Lost Planet 3 Review

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Lost Planet 3 Review

You may want to bring some thermal underwear for this one.

Read Full Article

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Meh. Sounds better than the staggeringly awful LP2, but not as good as the original. Probably something I'll pick up on sale then trade in once I'm done with it.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
This is the first I've ever heard of a third Lost Planet. Doesn't sound like they put out much advertising for this one.

But yeah, I kinda remember the first game being pretty fun. I don't remember much about it other than running around in the snow fighting those bug things and it eventually ending with a mech battle in the sky.

Also, for whatever reason, the limited edition case was always cold. Makes sense considering the game's setting. :p

nexus

May 30, 2012
I really like this type of setting, and it looks like they pulled it off a bit. In my opinion, Dead Space has the best atmosphere and design this generation. That ol "space colonist" theme really works. It worked for Aliens, it works for Dead Space. It seems it even works for Lost Planet 3, but they had to turn it into a monotonous, rather drab 3rd person shooter.. ?

They would have done well to tone it down a bit (read: a lot), with scarcer enemies, more brutal combat with a focus on survival. Can't really buy the whole "space janitor kills everything" theme here. It worked for Dead Space, they really nailed it in my opinion. With each subsequent Dead Space (2 & 3) making the combat more frequent and cumbersome.

From what I've seen of LP3, the combat looks like a grind, and the whole "space colony under siege" trope gets thrown right out the airlock. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like if you're going for that theme, you need to back it up with tense, horrifying gameplay.. ala "The Thing", or Aliens.. you know?

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
I was kinda expecting this, unfortunately. LP3 just already LOOKED like a DS3 rippoff. LP1 was fun, from there it just went down.

Seemy like Dead Space 3 will do the trick for now.

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
So, I have been playing some of this game on PC now.

I have to say, it's not a bad game,and certainly above average. I'm having fun playing it so far (granted, not that far in, but still).
The weapons sound nice, even if their impact leaves something to be desired. The mining rig is slow, but it gives the game a very special kind of feel, and it makes it stand out in a rather strange way for the third person shooter genre. The game is also putting some work into the overall atmosphere of the game, which I find intriguing (I also liked Metro's and Fallout 3's atmosphere a lot, and here you get the same kind of feel of everything being broken, and barely working, soviet style).
The giant monster bossfights (so far I've made it past the first 4 or so, depending on how you count) are really great. The scene is always nicely set, the loot drops are crazy sensible[footnote]T-Energy, which acts as currency[/footnote], and the weak spots are always known. You have to take some care aiming and moving around though, because if you don't stay mobile, those monsters are going to grind you into fine Jim powder.
I feel that the base is actually a sensible size, given how many people live there. It's just my opinion, though. I have to say, I do find it rather strange that there need to be that many loading screens in the PC version. One guesses they could just "fuse" some of the levels together, then realign the coordinates properly (takes a few hours per level, including all the playtesting you have to do to verify that it works).

I only have one complaint, and this is a big one: The controls can not be remapped properly. The in-game editor is shit, and refuses to let you map 2 or more actions to the same button, neglecting how many damn actions are already mapped to a single button anyway by default. So even if I just want to reassign the "action" key from E to F, and change a few of the controls around so they're nearer to WASD, I have to change the config file. I WOULD, if it worked. Changing the DefaultInput.ini in any way makes the game throw an APPCRASH error when I try to start it, requiring me to reinstall it, which is a pain in the ass.

Though, again, the game isn't bad. In fact, I like it a lot. I like the combat, I like the boss fights, I like the level design philosophy of "make it Open World, but not too much, so we keep a tight focus", I love the mining rig, and I find the story to actually matter a lot more to me than some generic "saving the world" type of story (which is because the game, at least in the part in which I am at the moment) keeps a the story focus around the research outpost on EDN III, and doesn't concern itself with saving the world kind of bullshit.

[footnote]EDIT: Typos typos typos. I really need to go to sleep now.[/footnote]

TheBelgianGuy

Aug 29, 2010
Matthi205 said:
So, I have been playing some of this game on PC now.

I have to say, it's not a bad game,and certainly above average. I'm having fun playing it so far (granted, not that far in, but still).
The weapons sound nice, even if their impact leaves something to be desired. The mining rig is slow, but it gives the game a very special kind of feel, and it makes it stand out in a rather strange way for the third person shooter genre. The game is also putting some work into the overall atmosphere of the game, which I find intriguing (I also liked Metro's and Fallout 3's atmosphere a lot, and here you get the same kind of feel of everything being broken, and barely working, soviet style).
The giant monster bossfights (so far I've made it past the first 4 or so, depending on how you count) are really great. The scene is always nicely set, the loot drops are crazy sensible[footnote]T-Energy, which acts as currency[/footnote], and the weak spots are always known. You have to take some care aiming and moving around though, because if you don't stay mobile, those monsters are going to grind you into fine Jim powder.
I feel that the base is actually a sensible size, given how many people live there. It's just my opinion, though. I have to say, I do find it rather strange that there need to be that many loading screens in the PC version. One guesses they could just "fuse" some of the levels together, then realign the coordinates properly (takes a few hours per level, including all the playtesting you have to do to verify that it works).

I only have one complaint, and this is a big one: The controls can not be remapped properly. The in-game editor is shit, and refuses to let you map 2 or more actions to the same button, neglecting how many damn actions are already mapped to a single button anyway by default. So even if I just want to reassign the "action" key from E to F, and change a few of the controls around so they're nearer to WASD, I have to change the config file. I WOULD, if it worked. Changing the DefaultInput.ini in any way makes the game throw an APPCRASH error when I try to start it, requiring me to reinstall it, which is a pain in the ass.

Though, again, the game isn't bad. In fact, I like it a lot. I like the combat, I like the boss fights, I like the level design philosophy of "make it Open World, but not too much, so we keep a tight focus", I love the mining rig, and I find the story to actually matter a lot more to me than some generic "saving the world" type of story (which is because the game, at least in the part in which I am at the moment) keeps a the story focus around the research outpost on EDN III, and doesn't concern itself with saving the world kind of bullshit.

[footnote]EDIT: Typos typos typos. I really need to go to sleep now.[/footnote]
I have to second this and add, I really liked the small touches in the story-telling - your wife's video messages, picture in your rig cockpit,...