minutes an episode, 12 episodes (so you'd be done in under an hour), pretty goofy series but quite fun.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
CrazyGirl17 said:
a bit of darkness
A BIT?!

Moving on...

LegendaryGamer0 said:
I'm going to be seen as fucking insane
'Fraid so. The local anime club viewed Kaiji and it's as depressing as the end-theme sounds. Naturally, I don't wanna spoil anything for those who haven't seen it, but there are other gambling animes that are more upbeat than that. The Legend of Koizumi, of course, is so massively over-the-top that you cannot get it down.

But hey, I have one that is NOT MENTIONED YET.

Yakitate Japan!

It's...
About...
BREAD!!

Infernai said:
Berser- Umm...

Black Lagoo-errr....

Hell...sing...hrmm. Damn this is harder then I thought.
Your avatar is perfect for that part of your post. So funny.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
RedDeadFred said:
Steins Gate was fairly upbeat. Sure, there are sad parts and plenty of dramatic tension, but the characters are great and there's a lot of lighthearted humor. Plus, as you wanted, it's fairly short. It's pretty well known though, so maybe you've already seen it.
Upbeat with sad parts? Sure, in the same way Madoka was.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
joshuaayt said:
RedDeadFred said:
Upbeat with sad parts? Sure, in the same way Madoka was.
That's not true, Stein;sGate got a happy ending instead of a horrifying one that can only be described as "well, at least it's not hell and there's some positives to it".

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Lightspeaker said:
A Fork said:
...and Angel Beats.
Infernai said:
...and Angel Beats!
You two are both crazy! I love Angel Beats. Deeply. But I have it on DVD and I have watched it precisely once about three years ago and to this day I cannot bring myself to watch it again because just hearing the OP or ED makes me start crying.
I have just the cure for that then!

More seriously: Don't believe that opening. To borrow some of the YouTube comments:

*Watches this intro
Well, this looks like it'll be a fun series!
22 minutes later
Oh my GOD, that was dark! You lied to me intro!
Haven't seen an opening lie to me so much about a show like this since Modaka Magicia LOL
if you play a game by guess the type of anime by their opening, nobody would get this one right.
for a pretty dark themed anime this is really cheerful

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Since no one mentioned these two yet: Moyashimon and Moyashimon: Returns. There's a bit of tension and hardships in them, but other than that they're both up beat and really fun and just all around perfect. There aren't many episodes and most are hoping for another continuation of the series, because the manga goes so much farther than the show.

Also if you're in the mood for some awkward, borderline and hinted boy love, with a dash of crossdressing cuteness. Watch Princess Princess. It's super fluffy, mostly comedy, the only emotionally trying parts have great resolutions. Especially the one in Episode nine between Yuujirou and his baby half brother, I won't spoil it, but you'll be laughing for a good half an hour after that.

Also to address the 800 pound gorilla in the room... Lucky Star is a cute, happy, silly, slice of life sorta affair, revolving around minor school drama, and it's all done in adorable chibi style.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
FalloutJack said:
'Fraid so. The local anime club viewed Kaiji and it's as depressing as the end-theme sounds. Naturally, I don't wanna spoil anything for those who haven't seen it, but there are other gambling animes that are more upbeat than that.
Yes but does any other anime have you cheering along with the crowd upon Kaiji going for broke?!?

KAAAAAIIIIJIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Funny enough, the friend I saw it with also first saw it in an anime club, an episode on the Espoir. Though from the sounds of it, you guys never saw the second season. GO SEE IT.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Angel Beats deals the idea of death, and what it means or the extent of its tragedy, better than a lot of shows.

Cardcaptor Sakura deals with a whole lot of issues with a nuance rarely encapsulated in anime or manga. Homosexuality, first crushes, or the simple process of having to deal with bullies. The animation is gorgeous and the layered relationships transcend the trite tropes you see in other shows.

Welcome to the NHK deals with the psychology of people who flunk out of life. The means to claw oneself back from the brink of worse insanities, and that no one gets there alone. The story of the journey is incredibly heroic without having to save the world from some esoteric danger.

But the number 1 uplifting anime/manga I've seen is Planetes.

Planetes is a story of humanity's progress. Hard science fiction about humanity's first major steps to colonising and exploring our Solar system. It deals with a whole lot of issues and spiral out from it in a cohesive and realistic fashion. Namely resource consolidation of major powers, environmentalism, terrorism, and ambition (whether people or corporations).

What it means to progress as a species and how space represents the potential of our species to either bring us together, or tear us apart.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Yes but does any other anime have you cheering along with the crowd upon Kaiji going for broke?!?

Yeah, actually, there have been.

But I think you're right about not seeing second season. I just don't think it's positive. Neither is FMA.

Pirate Of PC Master race

Rambles about half of the time
Jun 14, 2013
LegendaryGamer0 said:
KAAAAAIIIIJIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Funny enough, the friend I saw it with also first saw it in an anime club, an episode on the Espoir. Though from the sounds of it, you guys never saw the second season. GO SEE IT.
Nope, this was one of those anime that I could not binge watch because it was mentally exhausting.
And anything that takes this much effort isn't positive.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Pirate Of PC Master race said:
Nope, this was one of those anime that I could not binge watch because it was mentally exhausting.
And anything that takes this much effort isn't positive.
Was it really? Probably different strokes for different folks but me and said friend were burning through it and have seen it in the span of about 2 weeks solely due to obligation complications or we'd have probably finished in under 1.

Was it really that mentally draining?

Pirate Of PC Master race

Rambles about half of the time
Jun 14, 2013
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Was it really? Probably different strokes for different folks but me and said friend were burning through it and have seen it in the span of about 2 weeks solely due to obligation complications or we'd have probably finished in under 1.
Was it really that mentally draining?
When I say binge watching I mean 5~15ish episodes per one sitting. So usually it wouldn't even take a week.

Kaiji made me stop about every 3 episodes.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The main one that comes to mind now is Log Horizon. Its about people stuck in an mmo but without the usual bs. Like if you die in the game, you don't stay dead, so they can actually have fun with the setting. Its a fantastic series with great dubbing.

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
This is all based on hearsay, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Toradora I've heard good things about. It seems really positive, since it's slice of life and a romcom.

MY love STORY has some pretty decent early episodes and, from I've seen, it's pretty cheerful as well.

Monster Musume literally revolves around the main character being good and good things happening to him. At least, everyone I've talked to says that they want to be in his position. That's all up to you.