Looking underage (The Good Vs. The Bad)

rawfy

Feb 4, 2011
hiya!

I find the idea cropping up quite a bit, and thought I'd take it and bounce it around the good folks here!

I recently had a technician come out, and install my internet/phone. Somewhere down the line he asked "Little young to be living on your own eh?", "hmmm....not exactly" I replied. I then asked how old he thought I was, and he shot in between the 16-18 area. I had a chuckle, and told him I was 22. He then tells me "Sucks now, Rocks later"

I know that it's pretty common for someone's late teens, and early 20's to be indistinguishable..but...what do you find to be the biggest complications/benefits for these pals/gals?

Some of mine:
- Finding an attracted opposite sex person who isn't still intending high school. I mean a person who is your age or older and would be attracted to you would probably want to hide it, being a social stigma and all.

- Being lanky, and going to the gym can be demoralizing.

- It's easier to discredit your opinion...lol

Ok those are my 3 that I'll start with, I'll now see if this is an interesting enough topic to discuss.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Heh. I got the bet of both worlds in that department.

In my teens I looked older than I was. Could walk into a pub at 14. At 17-18 people would guess my age to be about 24.

Now I'm in my mid twenties and people tend to underestimate my age by a few years.

Probably won't last long though, so I'm enjoying it while I can.

rawfy

Feb 4, 2011
Zhukov said:
Heh. I got the bet of both worlds in that department.

In my teens I looked older than I was. Could walk into a pub at 14. At 17-18 people would guess my age to be about 24.

Now I'm in my mid twenties and people tend to underestimate my age by a few years.

Probably won't last long though, so I'm enjoying it while I can.
This is something that crosses my mind, which I forgot to mention. I get the logic behind looking young, and still looking young when your older...but what if...someone get's the 'worst' of both worlds. They just sort of lose that 'young lookin' advantageous whatever, and just fall in to the typical general age category aesthetic when they start reaching there late 20's/early 30's or whatever.

I know not really important...but still...another excuse to mull...hehehe

*a particularly funny cock block moment*

I'm working at an edo japan grill.

Pretty Lady: *after formal small talk* So is this a summer job?
Me: *i forgot what i said, had a "well fuck" feeling, but tried take it in stride, and not radiate some petty vibe*

I mean not saying I was really flirting or putting out some sort of desirable charisma, but still...hehe

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
TopazFusion said:
People often think I'm younger than I actually am.

I sometimes get asked "Got the day off school?"

-_-
I got the opposite, people tend to think I'm older.
I don't LOOK older than I am (at least I don't think I do) but I do have a deeper, older sounding voice than the average male.
Semi-off-topic: That leads to people thinking I'm my dad over the phone simply because we apparently sound the same through it.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
I have a weird situation. My hair has more grey in it than what a 29 year old should have. If you look at my hair i look to be in my early 40's.

BUT my face looks like that of a college student. However, internally it seems like my organs are that of a 40-60 year old. My eyesight, hearing, and smell are all diminishing. Also, im starting to get hair growing out of my ears and nose, which is disgusting. Had to buy a trimmer for that.

I think i caught solid snakes advanced aging condition.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
i've basically been the same age for the last 20 years.
i remember being 15 and walking right up to buy alcohol with zero risk of being carded and just recently having said i had a birthday coming up most ppl were guessing at 20-25

rawfy

Feb 4, 2011
torno said:
TopazFusion said:
People often think I'm younger than I actually am.

I sometimes get asked "Got the day off school?"

-_-
I got the opposite, people tend to think I'm older.
I don't LOOK older than I am (at least I don't think I do) but I do have a deeper, older sounding voice than the average male.
Semi-off-topic: That leads to people thinking I'm my dad over the phone simply because we apparently sound the same through it.
Yeah I suppose another thing to consider is just your general mannerism. I do think that a lot of the assumptions can be quickly disintegrated by how you carry yourself. Suppose it's just something that has to be practiced more as a young looking lad if he wants to fit in less awkwardly....If he's looking to get passed societies gatekeepers/cock blockers

I've sort of taken to solitude so I'm less inclined to mold myself into the more social norms. But for those who will...and before going too far off rail.

rawfy

Feb 4, 2011
Ryotknife said:
I have a weird situation. My hair has more grey in it than what a 29 year old should have. If you look at my hair i look to be in my early 40's.

BUT my face looks like that of a college student. However, internally it seems like my organs are that of a 40-60 year old. My eyesight, hearing, and smell are all diminishing. Also, im starting to get hair growing out of my ears and nose, which is disgusting. Had to buy a trimmer for that.

yeah, I tend to mull over this to....I'm noticing my eyesight is diminishing, as well as other bodily function/flexibility/what have you.

I've just been focusing alot on my current health as of late (chiropractor,gym,somatics/stretching,diet mainly) as I'm starting to fear the 'decrepit young man' situation.

I don't know what your life style is like, but maybe some simple (or simple but complicated..hehe) adjustments could reverse alot of the troubles your having.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
rawfy said:
Ryotknife said:

yeah, I tend to mull over this to....I'm noticing my eyesight is diminishing, as well as other bodily function/flexibility/what have you.

I've just been focusing alot on my current health as of late (chiropractor,gym,somatics/stretching,diet mainly) as I'm starting to fear the 'decrepit young man' situation.

I don't know what your life style is like, but maybe some simple (or simple but complicated..hehe) adjustments could reverse alot of the troubles your having.
im probably spending too much time in the sun and in high winds (I work in the middle of a long stretch of river, so it gets very windy)

I could start working out again.

Luna

Apr 28, 2012
It just seems like a bad thing to me.

First, you look like Frankie Muniz.

Then you look like Frankie Muniz with wrinkles.

Feels good to look my age.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
wheb I went and bought alchohol for the first time ever the guy didnt ask me for ID...I was shocked

people think I'm alot younger than I look, I'm 21 and I could pass for a 16 year old if I tried

when I was 18 my dad got me into the Zoo on a "childs" ticket....I'm assuming a childs ticket is like 12

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Yeah, I'm 21, but I still got to show my ID when I buy games and media for 16+.

One shopkeeper went "Woah!" when he saw my ID with my real age. Real fun -_- .
I'm also the oldest at my work, so I have the task of training new employees (who are often 15-16 years old). Which can lead to weird conversations as well. One time, the new guy lost where I was and started to ask others "where that kid went".

I can totally feel your pain OP. :-(

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I have a coworker who is in her mid 40's. I found this out fairly recently when a bunch of us went out to grab something to eat after our shift. She got ID'd for ordering a beer. Now, I'd been working with her for about six months by that point, and I never would have guessed her to be any older than 25 at the most.

I'm kind of an odd case, though. When I was a teen, everyone thought I looked older. Now that I'm in my mid-20's, everyone seems to think I'm younger. Go figure. Admittedly though, I don't think I'm really going to care in the end whether or not I look older or younger, I just hope I don't lose my hair. Thankfully male pattern baldness doesn't really run in my family.

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
I never had that problem, since I always looked several years older than I was. Of course, the downside is that when I tell people my real age, they almost always say "OMG YOU'RE SUCH A BABY! HOW ADORABLE!" and I feel the sudden urge to detonate a nuclear bomb in the vicinity.

The problem is that whether you look younger or are younger, you're still not going to be taken seriously, so it's a lose-lose situation all the same.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Vault101 said:
wheb I went and bought alchohol for the first time ever the guy didnt ask me for ID...I was shocked

people think I'm alot younger than I look, I'm 21 and I could pass for a 16 year old if I tried

when I was 18 my dad got me into the Zoo on a "childs" ticket....I'm assuming a childs ticket is like 12
Hah, my father used to do the same thing with movie tickets, it annoyed me to no end.

OT: Eh High School kids still won't leave me alone... I'm 22...
And I can't punch them back because I'd go to jail, it's not fair T^T

rawfy

Feb 4, 2011
Thedutchjelle said:
Yeah, I'm 21, but I still got to show my ID when I buy games and media for 16+.

One shopkeeper went "Woah!" when he saw my ID with my real age. Real fun -_- .
I'm also the oldest at my work, so I have the task of training new employees (who are often 15-16 years old). Which can lead to weird conversations as well. One time, the new guy lost where I was and started to ask others "where that kid went".

I can totally feel your pain OP. :-(

Also having to explain why I don't find interest or level of enthusiasm in the same things they do can be quite taxing on the mind.....ahhhhh....I mean it's still pretty easy to associate early twenties with late teens in general habits/trends/social life/whatnot but i'm just not one of those types.

yeah, jobs that are also accessible to teens can lead to much peril...hehe

I found working with a Chinese staff (usually older, but generally better temperament if not) to be pretty therapeutic in this regard. 1st world teenagers just tend to turn my screws loose before long....just a generalization based on my experience.

rawfy

Feb 4, 2011
Kaleion said:
Vault101 said:

Hah, my father used to do the same thing with movie tickets, it annoyed me to no end.

OT: Eh High School kids still won't leave me alone... I'm 22...
And I can't punch them back because I'd go to jail, it's not fair T^T
ah kids will leave you alone if there's a chance they might get hurt.....yeah ok....when your going into anti teenager defense mechanisms it can get a bit on the depressing side. I think i'm lucky in the regards that i'm a pretty big fellow so I usually just need a level of sternness to mediate things.

Still it can be a bother.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
The last couple of years people have been guessing my age younger then I actually am, which is a good thing since I turned 35 last December. As a teen/young adult people always assumed I was older then I was.

So, best of both worlds I guess.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
In person, I look younger than I am, and people think I'm English.

On the net, people think I'm older than I am.