Lord British Presents... A Countdown!

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
An update on the Ultimate RPG [http://portalarium.com/index.php/products/ultimate-rpg] would be cool.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
The Great JT said:
Maybe he'll declare Ultima 9: Ascention non-canon and announce Ultima IX: The Real Ending.
How about both 8 and 9. I heard both were atrocious.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Solo-Wing said:
The Great JT said:
Maybe he'll declare Ultima 9: Ascention non-canon and announce Ultima IX: The Real Ending.
How about both 8 and 9. I heard both were atrocious.
8 at least had potential. It was a step down, sure, but it did present a good dilemma in "how far can 'the ends justify the means' be stretched when the means involve demonic sacrifices, murder, deception and various other forms of skullduggery." Or put another way, "what happens when the ultimate good guy is forced to perform hideous, vile acts in order to strike back at the ultimate evildoer?"

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
First Chris Roberts crawls out of whatever rock he's been under for the last decade with an amazing looking flight sim on kickstarter, and now Lord British comes back. These are guys who used to dominate the industry, but by now I was wondering if they were even alive.

What's next, Ken Silverman comes out with a new engine, and the Levelord gets hired to do level design for Gearbox? Maybe John Romero getting back into the industry?

Exciting times.

P.S.: I just looked up Romero's wikipedia page. The list of games he's been doing for the last decade is just depressing. The last real game he did was Anachronox (the one before it, surprisingly, was the original Red Faction). However, he's been active since then, making shovelware and social games for the likes of THQ and Zynga. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Edit: Oh man, The Levelord has been doing the same kind of thing. Wiki says his most recent game is one of those hidden object deals. I think I need to stop looking up what the pioneers of modern gaming are doing today, because it's too darned depressing.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
MrPeanut said:
The only way any of his projects could gather my actual interest is if he went back in time and undid all the ultima fuckups.

But that's not happening is it.
YMMV, but Nakar's Let's Play [http://lparchive.org/author/Nakar] went a long way towards 'fixing' Ultima IMHO. Steve the Avatar is my headcanon avatar.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Lord British announces his next super awesome and super cool game and how awesome it will be! In other news, the sun rose again this morning and the tide did indeed go out and then in again. This has been No Fucking Shit radio giving you the news on things that happen all the damn time over and over again. We'll be back at 5, 5:30, 6, 6:30, 7, 7:30...

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
Richard Garriot doesn't own Ultima so unless he's partnered up with whoever does, probably E.A, this has nothing at all too do with it. That's why he was going too release "Ultimate" Rpg right? Too skirt the boundaries of trademark law because he couldn't touch Ultima itself.

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
You know what? I'm actually going to be optimistic about this. Richard Garriot is a pioneer. The Ultima series is probably the best example of freeform, non-inclusive moral choice, and an excellent example of using game mechanics to reinforce lore and themes. Color me somewhat interested.

Though, to be honest...I'm not entirely sure.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Solo-Wing said:
DVS BSTrD said:
A countdown to... BETRAYAL!
Nobody wants more Ultima if EA is involved.
[HEADING=2]BETRAYED ME![/HEADING]
"Whats a Paladin?"
[HEADING=1]BETRAYAL!!![/HEADING]

I take it you are also a Spoony fan?

OT: Eh. Never really got into the Ultima series.
Countdown to a Lord British project that could potentially both involve EA AND Ultima?

I'll have the betrayal song-Ultima Edition- bookmarked and ready.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
synobal said:
Eh Lord British isn't relevant any more guys.
Yeah. I mean Jesus, I've had my doubts about Warren Spector lately in that regard - let alone Garriott.