Looking for shows/books/films about lonely people getting friends

ChanTheNoob

Dec 6, 2011
Try About a Boy, it's a book that got made into a film a few years ago, about a boy (duh) who is constantly bullied at school and a man who has loads of material possessions but no friends, and the idea is that they both learn to mature as people throughout the book/film as friends

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Persona 4 is an excellent, excellent choice in my book. If you've got a PS2 or a Vita, this game is easily a no-brainer. If you don't then the anime is a more-than servicable substitute (although the game itself is obviously the superior choice).

Not gonna lie, the ending of the game gave me feels. I honestly can't think of any other game that EVER gave me feels.

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
If you're looking for a show about friendship, look no further.

Some alcohol may be required. -_-

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
xplosive59 said:
Welcome to The NHK is pretty much the GOAT show for this kind of stuff, although it may not be what you are looking for.
It is still quite good anime :D

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I think your better off finding real people at clubs or something. Sounds like you need them. This isnt an insult to you, just saying it seems a "need" and it sounds like your a lonely person that needs someone. But i could be wrong, and this is just the type of thing you like, if so i apologise.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Amethyst Wind said:
Spirited Away would be a good one. Only the sub though. The dub censors too much stuff.
This

xplosive59 said:
Welcome to The NHK is pretty much the GOAT show for this kind of stuff, although it may not be what you are looking for.
and that. If you want another good one: Stein's Gate. Although it's a bit less about finding new friends than trying to keep them (*cough*)

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
xplosive59 said:
Why is it that I can never be the one to suggest this?

However, do yourself the favour and watch Welcome To The NHK, but for the love of god, do not try to blast through it and make it a marathon. The series can really be depressing and after watching 6 episodes straight my entire weekend was spent in apathy. Great series, but pace yourself.

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
WATCH BECK: MONGOLIAN CHOP SQUAD!

Beautiful slice of life anime about a loser who becomes a rock star(This is really general, it takes him almost ten years to reach that point I think). Its got everything comedy, action, romance, drama, and an amazing cast of characters. Seriously go watch it dub, the animation quality is poor but the dub actors keep you from ever really noticing it. Great sound track and a great story. Please just watch it this anime doesn't have nearly enough exposure.
Seriously the dub is amazing, for me personally, being able to hear all the nuances in their voices made it 10x better, plus no stupid engrish. Meh trailer, but all the episodes or on hulu if you want to start watching.

tardcore

Jan 15, 2011
Dismal purple" post="18.408895.17092057 said:
I loved watching Say "I love you" and My Little Monster and wouldn't mind finding similar stuff. Ironically I've had a similar experience to the events in those (but without the boyfriends).

A couple of ideas spring to mind. My Bodyguard film/book, and the Steve Martin film The Lonely Guy.

Mossberg Shotty

Jan 12, 2013
Byte2222 said:
I guess Hot Fuzz would count but you should just watch that anyway, it's so much fun
I love that movie, and I was really surprised about how maturely it handled the subject of loneliness amidst all the awesomeness and comedy.

OP, have you ever considered actually trying to go and meet people? Watching/reading about loneliness can be fun, but it's hardly a solution.

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
The Legend of Black Heaven AKA Kacho-Ouji - Hard Rock save the Space. A show about a has-been rockstar, now a middle-aged salaryman, living a life with no spark left in it. That is, until he meets an alien lady, who tells him that only his guitar can save the universe. To do this he needs to put the old band back together, but it turns out the world has moved on.

It's probably not exactly what you're looking for, and to be honest not that great beyond the initial premise... But admit it, you're curious now.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
You can read both of these online in english.

Korean webcomic called Noblesse is a nice romance-free action fighting series that focuses on Friendship & has a cast of attractive woobies who dealt with loneliness, especial Raizel who lived alone for thousands of years, & M-21 who lost all of his comrades & had to make a new life for himself.

Japanese manga Hunter x Hunter is another no-romance no-ecchi focus-on-friendship fighting action series. Killua makes his very first friends as a preteen, & because of his families business, his older brother tries to prevent him from keeping friends. Gon had no one his age to play with as a kid. Kurapica's best friend & family was murdered & he lived alone for years.

Dismal purple

Oct 28, 2010
Mossberg Shotty said:
Byte2222 said:
I guess Hot Fuzz would count but you should just watch that anyway, it's so much fun
I love that movie, and I was really surprised about how maturely it handled the subject of loneliness amidst all the awesomeness and comedy.

OP, have you ever considered actually trying to go and meet people? Watching/reading about loneliness can be fun, but it's hardly a solution.
I used to be alone but now I have several friends and a lot of people around me. =)