Looking to buy a new Headset

The Undoer

Sep 13, 2009
Recently I've been looking for a new headset. For that past 2-3 months I've been using a Creative Fatal1ty HS-800 Gaming Headset (This one: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-HS-800-Fatal1ty-Gaming-Headset/dp/B002DS4HTM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323106402&sr=8-1 ) and it's worked great until it went the same way as the past few headsets I've had, the wire has coiled up and eventually broken somewhere along the wire, leaving it pretty much useless as even a slight shift in position stops sound coming out of one of the ear pieces or leaves the microphone useless.

Considering this is the fourth HS-800 to go this way I'm getting rather sick of sending it back to Amazon and requesting a replacement. With my latest attempt at using this particular headset the wire has completely snapped into two after weakening from coiling up beneath my desk and then me trying to straighten it out (relatively gently) into the correct position.

Since my experiences with the Fatal1ty HS-800 headsets have mostly gone horribly wrong due to the wire I'm considering a wireless headset but I don't really understand what all the specs mean.

What effect does the wattage have on the headset?

What is 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 etc? I've read it indicates the amount of speakers but a headset only has two speakers?

What exactly is surround sound? Is that the effect in games which makes the sound come through the speaker to your left if you're shot at from the left (for example)?

Do you have any recommendations for headsets? I'm looking for one with a Microphone, preferably Wireless or sturdy enough to not fall over before 2 years of use, has decent quality of audio from both the microphone and speakers (equal or better than the Creative Fatal1ty HS-800), and has "that effect in games which makes the sound come through the speaker to your left if you're shot at from the left", I'd also prefer a 3.5mm connection to USB, and to be under £100.

Sorry about my complete ignorance on the topic, this is the first time I've had a proper look at headsets and speakers without judging them on comfyness and price.

The Undoer

Sep 13, 2009
Thanks, been trying to get my head around all the terms all week.

Matthew94 said:
Wattage generally means the loudness of sound that it can output
Does wattage effect the quality at higher volumes as well or just the volume?

Matthew94 said:
It really is great, well true SS is.
Also how do I tell whether a headset has true surround sound or not?

Again, thanks a lot.

Limecake

May 18, 2011
The Undoer said:
What effect does the wattage have on the headset?

What is 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 etc? I've read it indicates the amount of speakers but a headset only has two speakers?

What exactly is surround sound? Is that the effect in games which makes the sound come through the speaker to your left if you're shot at from the left (for example)?
I'm not entirely sure what difference wattage makes in regards to headsets (sorry)

you're close with the 2.1, 5.1 and 7.1 but it doesn't mean speakers it only refers to channels. Since you could have 20 speakers all lined on top of each other but only playing stereo sound out of it you wouldn't say you have 20.1 surround sound.

Remember:
mono = one channel
stereo = two channels
Surround sound = anything higher (generally 5.1)

since the headset only has two speakers you'll really only hear stereo but I'm sure there are some fancy panning techniques to simulate surround sound (kind of how ear buds use cheats to give you the 'bass' in your music)

surround sound is generally used with 5 speakers because each of those speakers are assigned a channel (left, right, left behind, right behind and center usually)

EDIT: here's an example of how headphones can 'fake' surround sound The virtual haircut. please note that you need to be wearing headphones for it to work

http://www.virtualbarber.org/page.php?3