Lost Dimension Review - More Like Lost in the Plot

MyLifeIsAnRPG

Jan 20, 2011
Lost Dimension Review - More Like Lost in the Plot

A mysterious tower suddenly appears in one of the world?s most populated cities. A silver haired man in flamboyant clothing threatens to nuke the world. This is Atlus' latest strategy-RPG.

Read Full Article

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
So, it is basically Virtues Last Reward but with fights instead of puzzles.

MyLifeIsAnRPG

Jan 20, 2011
And a plot that comes more out of left field... if you can believe it. But yes think Virtues Last Reward combined with Valkyria Chronicles.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
MyLifeIsAnRPG said:
And a plot that comes more out of left field... if you can believe it. But yes think Virtues Last Reward combined with Valkyria Chronicles.
don't really care about Virtue but Valkyria Chronicles like gameplay... I'm sold!

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I guess i'll buy it for the combat and try to convince myself that the plot is far too deep and meaningful for me to properly understand!

Joshroom

Oct 27, 2009
Yeesh, the gameplay sounds awesome - right up my alley, I'm a big Disgaea + Persona fan. Buuttt, the strengths of those games kinda came from the story as well; the fun and fresh irrelevance of the former and the strong characters of the latter. Hmmm, tough one. Good review though, gave me something to think about.

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
The latest Atlus RPG? Atlus is only the publisher in the US, they had nothing to do with its development.

w23eer

Mar 13, 2014
I don't know if you have a special way with words or what, but I really want to play this after reading the review. It sounds right up my alley; the traitor mechanic is especially appealing.
Regardless, it sounds like the developers had a lot of good ideas but didn't know what to do with them so they just smashed it all together, with mixed success. I can't wait to try it out myself though.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
This game just popped into my radar last week and I was super excited. Unfortunately your review seems to echo many others; unique ideas with just a few too many hiccups to make it great.

The cool stuff sounds cool enough though that I will certainly keep an eye out for a sale...

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I actually pre-ordered this game two weeks before its release because I was sure that there was going to be a few copies at launch (in fact, my pre-ordered copy was the only one at the store!).

I've had if for a day now and I'm enjoying it so far.

I'll agree that it feels a lot like a combination of Virtues Last Resort and Valkyria Chronicles, but this is honestly the first game in a while where I got a pen and paper and wrote down social queues and quotes in order to keep track of who could be the traitor.

I'm hoping that my diligence pays off and if it turns out to be a short- to mid-length game, I'll have the free DLC to play around with.

Sep 9, 2007
CrimsonBlaze said:
... This is honestly the first game in a while where I got a pen and paper and wrote down social queues and quotes in order to keep track of who could be the traitor.
Same here, even though the game keeps track of it past the second chapter. It certainly makes finding the suspects easier at least.

OT: I've put a few hours into this now and I'm enjoying what I've played so far. One traitor down and I've pegged the next one. Just need to swing the votes the way I want them.

I haven't seen enough of the plot to pass comment on it yet, but the combat mechanics are solid. One of the things that makes it for me is the defer mechanic. Basically, if a unit ends up being close enough to another of your units that has already acted that turn, you can forfeit the rest of the current action to give the second unit an extra action. Its good for shielding heavily injured team mates while keeping up the fire, or giving slower characters extra range, etc.