Looking for sort of a "normal-paced Devil May Cry" game for PC

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Gundam GP01 said:
You asked for a game that's like a series of crazy awesome spectacle fighters, except with none of the qualities that make a crazy awesome spectacle fighter, and you tell us not to recommend what's probably the only series to fit that description, and shoot down pretty much everything else.

What the hell else did you expect?
Read the first post to find out what I'm expecting. A little hint: It's not a game that's exactly like Devil May Cry. I only used Devil May Cry as an example of atmosphere and setting I want this game to be set in, more or less.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is a fair bit slower paced than DMC.

DMC4 on PC is like the best hack n slash there is though.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
The White Hunter said:
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is a fair bit slower paced than DMC.
It's still too fast, though.

Someone on another site suggested something more fitting. Ninja Blade, made by none other than From Software. It has a surprisingly realistic swing speed and pacing for a slasher. While it doesn't have the whole gothic atmosphere I was looking for, the combat looks great and there's a lot of twisted creatures that From is best at creating. HERE [https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=eZwFuXEskEY#t=183] is a gameplay video beginning exactly at a fight scene for anyone interested.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Maybe Severance: Blade of Darkness? It's somewhat similar in gameplay style to Dark Souls. Not really gothic though, and perhaps a little too dated.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
I tried playing Severance numerous times and was always put off by the general clunkiness of controls the game had. Maybe I'm missing out on something great, I'm not sure. One thing is certain, though - I'm not willing to torture myself with something I find near unplayable to find out.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Chimpzy said:
Maybe Severance: Blade of Darkness? It's somewhat similar in gameplay style to Dark Souls. Not really gothic though, and perhaps a little too dated.

I cam here to suggest that. It's full of old, dark castles and lovely lighting for the time. The combat is slow paced and intense (and pretty gory) and, as mentioned, handles similarly to Dark Souls.

Maybe Die By The Sword and Rune Classic would scratch your itch, too? Worth looking into. Both quite old and clunky, though.

It's actually a pretty tough request, I'm only now realising how cool DMC's levels actually look and feel.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
ScrabbitRabbit said:
Maybe Die By The Sword and Rune Classic would scratch your itch, too? Worth looking into. Both quite old and clunky, though.
While Die By The Sword is an epitome of clunkiness and awkwardness in combat (this system would be great for a motion controller, like the Wii, though), original Rune is still relatively playable... as long as you keep running around your enemy smacking him in the head with whatever weapon it is you're holding at the moment... and don't block cause shields don't work as intended... and jump around like crazy... Ah, who am I kidding? They're both clunky as hell. Too bad there are no modern games that dark (except for Dark Souls and soon-to-come-out Shadow of Mordor)

ScrabbitRabbit said:
It's actually a pretty tough request, I'm only now realising how cool DMC's levels actually look and feel.
Honestly, I haven't realized it's that tough until you said this. But come to think of it... I know my games and couldn't really find anything fitting myself.