Looking for Tactical Turn-based RPGs on PC

Jason Danger Keyes

Mar 4, 2009
I've always been a big fan of handheld and console turn-based tactical RPGs like Disgaea, Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Fire Emblem, etc. However, I've sold most of my consoles and I'm looking for games in that style for PC. System requirements are a non-issue, as I can run pretty much anything at max on my computer.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
PoxNora and the Heroes of Might & Magic series are probably the most relevant ones I can think of right now.

Divinity: Original Sin isn't released yet but that is also a Tactical Turn-based RPG even if it does it a little differently.

You might also like to check out games like FTL: Faster Than Light.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Hmmm... depends on exactly what you're looking for. You won't find much exactly like those on the PC, but there are quite a few tactical turn based rpgs out there just in different styles. The recent King's Bounty games play sort of like Heroes of Might & Magic lite with less emphasis on grand strategy or management, but improved focus on turn-based hex combat which to its credit King's Bounty does extremely well. Tons of units with their own special unique abilities, spells, abilities, and modifiers for every battle tend to keep things interesting.

And by the way if you've never played any of the Heroes of Might & Magic series before that's definitely worth looking into as well. Sort of a mix between strategy game and rpg with turn-based combat segments. Some games in the series are better than others but overall it's just a brilliant franchise. 3 in particular although old is probably still the best of the series but really you can't go wrong with any of the games in the franchise, they're all damned good.

But if you want something truly 'hardcore' then there's Temple of Elemental Evil, which as far as games go is probably the best implementation of D&D in a game to date. Light on story but with probably the best turn-based tactical combat I've ever had the pleasure to play in and rpg. Challenging as hell especially if you're not already familiar with D&D to some extent, but extremely satisfying and fun to play once you get into it.

Disciples 2 is also really good, I still absolutely love the games gothic art style and its turn based combat while a bit different compared to any of the above is still extremely fun and compelling. I've heard mixed things about 3 though and never tried it myself, but if you don't mind trying an older game look up Disciples 2, it's really good.

Games like Fallout 1 and 2 are turn based, though I don't think they're what you're looking for. Of course if you're willing to give rtwp gameplay a try (Real Time With Pause, meaning it basically acts as turn based behind the scenes but gives the illusion of being real-time save for the ability to pause and que up commands.) then that opens up a massive library of PC games from Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate to Knights of the Old Republic and even Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

aaronobst

Needs a life
Aug 20, 2010
Does Civ V count? Also Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, boy I have racked up some hours on that over the years.

Jason Danger Keyes

Mar 4, 2009
Ickorus said:
PoxNora and the Heroes of Might & Magic[...] FTL: Faster Than Light.
I hadn't heard about the first two, but I love FTL. I'll look into them.

The Madman said:
King's Bounty[...] Heroes of Might & Magic[...] Temple of Elemental Evil[...] Disciples 2
Those all look really cool from the gameplay vids I looked up, definitely a lot to check out.

The Madman said:
Fallout 1 and 2[...] Planescape: Torment[...] Baldur's Gate[...] Knights of the Old Republic[...]Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.
Played and loved all of those. Great suggestions, but I was looking more for the grid-style turn-based combat of Disgaea/ FFT.

aaronobst said:
Does Civ V count? Also Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, boy I have racked up some hours on that over the years.
I don't even want to know how many hours I've played and enjoyed Civ V, haha. I've always wanted to check out Alpha Centauri, not sure where to find it, though.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Jason Danger Keyes said:
aaronobst said:
I don't even want to know how many hours I've played and enjoyed Civ V, haha. I've always wanted to check out Alpha Centauri, not sure where to find it, though.
GOG.com has most of the best older games, you can find Alpha Centauri there:

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/sid_meiers_alpha_centauri

Jason Danger Keyes

Mar 4, 2009
Ickorus said:
Jason Danger Keyes said:
aaronobst said:
GOG.com has most of the best older games, you can find Alpha Centauri there:

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/sid_meiers_alpha_centauri
Wow, this site is a gold mine!

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
I haven't played the older ones, but the new XCOM reminded me a lot of Fire Emblem during the combat sections. The management side of the game is very different and it isn't as plot-heavy but it has tactical, grid-based combat.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Jason Danger Keyes said:
Ickorus said:
PoxNora and the Heroes of Might & Magic[...] FTL: Faster Than Light.
I hadn't heard about the first two, but I love FTL. I'll look into them.

The Madman said:
King's Bounty[...] Heroes of Might & Magic[...] Temple of Elemental Evil[...] Disciples 2
Those all look really cool from the gameplay vids I looked up, definitely a lot to check out.
Temple of Elemental Evil is the closest to what you're looking for. Make sure to get all the community mods and patches, the game was an absolute mess at release.

HOMM and King's Bounty are not really RPGs. They're strategy games. King's Bounty has some VERY light RPG trappings.

Look into Jagged Alliance 2 as well. It's primarily a strategy game also, but again has some light RPG trappings (probably more than Kings Bounty, really). And, well...XCOM. But I assume you've played that already.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
Silent Storm and Silent Storm: Sentinels are pretty solid, as well.
Get it cheap on gog.com: http://www.gog.com/gamecard/silent_storm_gold
WW2-era games.
You assemble a team of you and 5 others, outfit them with weapons, pick their skills and bring them along on missions.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
The Madman said:
Games like Fallout 1 and 2 are turn based, though I don't think they're what you're looking for. Of course if you're willing to give rtwp gameplay a try (Real Time With Pause, meaning it basically acts as turn based behind the scenes but gives the illusion of being real-time save for the ability to pause and que up commands.) then that opens up a massive library of PC games from Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate to Knights of the Old Republic and even Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.
I'd actually add Fallout Tactics to the list. While it features a semi-real time interface by default, the core is still running the same AP bound system as the other fallout games. While the game is relatively light on story and character - basically the story is something told to you between missions - the fact that you can have a full party of of six characters with you (and under your direct control) makes it a different enough experience to be worthwhile. There are a number of changes to Fallout's systems that facilitate the turned based gameplay as well - engagement ranges can be much, much longer making sniping a truly viable tactic, and the ability to change stances to alter various combat statistics go well with the cover system included in the game. Having full party control also means you can attempt various maneuvers though, unless you play on a hard difficulty and download a few mods that alter the difficulty further, you won't really find that truly necessary if you just want to scrape by.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
Eclectic Dreck said:
The Madman said:
I'd actually add Fallout Tactics to the list. While it features a semi-real time interface by default, the core is still running the same AP bound system as the other fallout games. While the game is relatively light on story and character - basically the story is something told to you between missions - the fact that you can have a full party of of six characters with you (and under your direct control) makes it a different enough experience to be worthwhile. There are a number of changes to Fallout's systems that facilitate the turned based gameplay as well - engagement ranges can be much, much longer making sniping a truly viable tactic, and the ability to change stances to alter various combat statistics go well with the cover system included in the game. Having full party control also means you can attempt various maneuvers though, unless you play on a hard difficulty and download a few mods that alter the difficulty further, you won't really find that truly necessary if you just want to scrape by.
Er, you can flat out switch to turn based in Tactics.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Requia said:
Eclectic Dreck said:
The Madman said:
Yes, you can! Going back and reading it appears I launched into my next point without completing the thought!

And, truth told, the game works better in turn based mode. In the semi-real time mode, entire sets of stats are made largely irrelevant. Having very high agility for example could let you fire two bursts from an assault rifle in a round. But in real time mode, that simply amounts to getting to fire two bursts back to back after which everyone resorts to firing at the same speed.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
Eclectic Dreck said:
Requia said:
Eclectic Dreck said:
The Madman said:
Yes, you can! Going back and reading it appears I launched into my next point without completing the thought!

And, truth told, the game works better in turn based mode. In the semi-real time mode, entire sets of stats are made largely irrelevant. Having very high agility for example could let you fire two bursts from an assault rifle in a round. But in real time mode, that simply amounts to getting to fire two bursts back to back after which everyone resorts to firing at the same speed.
It also helps that you can target moving enemies instead of relying on the scripting or trying to engage in twitch based combat. Really should have been real time with pause.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Battle For Wesnoth. It's a free tactical RPG with frequent updates which includes new campaigns and also a lot of user generated content.

Hakazaba

May 1, 2009
There is actually an MMO that does this called Wakfu you may want to check out. Its free to try so you may as well.

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
If no one's stepped forward yet, allow me to suggest Battle for Wesnoth. It's free, isometric-sprite-based, and quite fun. (plus it's got a pretty lengthy set of campaigns if you just want to roll the CPU's guys a bunch of times. Not that rolling them is going to be EASY, mind. They're pretty savvy.)

Ayjona

Jul 14, 2008
The online multiplayer verion of The Banner Saga would probably do some nice itch-scratching for you, and once the single player campaign hits you'll be rolling in TBS goodness.

(Should you happen to own an iOS device, The Ravenmark Saga is actually one of the most sophisticated, skill-based and tactically varied TBS games I've ever played in 15+ years of wargaming, enough to rival many of the most intricate board games, but with many innovative takes on initiative, turn order, commander and troop interaction, logistics, etc. It also happens to have one of the most well-realized and extensive (even though not very original) settings and narratives in modern gaming. The upcoming single player + asynchronous/realtime multiplayer sequel Ravenmark: Mercenaries is already far beyond the original in quality in every mechanical aspect, even at v0.40 beta.)