Lucario Confirmed For Super Smash Bros. 4

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Lucario Confirmed For Super Smash Bros. 4

Lucario will be returning in the Wii U and 3DS's upcoming Super Smash Bros. title.

It's been a seemingly random increment of time since the last Super Smash Bros. For Wii U and 3DS character reveal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131190-King-Dedede-Confirmed-For-Super-Smash-Bros-Wii-U-3DS] so I guess its time for game director Masahiro Sakurai to trickle down another morsel of information about the game. This time, it's the news that Lucario, the blue "Aura-Pokemon" who made his debut in Super Smash Bros Brawl., will be returning in the new game.

In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Lucario was unique in that the damage and knockback of his "Aura" attacks were affected by damage percentage, as well as stock count in relation to its opponents'. Basically, his attacks grew stronger the more he was damaged.

As per usual, a gallery of him in action was released alongside the announcement:

[gallery=2058]

I'm completely stumped about this announcement. I thought I had discovered the pattern behind Super Smash Bros. 4 (and yes, I will be calling it Super Smash Bros. 4 from now on, because Super Smash Bros. For Wii U and 3DS is a ludicrously long name) character reveals - returning characters are announced surrounding a release of a new game starring them. But Pokemon X and Y was released months ago!

I wonder if Lucario's Mega-Evolution, which was introduced in the latest games, will make an appearance, perhaps as his new Final Smash?

Are you happy to see Lucario return, or were you holding out hope that Mewtwo (whom Lucario seemingly replaced in the transition from Melee to Brawl) would usurp him?

Source: Nintendo [http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/lucario.html]

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Whatever. I never really was a fan of Lucario, anyway. Sure I used one in Diamond since it was "the cool thing to do", alongside a Garchomp and other common sights, but I grew out of that phase pretty quickly because I decided I wanted to be original and my tastes changed.

As for Mewtwo, I prefer him to Lucario possibly out of pure nostalgia factor, but I'm just lookin' for somethin' different. I'd have been happier to see Zoroark, which is the same sort of idea.

Scrafty/Scraggy would be fun to see in Smash Bros. Biped, as nearly all characters are, reasonably popular and less angst. Also, not Pikachu, which is always advantageous. But of course, I understand that they'd probably want to make use of a Pokemon with a Mega Evolution.

Pinsir and Heracross would be fun to see, seeing as they both mega evolve, and one could be similar to Diddy Kong and Yoshi's final smashes and the other could be similar but with powerful ranged attacks and without the ability to fly. That would be insane.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
The mega-evo could be the power attack, or the taunt. I'm just happy it's coming to 3ds since it means I won't have to buy a WiiU.

Headsprouter said:
I understand that they'd probably want to make use of a Pokemon with a Mega Evolution.
blaziken has a mega, and would be fun to play, but probably too close to captain falcon with fire punches...

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
newwiseman said:
blaziken has a mega, and would be fun to play, but probably too close to captain falcon with fire punches...
With Lucario in the game, I honestly think Blaziken's a bit of a no-go. They're very similar, if you think about it. Both fighting types that punch and kick alongside using an elemental power.

And like you say, then there's Captain Falcon. But Blaziken's more of a kicking Pokemon.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Didn't they say they wanted to trim the fat from the roster? I guess they didn't.
As for what to call "Smash Bros. 4" I call it Smash Bros. Rumble, because fights of increasing size are a melee, brawl, and rumble. After that would be Smash Bros. War.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Yay, my favorite fighter's back!
I was prepared for him not to be in this one with the whole "trim the fat" thing. I even decided to main Wii Fit Trainer this game but it looks like I'll still be playing lucario after all. Hope this game comes out soon, I want to play it even more now.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I'm guessing Lucario is still relevent (unlike Ike) is due to its mega form in X and Y, speaking of which I wonder if they will incoperate it mega form into the game (replace it smash move with that instead)?

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
I would have preferred to see Mewtwo back but I don't really use either character anyway so I can live with Lucario. Hopefully they integrate some nice Gen V and VI pokemon into the stages and pokeballs though!

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Personally, I'm just hoping that they stick as many legendaries as possible into the pokeballs. Having a match with a high-item spawn rate with only pokeballs is an absolute blast, and downright hilarious at times.

"Ha! I got a Metagross! Eat it!" "Well, I got Groudon, you're in for it now!" "You're all screwed, because I'm about to summon a... Goldeen. Fuck."

Though I have to say if Final Smashes are in this game (I'm actually not sure, sue me), there's no way they're passing up the chance to show off his Mega form.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I liked mewtwo better
He was my favorite in melee so....
But lucario is fun to play too.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Is lucario like... somehow significant in the pokemon world? Like is he in the anime a lot or something? I've admitedly been off the pokemon since before he existed and casually got back into it with the new one (which Ive played for maybe a few hours so maybe he shows up later)

I just remember mewtwo being cool because the whole first movie revolved around him

eltonborges

Apr 25, 2008
What I find a bit funny about the cast in SSB is the fact that they really want to focus in the big franchises. Of course they should insert Pokemons, even if the guys at Project M did better and made the available pokemons as separated characters.
Nintendo is in need of more attention for the Wii U, and that's why I hope they can bring some really interesting faces exclusively for the console version. But at the same time, they can't risk to loose with the 3DS version, which shatters my point.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
alright my main is confirmed and now I'm happy :D now if only this final smash was him turning into his Mega Evolution (sort of like Wario or Sonic's final smash)

it would be cool if they also added Blaziken and he also turned into Mega Blaziken for the final smash

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Guitarmasterx7 said:
Is lucario like... somehow significant in the pokemon world? Like is he in the anime a lot or something? I've admittedly been off the pokemon since before he existed and casually got back into it with the new one (which Ive played for maybe a few hours so maybe he shows up later)

I just remember mewtwo being cool because the whole first movie revolved around him
Lucario had a minor role in the story of Pokemon X and Y (to introduce the player to the mega evolution mechanic), aside from that, it stared in one of the many movies long ago, and of course it's introduction in Diamond and Pearl.

Mewtwo is more prolific and I would have preferred it return, or Lucario get replaced with a different Pokemon. I understand why they did it, but if they don't work mega evolution into the game somehow, it's silly to bring him back.

Even then, it still could have been Mewtwo considering Mewtwo has two mega evolutions, a place in the most recent games (although not as much as Lucario) and a starring role in the most recent movie.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
SweetShark said:
Quick question:
Why this pokemon don't have a trainer?
As I understand it these Pokemon are hyper intelligent, capable of speech, and possess a constant desire for self improvement. A trainer would only get in their way however if someone superior in wisdom comes their way they will partner with them and possibly befriend them. This is just what I understood from skimming the wiki a while back and is likely to possess errors.

CAPTCHA: cor blimey - Don't mind if I do!

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
Hell yes, lucario was my main character in brawl :D

I'm not sure why so many want mewtwo back, he was kinda sucky in melee, plus, he's had nowhere near as much focus as a character, in X/Y lucario has a minor role in the plot (and often ends up being a decent member of your team, at that point he's likely the only one you have that can mega evolve, and is effective in a large number of the gyms afterwards), whilst mewtwo is just... there in the post E4 game with no context whatsoever

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
Eclipse Dragon said:
Mewtwo is more prolific and I would have preferred it return, or Lucario get replaced with a different Pokemon. I understand why they did it, but if they don't work mega evolution into the game somehow, it's silly to bring him back.

Even then, it still could have been Mewtwo considering Mewtwo has two mega evolutions, a place in the most recent games (although not as much as Lucario) and a starring role in the most recent movie.
Mewtwo can come back as long as he plays more like Lucario (my main). I started playing Super Smash Bros with Brawl, and when my friends decided we should give Melee a try, I was stoked to see how well I did with Mewtwo (everyone told me he was basically the same). Mewtwo is incredibly slow compared to Lucario, his range is shorter, he loses the super useful counter, and he can't charge his projectile while falling. I realize people like Mewtwo for nostalgia and they think he is more important in that universe, but he was a terrible character in Melee. Like I said, he can replace Lucario as long as he gains some of his moves or is upgraded in some other manner. /rant