Looking for some good PC action RPG's

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
I suppose you could go for Vampire: The Masquerade.
It does not contain any looting as far as I know, however.

Andrew Record

Nov 28, 2011
Draech said:
Not to sound like a douche....

But insisting that it has to be an Action RPG and be a PC exclusive kinda rubs me the wrong way. Just get an action RPG on any of the platforms you have. You got multiple platforms you said.

Action RPG's are easily market on all platforms these days often with a heavy emphasis on the console market.

If you wanted a text heavy "deep" RPG then PC is probably the platfomr you will have the most luck with finding a game, but by the looks of things that isn't what you want.
Nowhere in my original post did i say i have multiple platforms. I only have one. My ps3. I have rpgs for it, however my pc can do more, hold more, and i can play games with friends across distances much greater that my ps3 community can reach. It may rub you the wrong way, and i apologize, however please don't assume i'm laying a ban-hammer on consoles. I just don't feel like shelling out 60 bones for a game i can't mod, use LAN play with, or even put on another machine (DRM titles, notwithstanding). Plus with Steam Sales, GOG, and other website/clients i can get a ton of quality games for dirt cheap.

Kilroy17

Jul 18, 2011
Borderlands I'd recommend highly. I'm on like my 7th play through and still enjoying it.

Andrew Record

Nov 28, 2011
Guy Jackson said:
I recommend Torchlight. It doesn't have much of a story but the gameplay is a lot of fun and the RPG mechanics have a fair bit of depth (for an action RPG).

Erm... also...
Indeed, torchlight is fun, and extremely reminiscent of the first Diablo due to constantly descending under a town (Wink). I enjoy it quite a bit.

10BIT

Sep 14, 2008
Andrew Record said:
Does Dragon Knight Saga include Divinity 2 Ego Draconis?
Yes. It contains Ego Draconis and the DLC Flame of Vengeance with improved combat, difficulty curve and a better engine.

Edit: you may like to know a patch [http://www.larian.com/dks_DRM_free_community.php] to remove DRM has recently been released.

Andrew Record

Nov 28, 2011
10BIT said:
Andrew Record said:
Does Dragon Knight Saga include Divinity 2 Ego Draconis?
Yes. It contains Ego Draconis and the DLC Flame of Vengeance with improved combat, difficulty curve and a better engine.
Woot, good thing its the one i grabbed. Thanks a ton :)

gideonkain

Nov 12, 2010
Andrew Record said:
gideonkain said:
Andrew Record said:
The witcher 1. Haven't tried 2, because 1 annoyed me so much. 1 also didn't run that great on my machine. Its somewhat old. It plays Skyrim adequately, if not for stuttering every few moments to load a new area.
Omg, Play Witcher 2.
I played Witcher 1 for 15 minutes, about 5 times (never even got out of the tutorial where that Mantis attacks the castle) because the combat was clunky and the game was not optimized.

Witcher 2 is easily the greatest Action RPG since....Drakan: Order of the Flame (*crickets*)
Drakan: Order of the Flame is easily in my top 10 games of all time. Forgot about that one *lashes myself, monk style* Gonna grab Witcher 2 as it seems to be solid.
So glad that A) you took my advice and B) Someone else knows Drakan (it's my avatar after all)

Witcher 2 has virtually no relation to Witcher 1, other than some storyline elements, the Combat is some of the most visceral in any game, ever...do yourself a favor and play it on Easy, it's the right amount of challenge, on Normal you can defeat an enemy but you will never win the game because it takes a full minute to kill someone without dying yourself multiply that by the 50,000 enemies in your way and you ge t the idea.

I thought Witcher 1 was a stupid game and never understood the love it got (probably had as awesome a stort as Witcher 2 but I never got over waiting for "sparklies" to appear on your sword in order to optimize attack...um, No.

Also, full frontal (female) nudity anytime you like, so if thats your thing, it also shows you how mature the world is compared to other games where sex only happens before or after the game takes place

Machocruz

Aug 6, 2010
Ultima Underground 1 and 2 - paved the way for the likes of Gothic, Elder Scrolls, Dark Souls, most single character 3rd or 1st person action-RPGs

Divine Divinity - Diablo clone on the surface, but is actually a substantial RPG in the Ultima 7 or 8 mold. Great music, tons of interactive objects, detailed graphics.

Deus Ex 1 - one of the best game of all time, and the few where choices actually affect the story. More of a true RPG than most "pure" CRPGs.

Gothic 1 or 2 - just good games like Risen.

Andrew Record

Nov 28, 2011
gideonkain said:
Andrew Record said:
gideonkain said:
Andrew Record said:
The witcher 1. Haven't tried 2, because 1 annoyed me so much. 1 also didn't run that great on my machine. Its somewhat old. It plays Skyrim adequately, if not for stuttering every few moments to load a new area.
Omg, Play Witcher 2.
I played Witcher 1 for 15 minutes, about 5 times (never even got out of the tutorial where that Mantis attacks the castle) because the combat was clunky and the game was not optimized.

Witcher 2 is easily the greatest Action RPG since....Drakan: Order of the Flame (*crickets*)
Drakan: Order of the Flame is easily in my top 10 games of all time. Forgot about that one *lashes myself, monk style* Gonna grab Witcher 2 as it seems to be solid.
So glad that A) you took my advice and B) Someone else knows Drakan (it's my avatar after all)

Witcher 2 has virtually no relation to Witcher 1, other than some storyline elements, the Combat is some of the most visceral in any game, ever...do yourself a favor and play it on Easy, it's the right amount of challenge, on Normal you can defeat an enemy but you will never win the game because it takes a full minute to kill someone without dying yourself multiply that by the 50,000 enemies in your way and you ge t the idea.

I thought Witcher 1 was a stupid game and never understood the love it got (probably had as awesome a stort as Witcher 2 but I never got over waiting for "sparklies" to appear on your sword in order to optimize attack...um, No.

Also, full frontal (female) nudity anytime you like, so if thats your thing, it also shows you how mature the world is compared to other games where sex only happens before or after the game takes place
The witcher 1 got on my shit list when making certain potions required me to practically use a periodic table of elements. Some of the boss fights were so stupidly cheap and short sighted that i nearly rage quit, and this is coming from someone who beat Demons Souls all the way through with the starting Knight gear. Admittedly my second playthrough was easymode thanks to the Greatsword of Moonlight, but still, back on topic. Plus with Witcher 1, i freaking hated Stance Dancing every 4.2 seconds. Yes a stance system adds depth to combat, but when its implemented so annoyingly, i just can't take it.

Andrew Record

Nov 28, 2011
Draech said:
Andrew Record said:
Draech said:
Not to sound like a douche....

But insisting that it has to be an Action RPG and be a PC exclusive kinda rubs me the wrong way. Just get an action RPG on any of the platforms you have. You got multiple platforms you said.

Action RPG's are easily market on all platforms these days often with a heavy emphasis on the console market.

If you wanted a text heavy "deep" RPG then PC is probably the platfomr you will have the most luck with finding a game, but by the looks of things that isn't what you want.
Nowhere in my original post did i say i have multiple platforms. I only have one. My ps3. I have rpgs for it, however my pc can do more, hold more, and i can play games with friends across distances much greater that my ps3 community can reach. It may rub you the wrong way, and i apologize, however please don't assume i'm laying a ban-hammer on consoles. I just don't feel like shelling out 60 bones for a game i can't mod, use LAN play with, or even put on another machine (DRM titles, notwithstanding). Plus with Steam Sales, GOG, and other website/clients i can get a ton of quality games for dirt cheap.
I did read it the wrong way. My bad.

Thou finding any game with LAN support today is near impossible. LAN gaming died when we got prober connects on vast majority of the market. Narrowing it down even further and making it action RPG is going to be hard to find anything.

Grap Dungeon Defenders. They have LAN and modding support in that. It all comes down to wether or not you like the Hero Siege style gameplay.
Agreed that LAN play is all but dead, thats why i keep a pristine install of Diablo 2 around and Hamachi so my buddy and me can avoid all the Battle.net nonsense. Also thank you for not flaming my rebuttal, i have a tendency to sound douche-y without meaning to. Dungeon Defenders is on my want to get list. Gonna do some more research on it and find out if it's a game i need now lol.

Machocruz

Aug 6, 2010
Ultima Underground 1 and 2 - paved the way for the likes of Gothic, Elder Scrolls, Dark Souls, most single character 3rd or 1st person action-RPGs

Divine Divinity - Diablo clone on the surface, but is actually a substantial RPG in the Ultima 7 or 8 mold. Great music, tons of interactive objects, detailed graphics.

Deus Ex 1 - one of the best game of all time, and the few where choices actually affect the story. More of a true RPG than most "pure" CRPGs.

Gothic 1 or 2 - just good games like Risen.

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
If you try TW2 (since there are quite a few enthusiastic fans), just be sure to take all system requirements very seriously. You said your pc was a little old, and TW2 can really make processors and graphics cards sweat blood.

gideonkain

Nov 12, 2010
Andrew Record said:
gideonkain said:
Andrew Record said:
gideonkain said:
Andrew Record said:
Omg, Play Witcher 2.

The witcher 1 got on my shit list when making certain potions required me to practically use a periodic table of elements. Some of the boss fights were so stupidly cheap and short sighted that i nearly rage quit, and this is coming from someone who beat Demons Souls all the way through with the starting Knight gear. Admittedly my second playthrough was easymode thanks to the Greatsword of Moonlight, but still, back on topic. Plus with Witcher 1, i freaking hated Stance Dancing every 4.2 seconds. Yes a stance system adds depth to combat, but when its implemented so annoyingly, i just can't take it.
Again, I started Witcher 1, they showed me Wolf Mode and Cat mode or whatever, thought that was dumb, told me to wait till my sword sparkles, thought that was dumb, and I quit...when you don't like the most basic interactions in a game no real reason to stick around and see if it gets better, I don't care if the story is EPIC

Witcher 2's combat is very fluid, your lunging 6 feet and stabbing a guy i nthe throat and then spinning 180 and leg sweeping the guy about to hit you with an axe chop, you got some magic and bombs to be all roguish, but I usually just rely on countering. When you play, get the whirlwind ability, it makes your sword actually hit all the enemies it goes through, instead of just the one you targeted.

Lemme know what you think of it, I bet it will be the "most unexpectedly awesome game" you ever played, it was for me and it sounds like we have similar game styles (Gothic, Risen...ARcania?) Drakan, Divinity II (to a lesser extent)

end_boss

Jan 4, 2008
Although I haven't played it myself yet, I keep hearing good things about Icewind Dale, and it sells for cheap on GOG.com. Supposed to be a very good action RPG.

zerobudgetgamer

Apr 5, 2011
Have you explored any F2P MMO's? I know it's a little harder to really nail down a specific genre like Action RPG, but there are a few good ones out there that can keep you going for a month or two. Spiral Knights and Rusty Hearts are a couple of pretty good ones, and they're both on Steam. I haven't really been looking for any new ones myself, but I know there's never a short supply out there.

Mark Benedict

Nov 11, 2011
I'm a fan of the Deus Ex series. I enjoyed Human Revolution, but I'm still working on the original.

DX1 is definitely slower and older-styled. It's an excellent game, but I can totally understand not being into it. It's sparse with upgrades and there are quite a few good ones to choose from. I might be playing it "wrong", but I'm still on my first run-through.

Human Revolution feels like DX1 gameplay dropped into a modern FPS. The best analogy I can think of is that Deus Ex is like D&D 3.5 and Human Revolution is like D&D 4E. Same game, but the newer one is more steamlined and has more emergent complexity as opposed to upfront. If you believe in Metacritic, both games have the same score. Deus Ex 1 IS better, but Human Revolution is still very good.

Definitely worth a look-at if you want a bit more action in your Action-RPG.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Something other than Skyrim?
Okay...
How about... Nox?
It's a pretty old game though...
Otherwise, you could try Fable: The Lost Chapters.

agrash

Jul 4, 2011
kotor 1/2
fable
jade empire
vampire bloodlines: masquerade
dark messiah
drakensang 1/2
dragon age 1/2
titan quest