LOTRO or WOAOR???

Drpineapple

Mar 26, 2009
I recently made a topic asking for ideas for a new mmo top try and everyone was saying LOTRO (lord of the rings online) but I would have thought it would have been WOAOR (Warhammer online age of reckoning)

Keeping in mind that me and a few m8?s will be starting at the same time and playing together, that money is not an issue and that we all have PC?s good enough for either what do you think?

Warhammer or Lord of the rings ?

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Depends on what you want.

PvE: LotRO.
PvP: WAR (never thought anyone would even use WOAOR...).

Both exceed in their own realm, but the other one is weaker. Don't expect much PvP in LotRO or PvE in WAR.

Bluntknife

Sep 8, 2008
Abedeus said:
Depends on what you want.

PvE: LotRO.
PvP: WAR (never thought anyone would even use WOAOR...).

Both exceed in their own realm, but the other one is weaker. Don't expect much PvP in LotRO or PvE in WAR.
I second that.
PvE sucks in WaR but they still make you do it, they set it up to exceed in PvP you need to PvE and its painful (usualy) no where close to as good as WoW's pve, but I hope it'll get there some day. Then I might start playing again.

Marv21

Jan 1, 2009
I've always wanted to give both a try, but I would have a bias because I am a big Lotr fan, not so much warhammer.

Aqualung

Mar 11, 2009
LOTRO, I'm re-downloading it right now. :] It has great roleplay servers, and since it's Lord of the Rings, everyone knows the story and the atmosphere. It's just fun.

NYJetPhan

Mar 27, 2009
Wow, I can admit I have never played WAR, but Lotro has a hold on me. WoW got about 3 hours of my attention before I quit my trial. The story line is so compelling, I've watched the trilogy dozens of times just to compare where I'm at to where I'm headed. So far the game has just reached Lorien. But, by following such a set tale, there will be an endgame, WOW and others may go on forever, just creating more content, unfortunately Lotro will come to an end. I despise and lament Turbine for milking this fact, but so far, after just about 1/3 through the story, Im loving every minute. Yes, content does get a little boring as we wait for next stop, but who can resist tossing the RING in mount doom sometime down the road?? That alone keeps me going!!

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
I think I liked LOTRO more in a very general way, and it has the honor of snaring more of my time than any other fantasy MMO (about two months). WAR is excellent in a LOT of ways, but the PVP quickly reminds you that your character is nothing but a foot soldier in the war. I've never felt so useless as playing a Knight of the golden sun and assisting in a keep assault. All I could do was rush up the stairs hoping to find a break in the line to get to the squishies from behind - my success or failure was utterly dictated by things well outside my control.

Of course, there are those magical moments where the game makes up for it's trangressions entirely. I was once partaking in a keep defense (the only keep that remained in the hands of order in the world at the moment), and though the defenders possessed less than 1/3 the numbers of the hordes of destruction, through careful coordination of myself and one other night, a handful of healers and a single intrepid bright wizard (and some magical noob working the pot of hot oil), we managed to hold the outer door of the keep until the timer expired without incurring a single loss. By the time the door was breached a second time, Order decided to do something useful for a change and our meager force was relieved by a massive army that quickly annihilated the attackers and proceeded to grab the remaining keeps in Tier 2 RVR zones.