Love

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Love lowers your defenses to be hurt, manipulated, and it makes people do stupid things in its name.

HankMan said:
Love means never having to say you're sorry
No, that is Chaotic Evil.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Eldarion said:
Marik2 said:
Eldarion said:
Sparecash said:
So, I just got out of a pretty long relationship and a bunch of people have been telling me their views on relationships and what it all means.

That got me to wondering... What is your view on love?
Get ready for page after page of our jaded community informing you that love is "nothing but chemicals telling you to have sex" or some crap.
Ah yes good ol escapist.

Full of misanthropes and pessimists, where would we be without them? :p
In a happier place? I joke...a bit :p

One of the things about love I find so interesting is that to get close to another human being the amount of trust it takes is amazing. You hear about how awful people can be to eachother in the news all the time, but even against all odds we can find another person we trust and care for enough to share part of our lives with. That even in our seemingly cruel and bleak world two flawed, fragile human beings find comfort in eachother.

I'm a romantic, can you tell?
Yes I too am a romantic.

I wish more people would see it that way.

And not HUR ITS JUST ALL CHEMICALS IN UR BRAINS NOTHING MORE HUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRR

Yes we know our emotions come from chemicals, so can you please shut the fuck up? And stop being a little *****.

TheRookie8

Nov 19, 2009
To quote Owen Wilson: "Love is the recognition of a soul's counterpoint in another."
To quote science: It's a chemical reaction which causes attraction to another.

I think it's awkwardness mixed with humor, me making an ass of myself, and then realizing that she doesn't care and will still have me anyway.

So...love is being patient, and yourself.

Sparecash

Dec 24, 2008
Furburt said:
It's an instinctive biological reaction to induce breeding with partners of acceptable genetic makeup.

But fuck me is it lovely.
Ain't love grand?

Sparecash

Dec 24, 2008
Marik2 said:
Eldarion said:
Marik2 said:
Eldarion said:
Sparecash said:
So, I just got out of a pretty long relationship and a bunch of people have been telling me their views on relationships and what it all means.

That got me to wondering... What is your view on love?
Get ready for page after page of our jaded community informing you that love is "nothing but chemicals telling you to have sex" or some crap.
Ah yes good ol escapist.

Full of misanthropes and pessimists, where would we be without them? :p
In a happier place? I joke...a bit :p

One of the things about love I find so interesting is that to get close to another human being the amount of trust it takes is amazing. You hear about how awful people can be to eachother in the news all the time, but even against all odds we can find another person we trust and care for enough to share part of our lives with. That even in our seemingly cruel and bleak world two flawed, fragile human beings find comfort in eachother.

I'm a romantic, can you tell?
Yes I too am a romantic.

I wish more people would see it that way.

And not HUR ITS JUST ALL CHEMICALS IN UR BRAINS NOTHING MORE HUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRR

Yes we know our emotions come from chemicals, so can you please shut the fuck up? And stop being a little *****.
I'm quite the romantic myself and sometimes I definitely feel like things would be much easier if people saw things from my perspective

Odd how we know how it works yet know nothing about it

VaudevillianVeteran

No Comment Necessary.
Sep 19, 2009
Extreme affection for a person/place or thing.

Though mainly, love is feeling absolute peace, ecstasy, joy, warmth, excitement, happiness, acceptance...well, a whole mess of emotions towards someone and the feeling of absolute ruin if the feelings aren't returned, but the feeling like you're about to die from happiness when it's requited.

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
crudus said:
HankMan said:
Love means never having to say you're sorry
No, that is Chaotic Evil.
Same thing.

OT: Love is finding happiness in the face of overwhelming odds.

Captcha: from elsork

So that's where Captchas come from. Huh.

Hader

Jul 7, 2010
Everyone has their own definition, their own ideas.

Which is good. But love always varies as a result.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
It's something that's difficult to experience properly and fully, but goddamn, it's awesome when you do.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
It's very difficult to distinguish between Love and Lust.

However, simplifying the equation as much as possible, what I personally have learned across 40+ years of life:

Love means that you want the subject of your affection to be happy, even if you aren't enjoying that happiness with them.

Love means that you respect the thoughts and opinions of a counterpart to the extent that you no longer feel the need 'to be right', but that, instead, you just wish the most efficient outcome; including, if necessary, the evolution of child care services to the point where this sort of a perfect example is something that people can adapt to, learn from, and come out more equipped to deal with "real life" on the opposite side.

Sadly, that sort of education has been rare lately....

briunj04

Apr 9, 2011
Oh whatdoyaknow? I actually heard a speech all about love and human interaction earlier today. Apparently, love is a chemical reaction that triggers in your brain. Then the speech started boring me and I kinda zoned out for the rest of it.

afaceforradio

Jul 29, 2009
I guess love is accepting someone's deepest flaws and annoying habits and finding good in them. It's forgiving them, and giving them a second chance, it's wanting to be around them whenever possible, it's missing them when they're not there, it's sacrificing things so that they're happy (within reason to all of the above, of course)

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Furburt said:
It's an instinctive biological reaction to induce breeding with partners of acceptable genetic makeup.

But fuck me, is it lovely.
This. Also, like most of the things that arise from your genome, it usually ends up screwing you over in a big way.

Mr. Froggy

Apr 7, 2011
This is my favorite interpretation: Love is the highest emotional reaction to having that which you value most.

All this is fine too: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/love

AnkaraTheFallen

May contain a lot of Irn Bru
Apr 11, 2011
I can't really explain the feeling myself... all I can say is, personally I feel people who say it is just a biological reaction, have never truly felt love.

This is probably the best way to describe it I have seen.

Bara_no_Hime said:
Like + Trust + Lust = Love

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Frankly im STILL trying to get my best friend's sister, I have pretty much told her how I feel, and she said no but I got the feeling she is uncertain and I havent told her brother yet but all I can do now is keep on trying until she likes me or loves me, but she is still young SO I will think she will be more mature when she is older and then I will ask again...so DANM I hate waiting years at a time *sigh* looks like I have to find a job, get good and move into an apartment with my friend and when she is old enough I will confess in person to her and then say I like his sister to her brother...