Lost interest in all hobbies and entertainment.

ConnorPotter

Oct 23, 2017
In the past year, i've pretty much given up on everything except sitting around reading the internet.
It's not that I can't do anything with my free time... I just don't feel like it. My body and mind don't seem to have the will to do any more than exist.
Have a bike, hiking boots, and golf clubs and used to do scores of rides, hikes, and rounds in the summer, but did maybe one ride, a couple of hikes and nine holes this year.
Got plenty of computer games and used to play them all the time, but haven't started any up in months.
Last year I went on a couple of big vacations and was psyched about going on a couple more this year, but instead, I just spent vacation sleeping in and sitting around for a couple of weeks.
Dear ATOT, what should I do to kickstart my life? Thanks.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
This situation may be or can easily lead to a depressive state. Talking to friends about it or a professional about it seems like a good start.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
ConnorPotter said:
In the past year, i've pretty much given up on everything except sitting around reading the internet.
It's not that I can't do anything with my free time... I just don't feel like it. My body and mind don't seem to have the will to do any more than exist.
Have a bike, hiking boots, and golf clubs and used to do scores of rides, hikes, and rounds in the summer, but did maybe one ride, a couple of hikes and nine holes this year.
Got plenty of computer games and used to play them all the time, but haven't started any up in months.
Last year I went on a couple of big vacations and was psyched about going on a couple more this year, but instead, I just spent vacation sleeping in and sitting around for a couple of weeks.
How are you feeling in yourself?

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
It sounds a bit like depression, how are you feeling generally?

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Honestly, I can relate. I'm going through something similar recently. over the last few months I've just gradually stopped enjoying anything. I take medication for depression, and have a pretty good network of family and friends, but it's not so much negative emotion as it is just... emptiness.

If you lack a support structure, finding a support group or even consulting a therapist helps a lot, I find, if you can afford it. a sympathetic ear goes a long way.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Honestly, all I can say is keep trying things until something clicks. I work much the same. I have no interest in anything...then suddenly I obsessively get into a game, most recently was Baldur's Gate EE, but after beating the game and then playing it again halfway, I sort of petered out. Got back into Skyrim for a bit, then lost interest.

Try finding a good show if you have something like Netflix. Went on a Star Trek binge once when I had no interest in playing anything. Got through 4 seasons of TNG before I stopped.

These are just short term solutions though.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Silentpony said:
gigastar said:
Silentpony said:
ConnorPotter said:
why does this feel like another bot?
Bots usually spam links, and i aint seeing any here.
Yeah but single post new account with a post that's not even for this website? That stinks of bots to me.
Yeah remember that guy who kept turning up in Off Topic asking for actual medical advice? I hardly consider this OP to be particularly unusual compared to him.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Silentpony said:
gigastar said:
Silentpony said:
ConnorPotter said:
Yeah but single post new account with a post that's not even for this website? That stinks of bots to me.
I'm thinking along the same lines..
There is also another poster which just seem to post a wiki excerpt related to the topic which could be a bot as well.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
gigastar said:
Silentpony said:
gigastar said:
Silentpony said:
ConnorPotter said:
Yeah remember that guy who kept turning up in Off Topic asking for actual medical advice? I hardly consider this OP to be particularly unusual compared to him.
Its not that OP is unusual, its just so...soul-less. Doesn't mention the Escapist, doesn't mention being a lurker wanting to finally post, and the lack of details or interaction. "I used to do things, but not anymore"
and the whole 'Dear another website' that copy copied to the bottom instead of the top.

Feels like a poorly programmed bot that was supposed to have I dunno, some link to some Christian 'find God and your role in life' message

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
ConnorPotter said:
You've got depression

See a doctor

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
Bot or not, I can relate. I've been in this same state for a long time now. Used to love watching movies, these days it's rare for me to actually sit and enjoy one. I have to force myself to watch a movie I know I'll like. Games, books, TV shows, which take a lot longer than 2 hours to finish? Yeah forget about that. I'll usually watch 2 episodes of a tv show, like that new show on Netflix, Mindhunter, then I'll go to bed and the next day I don't feel like it anymore. I just spend my free time reading stuff on the internet.

We're on the same boat, bot.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Yeah, as somebody who's suffered through depression, that sounds like it.

Typically, I find it helpful to make lists. One or two things to do each day. Start real small, like, 5 minutes. Spend 5 minutes reading up on something, exercising, hell even something like just getting out of the house. Eventually over time, 5 becomes 10, 10 becomes 15 and so on.

I won't say I'm completely over it. I still have bouts, and it's shit, but, you can do a lot worse than building good habits in the mean time.

Mar 26, 2008
Take heart in this, it is most likely a phase. I've been through the exact same thing, where I lost interest in all my hobbies and found myself just sitting around watching movies. Then I'd beat myself up over not spending time on my hobbies, which would lead me to feel even worse. However after a while the desire to engage in my hobbies came back just as strong before and I went back to them. I think the trying to force myself to do them when I'd clearly lost the desire at the time didn't help either.

Also, as other people have said, it could be a depressive state. Whatever you do, don't panic about it. Just be aware of it within yourself.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
Do shit because something will come of the experience even if you don't feel like it, you'll probably never feel JUST in the mood for it so fuck it, get it while you can.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
I'm kind of dealing with the same thing. I feel I have too many distractions. There is just too many entertainment options for me to give them all their allotted time to properly enjoy them. Internet is an easy go to, because there is always something different. You can use for as long as you want to. Compared to watching a movie or play a videogame. Also, you have to factor in the time you have to spend going to work, taking care of errands and chores, being with family and friends, etc. You know. Life.

I won't rule out depression. However, don't beat yourself up on spending every last minute on entertainment.

DarthCoercis

May 28, 2016
Sadly, that happens as one grows older, my friend. In my youth I loved collecting Transformers, painting miniatures, playing video games and building magic the gathering decks. The further I got from my 20s, the less I found myself interested in any of the dedicated hobbies I'd invested so much time and effort in to.

The best advice I can offer is to search for things that interest you now. That may be art, antiquities, historical knowledge, pop culture, writing or even stock market investments. You need to see and accept what interests you as a growing adult, instead of trying to cling to what interested you in your younger years.