Lords of the Fallen - the first Dark Souls clone!

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Just watched this video on Lords of the Fallen. I previously thought it was a generic hack and slash type game, a God of war clone.

In fact it's the first real Dark Souls clone. It seems to bend the mechanics and change a lot of things, going for a similar style of gameplay to Dark Souls , but with less of a focus on ball crushing difficulty and instead changing mechanics around more dynanism. Art style is a bit bland, but overall it looks lik a game that could be on interest to a lot of the Dark Souls fan on here.

Here's the preview:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
There appears to be an impassable fog gate obstructing this video.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
I'd overlook the fact that it's a clone if it went with a different artstyle.

[small]Give me sci fi Dark Souls with giant robots and stuff.[/small]

sataricon

Oct 7, 2014
Challenging games doesn't grow on trees these days and we do need to support this if it's any good.

I kinda wish that they have gone with a different art style as this Blizzard shit is getting old.

ninja51

Mar 28, 2010
You should have watched the video maybe. He clarifies how its not really constructive to think of it as a "SOULS CLONE". It isn't. As the video clarifies, the Souls series was genre defining, almost creating a new genre of action rpg together, Lords of the Fallen is the first in a coming trend of new games in that genre taking those mechanics mastered by the Soul series. Lords is called Clunky Souls not as in insult in the video.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Looks good. I'll definitely consider this game though I'll wait for reviews first. User reviews won't be very reliable though, as I'm sure this game will get review bombed for being a souls clone.

Imitation is the highest form of flattery. The presence of a game like this is just proof of how significant the Souls series has become. As others have said, Souls is genre defining and Lords of the Fallen is the first alternative to the Souls games. Hopefully Fromsoft knock if out of the park again with Bloodborne and whatever "souls" game follows after, as much as I like new faces on this scene, I hope the originators stay strong for a while longer.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
I'd personally like a "casual" Dark Souls. I really like the combat and responsiveness of Dark Souls as well as the general art direction and level design, I just feel like it's a bit too hardcore sometimes and could do with a quicksave, because some of us do have lives outside of wasting hours walking back to retry a boss :p

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Considering I just got into Dark Souls recently and am really loving it, this looks promising, and if it does well, could bode very well for games like this in the future.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
It looks alright.

Combat looks solid, I like what he said about the way experience and the bloodstains work. The art style however looks so incredibly average and uninteresting that I can't get past it. I hate the blizzard style high fantasy bullshit where everything has gigantic shoulders and spikes all over. Dark Souls might not have completely realistic armor and weapons, but they're at least semi-realistic, and this just all looks like form over function (and bad form at that).

Might pick it up eventually but this isn't really a day one purchase.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Eh I like the style of the game but I really dislike how it tries to copy the Souls series, I'm not a fan of Souls due to their style of gameplay,mechanics and balls to the walls difficulty with super cryptic lore, for every game trying to be Souls is a game I just can't buy which means I've less choice.

ninja51

Mar 28, 2010
endtherapture said:
I'd personally like a "casual" Dark Souls. I really like the combat and responsiveness of Dark Souls as well as the general art direction and level design, I just feel like it's a bit too hardcore sometimes and could do with a quicksave, because some of us do have lives outside of wasting hours walking back to retry a boss :p
I totally agree, its what has kept me from still finishing Dark Souls 2. Now I've seen it played through and talked about again and again by my friends so I have intimate knowledge of the ending and such, but it gets exhausting to play in big chunks to me. Having to retread your steps again and again just stops being fun after awhile. When it stops being fun I get sucked into another game and by the time I come back, I've got so many bonfire travel spots I can't even remember where my path forwards was again. I played through the entire black knight lava castle again only to remember at the very end I already killed the lava demon. It and Dark Souls 1 have incredible art styles and boss fights of unparalleled scale, the gameplay is sharp as all hell, and the weapon and armour variety is pretty damn cool. It's just that neither has any consideration for the gamer who can't play the entire game straight through in a few sittings. I can come back to a Skyrim save years later and with a look at my quest log start piecing together and remembering where I was and what I need to do. I don't necessarily think laying the quest all out on a silver platter with a nice arrow and infinite quicksaves is the option, but a general direction and a better autosave system I don't think should be out of the question. Hopefully the new games in this genre can take some steps in a more casual sense, perhaps with a heavier focus on being more of a long rpg. Then we could have the excellent fighting mechanics, better saving and direction mechanics, and all that sweet story and character goodness a more committed RPG gives you

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Despite the obvious ripping off of the series (and maybe it's not ripping off but is "genre defining" I dunno) I think I could enjoy this game if the animation wasn't so fucking awful. Souls has never had amazing animation but this... god, nothing looks natural. It seems like nothing connects right and everything apart from the arms reacts solely on momentum.

I dunno, I'll play it when it's on sale in a year or so but right now it just seems kinda bad.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Isn't Dark Souls basically a 'King's Field' clone?

So, yeah, a Clone of a Clone?

THE CLONE WARZ!

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Tanis said:
Isn't Dark Souls basically a 'King's Field' clone?

So, yeah, a Clone of a Clone?

THE CLONE WARZ!
King's Field was made by From Software, which also made Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Dark Souls 2. You can't say that it's a clone if it's from the same studio.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
The combat looks quite a bit better than Dark Souls, which disappointed me tremendously. Dark Souls isn't a skill-based difficulty, you will do as well as you are patient; Lords looks more skill-based. And it looks like light characters will play like light characters in Lords, something Dark Souls failed at. Dark Souls isn't that good of a game, it's merely the only game of its kind currently so it's the best by default. I'm not terribly interested in Lords though, I'm so done with standard fantasy, it's been done to death, it's for RPGs what the WWII and now Modern Military Shooters are for shooters. Fantasy means ANYTHING that isn't real, not only one fucking specific kind of fantasy.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Aerosteam said:
I'd overlook the fact that it's a clone if it went with a different artstyle.

[small]Give me sci fi Dark Souls with giant robots and stuff.[/small]
Dark Souls meets Darksiders. There!

:)

As for the game itself. I got turned off by a trailer when they showed a brooding frowning buff protagonist waking up around a bunch of moaning naked big titty whores, getting geared up then so he can go smash an axe into some monsters face. Yeah... if it's not done as a joke, I'm just tired of seeing the 14 year old male power fantasy in games and movies. Where everything is objectified with Rob Liefeld's standard's on how everything should look and work.

The west just doesn't seem ready for this type of Japanese influence and appeal.

:/

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
What I've seen peeps are actually considering this to be a bad thing and getting upset about the whole "ripping off" of another franchise. I don't get it really, because if souls clones become a regular thing this can only mean that there will be more cool and interesting worlds to explore combined with the satisfying combat (and hopefully difficulty level) that everyone has come to love from these types of games. It looks like it's a slower version of a souls game, slower in terms of animations on attacks and from what I've seen benefits heavy armour a fair bit. Looks like my cup of tea given I'm mostly a strength/quality build player in souls games.

So yeah I'm really looking forward to it and I'm also looking forward to more "Souls clones".

Apr 25, 2009
Looks like lots of fun on a gameplay level, something I could really dig. Art style and the main character are uninspired, bland and a little tasteless (which can be a deal breaker for me sometimes, I mean look at the trailer), but who knows? I'll keep an eye on this.

Shadow-Phoenix said:
Eh I like the style of the game but I really dislike how it tries to copy the Souls series, I'm not a fan of Souls due to their style of gameplay,mechanics and balls to the walls difficulty with super cryptic lore, for every game trying to be Souls is a game I just can't buy which means I've less choice.
Cos, you know, stuff people's personal preference or designing with a focus. Every game must be for EVERYONE.

Seishisha

By the power of greyskull.
Aug 22, 2011
I read a preview of this game on another website earlier today and the author pretty much said that the game had some immdeiate resemblace to souls but when playing felt very different, particualry the pacing of combat and the difficulty of enemies. Though they admited that was only the opening section of the game and it could be very different futher in.

As a side note, this one has been on my radar for a while now, i like the idea of a souls esqe game not made by from software, largly because im curious to see how somone else approaches this playsytle and what they add or change to make it distinct.