Love: Kurt Would Have Been OK With Guitar Hero 5

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Love: Kurt Would Have Been OK With Guitar Hero 5

Kurt Cobain's widow, Courtney Love, has amended her position on her husband's appearance in Guitar Hero 5 [http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Stand-Alone-Software-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B0028ZH7GU/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1280174627&sr=1-1], saying that he would have found it 'funny'.

Courtney Love made headlines in the gaming press last year after she lashed out at Activision's use of her husband's likeness in Guitar Hero 5 and Band Hero [http://www.amazon.com/Band-featuring-Taylor-Swift-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B0028ZNWWS/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1280174669&sr=1-2], saying she was going to 'sue the shit' out of the company. Activision responded, saying that Love had signed the necessary contracts for them to use Cobain's likeness as they did and no suit was filed.

But just a few months later and Love seems to have changed her tune. In an interview with NME Magazine, Love said: "What pisses me off the most about it is I think Kurt would be fine with having five Kurt Cobains singing the (Spice Girls) song Wannabe, like, 'Tell me what you want, what you really really want.' ... I think he'd find that really funny."

She went on to say that she wanted to join the lawsuit that Gwen Stefani had started over the alleged misuse of her likeness in Band Hero: "...it's gross what they did. Gwen started the lawsuit. I have really good lawyers now and will join that lawsuit. There was this grey area and they fucked the lot of us. They didn't fuck Jack White, but they fucked Gwen, fucked Johnny Cash and fucked Kurt ... It's just gross. This is the rock 'n' roll business, this is what people do. They are sleazy; they do sleazy things."

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out, assuming that Love is allowed to join the lawsuit, as she seems to be espousing two different positions on the issue. In both cases it seems that Activision has used the artists' likeness for more than was intended, but is this just a case of 'always reads the fine print', or do the artists have a legitimate case?

Source: GamePro [http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/213790/love-lets-more-gh5-hate-loose]

JamesCG

May 3, 2008
I have no knowledge over what was signed and what wasn't, so I'm going to make a complete guess and say "Always read the fine print!"

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
They are sleazy; they do sleazy things."
Aha.
Ahahaha.
Ahahahaha.

Oh Courtney Love, the irony of that statement will haunt you for generations. Or until you melt.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
Humans always want to get the better of other humans. It's really depressing sometimes. I've already had contracts with fine print shoved in my face at 20 years old, and I just don't get why people can't be fair with each other.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
Sort of depressing. Oh well, it's called a "likeness" for a reason. If I saw some guy on the street who looked like me, could I sue him for stealing my look?

And that guy with brown hair must have a ton of money for all the games his likeness has been in.

jpakaferrari

Nov 9, 2009
Courtney Love is just a money grubber. She signs off on a lot of stuff without knowing what it is because she is always drugged up. Just recently Francis Bean (their daughter) was placed back with Kurt's mother for a time because Courtney doesn't have her life in order. It's really sad and Courtney is honestly my least favorite person in the world because she uses Nirvana as her little money train and doesn't care about fans. Sad times...

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
What is she HIGH? She must be..i mean just look at her UGH KILL HER WITH FIRE.. [HEADING=2]WITH FIRE I SAY [/HEADING]

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Did these people not understand what a guitar hero/ rock band game was? If they didn't want their various likenesses singing crap songs like the spice girls then they should have said no when approached by the companies.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
SnootyEnglishman said:
What is she HIGH? She must be..i mean just look at her UGH KILL HER WITH FIRE.. [HEADING=2]WITH FIRE I SAY [/HEADING]
*looks up what she looks like*
AAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!
My eyes....

OT: Really this lady needs to get over herself. Really I just see this as a cheap attempt for media attention.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Krakyn said:
Humans always want to get the better of other humans. It's really depressing sometimes. I've already had contracts with fine print shoved in my face at 20 years old, and I just don't get why people can't be fair with each other.
Because people tend to give too much credence to the concept that "Business is Business." Frankly any profit made at the cost of human health is unacceptable. It is a shame that there was longer than a single second where anyone didn't believe that. A travesty now that it has been the case for thousands of years (that is to say people think Business is Business).

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
SnootyEnglishman said:
[HEADING=1]Indeed, with much fire![/HEADING]

Yeah, she's a bit of a hypocrite and she's just... BLARGH, go away Love!

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
I wish I could just apologize about things that I dicked up on. Like when I tell a chick she's fat, then be like "oh I didn't mean it..."
Anytime a celebrity apologizes for something, you automatically know it's a lie.
And the part where he 'would have found it funny', he probably wouldn't have bitched about it in the first place...

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I think Kurt would've been too high to care, but anyway....

I think Courtney Love needs to reacquaint herself with that little thing we like to call "reality" (not to be confused with reality TV; the two have nothing to do with each other). Maybe if she'd read the contract (or had a lawyer do it for her) rather than focusing on the zeros on the paycheck, she might have caught this. And how can she argue against it and yet admit there's nothing wrong with it at the same time?

JRCB said:
Sort of depressing. Oh well, it's called a "likeness" for a reason. If I saw some guy on the street who looked like me, could I sue him for stealing my look?
In this case, "likeness" means a representation of you. As in, if some third-rate fried-chicken stand was using a picture of you in a "thumbs-up" pose to sell chicken without even asking or compensating you. Otherwise I'd be suing Joshua Jackson for basically being a better-looking and more-famous version of me.

[small]...hang on a bit, I need to call my lawyer.[/small]

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
Looking at that music video where all the Nirvana guys are dressed up as pregnant women and shit like that, I have to say she's probably right.

JRCB said:

And that guy with brown hair must have a ton of money for all the games his likeness has been in.
I'm sorry I have to get so much away from the topic, but you seriously need to change your avatar. Like, really seriously. I click it seven times a day at least, and I want that to stop.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
Gladion said:
Looking at that music video where all the Nirvana guys are dressed up as pregnant women and shit like that, I have to say she's probably right.

JRCB said:

I'm sorry I have to get so much away from the topic, but you seriously need to change your avatar. Like, really seriously. I click it seven times a day at least, and I want that to stop.
It's like my face: I can't change it for it is who I am. Sorry about it, though.

SwampCandle

Nov 3, 2008
It's ammusing too me that, she's indignant on Kurt's behalf, yet no one is indignant on Johnny Cash's behalf...if the family of the other dead one in Guitar Hero 5 doesn't care, she needs to realise, she shouldn't care either.

Besides, who actually uses the celebs when there's a custom rocker maker thing? I mean, given the choice, would you rather 100% Scatterbrain as yourself or Kurt?