Lou Reed Getting Death Threats Over Metallica Album

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
sorry, know this is a few days old now.

<spoiler=Article+Source>
Lou Reed has received a barrage of "threatening" letters from Metallica fans angry over his collaboration with the rockers.

The veteran musician teamed up with the group to record new album Lulu, but Reed admits many of the band's devotees are unhappy about the record and have sent him reams of unpleasant messages.

He tells USA Today, "(They) are threatening to shoot me, and that's only because I showed up. They haven't even heard the record yet, and they're recommending various forms of torture and death."

However, the Perfect Day singer is not letting the threats upset him, adding, "I don't have any fans left. After (1975 album) Metal Machine Music, they all fled. Who cares? I'm essentially in this for the fun of it."

Metallica star Lars Ulrich has also shrugged off the negative response from fans, insisting they are used to criticism over the band's choices: "In 1984, when hard-core Metallica fans heard acoustic guitars on Fade to Black, there was a nuclear meltdown in the heavy-metal community. There have been many more since then.

"This (album) is something they've never heard. Nobody hears rhythms or delivers poetry the way Lou does. It's not for everyone, but I think it's a fantastic record."

© WENN
<url=http://www.nationalledger.com/pop-culture-news/reed-receives-death-threats--215051.shtml>source

Im not raelly sure why I thought this was thread worthy. I cant say it surprises me (or anyone really whos remotely interested in Music). I guess I just think its kinda funny in a way (though again, im not really sure what way).

So, what do all yinz think? I know the new album has been... detested... to say the least. but Im not a big Metallic fan in the first place, so a difference of opinions I suppose.

hiks89

Oct 22, 2008
i dont know why all the metallica fans are pissed off, metallica is allready dead they cannot get any worse...and i am a fan

TxMxRonin

Jan 1, 2009
It's quite pathetic. They're probably the same people that jumped ship when the black album dropped. They don't understand development or evolution and it's a shame for the rest of us that they exist.

gothicboris

Jan 15, 2010
To be honest I'm pretty sure these people find something to complain about every time Metallica release an album. There's always gonna be some tracks you love and others you don't care for. Music and musicians evolve so these people need to stop living in the past.

Gmans uncle

Oct 17, 2011
This is all I have to say

And I thought people where above this kind of pre-judging by now, silly me.

Nazgual

Apr 16, 2011
I'm not really surprised. The album is hilariously bad and insecure morons always resort to death threats when someone interferes with their favourite music/TV show/movie/celebrity etc.

I AM THE TABLE

internetzealot1

Aug 11, 2009
Pffft...Are death threats really that big a deal anymore? It seems like they should be an everyday occurrence for any C-list or above celebrity.

Anyway, I've only heard one song from the album, and its terrible. I guess I'd be pissed if I were one of those hardcore fans who thought things were looking up after Death Magnetic.

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
I've heard the whole thing. I really despise it. The poetry and lyrics are fine, Lou Reed is just a terrible singer. His style may have fit Velvet Underground and his solo records, but not with Metallica. If James Hetfield was the lead singer on this album, I would probably want to buy it.

...for shame

OT: This isn't a subject worth sending a death threat over. No one deserves to get one just because they make a terrible album.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Good to see the gaming community isn't the only place idiocy is rampant.

Though personally, I haven't listened to Metallica in a long time.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
Gmans uncle said:
And I thought people where above this kind of pre-judging by now, silly me.

That preview has been out for over a month and I would say it's worth criticizing the hell out of.

That doesn't make death threats right though.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
I haven't listened to it yet. That said this scares me. Metallica is easily one of the greatest bands of all time. That they could create something that isn't even a passable listen doesn't make sense to me.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Meh, I liked Lou better when he at least tried to sing. It has been a long time since Metal Machine Music.

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
hiks89 said:
i dont know why all the Metallica fans are pissed off, Metallica is already dead they cannot get any worse...and i am a fan
Yeah same. Most of the Metallica I listen to is either from ...And Justice for All, Ride the Lightning,and Master of Puppets.

Many would agree as Metallica aged the new albums can't compete with the classics. Death threats are a bit extreme however.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
hiks89 said:
i dont know why all the metallica fans are pissed off, metallica is allready dead they cannot get any worse...and i am a fan
You're a fan, but you hate them? That makes perfect sense.

I'm not a big Metallica or Lou Reed fan, but I wouldn't exactly wish death on either them...

hiks89

Oct 22, 2008
Ando85 said:
hiks89 said:
i dont know why all the Metallica fans are pissed off, Metallica is already dead they cannot get any worse...and i am a fan
Yeah same. Most of the Metallica I listen to is either from ...And Justice for All, Ride the Lightning,and Master of Puppets.

Many would agree as Metallica aged the new albums can't compete with the classics. Death threats are a bit extreme however.
its the same as liking the original star wars trilogy. and hating 1, 2 and3...to put it in nerd speak... whoops wrong person. my bad

hiks89

Oct 22, 2008
BarbaricGoose said:
hiks89 said:
You're a fan, but you hate them? That makes perfect sense.

I'm not a big Metallica or Lou Reed fan, but I wouldn't exactly wish death on either them...
its the same as liking the original star wars trilogy. and hating 1, 2 and3...to put it in nerd speak

hiks89

Oct 22, 2008
godofallu said:
I haven't listened to it yet. That said this scares me. Metallica is easily one of the greatest bands of all time. That they could create something that isn't even a passable listen doesn't make sense to me.
Load?

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
The song(linked above) was frickin' awful. Like... really awful. Don't think it would sound much better even if I hadn't been awake all night.
When will you learn, Metallica. They haven't been great since Cliff and Mustaine were in the band though.

I always thought Lou Reed was some black jazz player.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
hiks89 said:
godofallu said:
Load?
Load is a great CD. Seriously great.

What you don't like the Outlaw torn? Hero of the day? Thorn Within?