Lord of Waterdeep

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
The hardest part of Lords of Waterdeep I dislike, it is kinda hard to keep track of how well your doing against your opponents, especially in the digital versions.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Is the game really that good? I've been looking up reviews for it...

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
It's a pretty great game, I really enjoy it. It takes a bit of getting used to, but the turns go quickly once you have the hang of it. The game is all about preparation. Honestly, I find Twilight Imperium turns into traitorous back-stabbing similar to Song of Ice and Fire way more quickly than it does in Lords of Waterdeep. Plus it's an all night game, so people get super invested. Before I knew it, peace negotiations between warring countries must have been less tense than things would get at our table.

Edit: Basically, it's a solid game and there's not really a whole lot of ways to screw over other players. Not a LOT, but some. But don't get Twilight Imperium, no matter how competitive your friends are/aren't, because every hour you play it is like a real episode of Babylon Five. Although that might be cool to some people. XD

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Hero in a half shell said:
Malbourne said:
The funny thing about Lords of Waterdeep is that it takes about four games to go from fantasy Monopoly to a live reenactment of season three of Game of Thrones.
Not really sure what the difference is. Monopoly almost always dissolves into bargaining and backstabbing and property-clinging. Do I just have the wrong friends?
I think you've more honest friends than I, our monopoly games begin with blatant cheating and secret deals being struck before the game even starts (don't let 2 people be alone together in the room or several $100 notes will end up in their pockets)

And the game just goes downhill from there.
It's just not monopoly if the bank doesn't get robbed either by Bank Robbers or the Banker, for added authenticity.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
elvor0 said:
Hero in a half shell said:
Malbourne said:
The funny thing about Lords of Waterdeep is that it takes about four games to go from fantasy Monopoly to a live reenactment of season three of Game of Thrones.
Not really sure what the difference is. Monopoly almost always dissolves into bargaining and backstabbing and property-clinging. Do I just have the wrong friends?
I think you've more honest friends than I, our monopoly games begin with blatant cheating and secret deals being struck before the game even starts (don't let 2 people be alone together in the room or several $100 notes will end up in their pockets)

And the game just goes downhill from there.
It's just not monopoly if the bank doesn't get robbed either by Bank Robbers or the Banker, for added authenticity.
I'm just realising that if you modernised monopoly for today's economy the banker would essentially be playing in God mode and cannot lose:

The banker holds everyone's money as well as all the bank reserves. Any purchases are done through the banker for a fee with interest to the banker paid on all property.
If the banker goes personally bankrupt he can use everyone else's money to cover his debt first (without telling them)
Any player that goes bankrupt has control of all their property automatically pass to the banker.
If the banker does somehow go totally bankrupt then everyone loses all their property and a new currency is introduced (to be distributed and controlled by the banker)

schmulki

Oct 10, 2012
Damnit, Waterdeep isn't a good game, people! Want a worker placement game with a great theme, takes under 90 mins to play, has the ability to screw over your neighbors, and hidden points? Play Manhattan Project.

Waterdeep is a shallow (pun intended) worker-placement game with an extremely tacked on theme and "hidden goals" which don't actually add fun decision making to the game. If quest meets goal, take that quest. Gee, that was fun.