Looking for some East-Asian resources for a game.

Proven Paradox

Apr 10, 2011
TL;DR version: I'm looking for SNES or Genesis games that include an oriental-themed section to them for use in a DnD game, or similar ways I could get some images to use in this vein.

Full version:
Hello all. Getting straight to it, I'm starting up a IRC/Maptool based DnD game soon. For those who don't know what Maptool is, here's their website [http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=maptool]. I've been fooling around with the program to see what I can produce with it, and so far I'm very pleased with the results.
This was done using one stock texture found online for the wood floors and furnishings extracted from an SNES game. (Cudos to those who can name the game just from this.) Once the extractions were done, this mock-up took something like half an hour to make, and I really like the look. Throw down a couple of rugs and figure out a way to make furniture in that bottom left room not look like complete ass, and I'd call that a complete home for my setting. (If you have any suggestions for the not-looking-like-ass part, I'd love to hear that too: the perspective there makes it really tricky.)

Here's the thing. This game is going to take place primarily in my setting's Not-Japan/Not-China with a just a hint of Not-India. And thus far, I haven't found a whole lot of images to get some oriental style furnishings for my game. What I have, I've gotten from Legend of the Mystical Ninja, but I need more, and I'm completely blanking on other games with oriental settings/levels. By and large I'm hoping to stick to SNES/Sega Genesis era games, as I've got a pretty solid method developed for getting the images I need, but I'm open to other methods as well if you guys have suggestions.

So, fellow Escapist readers, I come to you. Could I get some recommendations for games to look up with oriental scenery or some other methods I might use to build up my collection?

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
I can't really help you locate the sources you need, but I can offer this advice:

Research what the symbols and patterns are before using them, so you can avoid the mistake CDProjekt Red made when they accidentally used Muslim prayer mats in a brothel in The Witcher 2.

They also wanted to use a non-specific, Oriental-ish, religious theme for their designs, but unwittingly used a pattern from a Muslim prayer mat on some screens in a brothel, which they had to remove in a patch (not because they were pandering to the threats of militant Muslims, but because they specifically didn't want to use anything related to real-world religions and that inclusion was an oversight which went against their design intentions).

You could try looking at the Sega Gamegear game Defenders of Oasis, which has an Arabian Nights theme and may contain some textures you could use.

Proven Paradox

Apr 10, 2011
It's worth noting that it's only going to be me and four other dudes who I know well seeing these maps. I'm not particularly worried about offending my players: the blasphemous lot of us are going to Hell anyway.

That said, I have in mind not including any actual symbols. There'll be statues of religious figures (apparently Buddha is a Pretty Big Deal) but they'll be limited to shrines and the like.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I don't want to sound critical of what you're actually doing. It's fine to make a setting which is basically bits of East and South Asia mixed together. Heck, Exalted does it really well.

Just a tiny tiny point which might sound like political correctness but hear me out. Don't use the word Oriental to describe it unless you're deliberately making it to reflect how 18th and 19th century white people thought Asia (which mostly meant the middle east) was like, which is a bit like this:

Now, that might actually be a reasonably correct description of what you're going for, in which case go for it. But if you're looking for a neutral description of Asia, especially east Asia, then that term isn't it, and Oriental, beyond being a bit offensive as a concept, doesn't really convey the right idea.

OT: I wish I could help, I'll have a look around for anything you might be able to use.

Proven Paradox

Apr 10, 2011
Actually, I appreciate the correction--I'm absolutely using "Oriental" completely wrong there. I've edited the topic title appropriately.

For clarification, my setting's Not-Middle East is separate from its Not-Japan/China/East Asia. Not-India is kind of split between them. One of my players has confirmed that their character will be from said Not-Middle East, but I doubt the game will go there at any point. The feel I want here is along the lines of Samurai flicks and Wuxia-style antics. There will be ninjas, samurai badasses, and so on, and they will all tell physics where they can shove it regularly. I'll probably be watching some Toshiro Mifune films for inspiration at some point if I can dig them up, as well as more recent stuff like Hero. Maybe Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, but I actually didn't like that one as much for some reason. The overall feel should be somewhere between those. (If anyone has suggestions for other sources of inspiration, I might look those up as well, but the main thing I want to focus on is stuff for the map.)

I actually got quite a bit from Legend of the Mystical Ninja. So far I don't have anything for a sakura grove scene though, and that seems customary. I feel like finding something for that shouldn't be so hard, but most of my time with the SNES was spent with jRPGs which, strangely enough, spend most of their time in European inspired settings.