Lucas is Coming to Smash Bros. 4

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Lucas is Coming to Smash Bros. 4

Lucas will be coming to the latest Smash Bros. title as a DLC character in June.

So it looks like Smash Bros. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138196-Super-Smash-Bros-Wii-U-to-receive-Mewtwo-DLC-and-more] title on 3DS and Wii U. Lucas, of EarthBound fame will be joining the battle as a DLC character. Check out his intro trailer to the right.

Lucas will be launching in June, and will be available for both the Wii U and 3DS versions of the game. From the looks of things, he still appears to basically be a clone of Ness with a few tweaks. Nintendo didn't offer up any pricing details but we can assume he will be similarly priced to Mewtwo.

Speaking of which, Nintendo also announced that Mewtwo, which was previously only available as a special club Nintendo offer for those who bought both the Wii U and 3DS versions of the game, will also be available as a stand-alone purchase. The fighter will be available to purchase on either platform for $3.99, or on both for $4.99.

Those who took advantage of the special club Nintendo offer will get Mewtwo on April 15, with those wishing to purchase him seperatley having to wait until April 28.

There's also a fighter intro video for Mewtwo, which you can check out below:

Lastly, is your Nintendo character of choice not in the game yet? How about a third-party character that you think would fit best? Nintendo is taking suggestions [https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/us/] from fans on who the next fighter to be included in the game should be.

Source: Nintendo [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvbwZYV7W0Q&feature=youtu.be]

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
If this turns out to be a joke, I'll be heartbroken. His exclusion from Smash 4 was my biggest grievance with the game. He was my main in Smash 3.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Now to wonder what characters are going to top out the ballots on the voting list for possible characters

Svarr

Nov 2, 2011
Davroth said:
If this turns out to be a joke, I'll be heartbroken. His exclusion from Smash 4 was my biggest grievance with the game. He was my main in Smash 3.
Inb4 "April fools!"

oh wait, nah yer fine, Nintendo has no sense of humor x.o

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
Davroth said:
Why's everyone been calling Brawl "Smash 3" in retrospect? I've been noticing that on multiple websites.

ShermTank7272

Feb 5, 2013
Steven Bogos said:
If you do want to take advantage of the special club Nintendo offer, you only have until April 15 to register your copies of the game.
Actually, Club Nintendo registration ended yesterday (March 31). Mewtwo will be released early to those who took advantage of the offer on April 15, and will be available for purchase on April 28.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Svarr said:
Davroth said:
Inb4 "April fools!"

oh wait, nah yer fine, Nintendo has no sense of humor x.o
I don't know... Reggie did a sketch with Mega64. And they had the robot chicken people do skits for their last E3 presentation...

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I voted for Rundas from Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, since I'd like to see a non-Samus Metroid character.

I hope people noticed he said vote for a video game character, so all those people wanting Goku etc will most likely not get it, he's primarily an anime character.

To all those complaining you'd have to buy the 3DS game for $40 to get him, he'll be $3.99 on the eshop, so you can quit complaining. Like they were going to lock him off completely.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
VinLAURiA said:
Davroth said:
Why's everyone been calling Brawl "Smash 3" in retrospect? I've been noticing that on multiple websites.
Because unlike Brawl or Melee, there's no *real* way to refer Smash 4's name other than calling it Smash 4. (I would've preferred "Smash Bros: Fisticuffs" but apparently Nintendo executed their entire marketing department and replaced them with a beagle.) Calling Brawl "Smash 3" is just naturally conforming with the new pattern we're forced into.

regalphantom

Feb 10, 2011
Its cool that they are soliciting suggestions. My personal votes are for E. Gadd (could be a cool character) or for Solid Snake to make a comeback (which might make Kojima happy considering he wanted him to be in the game again and he's been having kinda a bad month).

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
It's a good thing that you can eventually buy Mewtwo without having to own both Smash Bros. I might pick him up.

Lucas is kind of odd in this game. I don't really like Ness anyways, nor do I like Earthbound/Mother. So I think I'll pass on him.

Cast my ballot for Banjo & Kazooie. It's a long shot, yes, but I love those two to death, and them being in Smash would be awesome. In honesty I'm expecting Simon Belmont, Solid Snake and Bayonetta to be the serious contenders for this though.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
It is good to see him back. Say what you will about Brawl, but at least the clone characters there were distinct instead of being Dark Pit. And I say that as a huge Kid Icraus Uprising fan. Honestly the thing that I'm hyped for most is the possibility of more DLC characters, because who knows who we'll get. Chrom, Hades, Rundas, etc. Maybe Adam, because having Samus beat him to a pulp would be amusing. And of course third parties. Still holding out for Rayman, Bayo and Snake...

Also some Killer Instinct characters, but I know that would never happen, so I have to temper my expectations. DK vs Thunder would be an awesome matchup though.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Meh. Don't care about Lucas.

As far as that poll is concerned; I submitted a vote for Bayonetta. Now that she is a Nintendo character, she should definitely get a spot. Her games are incredibly well-received, she is fun to play as in her games, she is well liked and her playstyle would be incredibly easy to translate into a Smash Bros. fighter moveset.

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
MarsAtlas said:
shonen991 said:
Gah! I'm torn between this and Tetra...
Already put my vote in for Klonoa, that makes at least 3 of us. Wouldn't be surprised if he makes the top 10 requests, considering how often he turns up in the smash threads

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I've never played Earthbound, so when I read the headline I thought it meant THIS Lucas.

<youtube=t7eIUM8QRNU>

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Oh fuck you Nintendo, this had BETTER NOT be a joke. Ness and Lucas are my favorite fighters!

That trailer looks totally legit though. Way more effort had to have gone into it than the Rayman hoax if this is fake.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
Not really a fan of Lucas, he just seems like another clone character to me as I can't even remember if he was different from Ness.

An easy choice for me, it adds another female choice to the game, if they go with a home stage there are many sources of inspiration to go on (Falling clock tower from the prologue for example) and the music is awesome. Her final smash would be one of her summons that would pummel the arena attacks to a degree of damage caused by the player filling out the megaton gage like she does for boss finishers. her charged smashes can be the wicked weaves of Madama butterfly and she already has taunts so she pretty much set. her witch time could be one of her specials, effectively a counter that instead of doing damage, slows the attacking player (maybe an AoE).

Finally for some reason Nintendo included Wonderful 101 trophies in Smash Bros yet they (or any other platinum Games characters) have appeared otherwise indicating the two companies have at least nodded to each other about using their characters.
The music!
and in case you want to go retro

And her unique stage - Clock Tower

As for the maturity in her game (the semi-nudity and naughty language) it can all be reduced to acceptable levels; they did so in Anarchy Reigns with the wicked weaves.