Lucasfilm Makes It Official: Star Wars: Expanded Universe Is Dead

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
Irridium said:
I stopped caring back when they declared KOTOR 2 non-cannon.

One of the best (hell I'd say THE best) Star Wars stories and they handwave it away. What a damn waste.
I'll argue against KotOR 2's story another time, but I'm pretty sure it never got declared non-canon.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Oh shit! Thrawn, Corran Horn, Kyle Katarn, Revan and all the other good stuff is now gone!
Oh great! Force Zombies, The Force Unleashed, Legacy era, Karen Traviss' mandalorian stuff and all other shit is now gone!

I got mixed feelings towards this.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Irridium said:
I stopped caring back when they declared KOTOR 2 non-cannon.

One of the best (hell I'd say THE best) Star Wars stories and they handwave it away. What a damn waste.
The latest eu attempts were to bring all questionable continuity back in with minimal changes. Even Black fleet crisis. Swtor considers kotor 2 cannon.

But if they do destroy the eu, I see no reason to buy any new novels or comicd. They're just more expensive fan fictions now.

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
I know what all of this is actually about but as a European all this talk about "the EU" being dead really makes me uncomfortable...

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
RealRT said:
Oh shit! Thrawn, Corran Horn, Kyle Katarn, Revan and all the other good stuff is now gone!
Oh great! Force Zombies, The Force Unleashed, Legacy era, Karen Traviss' mandalorian stuff and all other shit is now gone!

I got mixed feelings towards this.
Ah, no, actually this only destroys the post ep 6 eu. Legacy is gone, but it doesn't necessarily effect things like the Force Unleashed :/.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I have to question the wisdom of this decision. Why would they purposefully risk alienating the fan base that have kept Star Wars alive?

Ukomba said:
Legacy is gone, but it doesn't necessarily effect things like the Force Unleashed :/.
Lucas himself has said that Force Unleashed is part of the official canon.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Some of that EU stuff was stupid. But then other parts of it were really good (Kyle Katarn, Thrawn etc).

It's a bit overkill to destroy it all in one go. Instead they should take inspiration from the good parts of it.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Well, the realities split after Luke Skywalker Prime traveled back in time, you see...

Let's face it. The "prequel trilogy" did a pretty mediocre job of linking itself to the "original trilogy" anyway. If you've continued to believe in a guiding hand that bound the Star Wars universe and all its related works into a completely coherent over-arcing vision in the face of that, I applaud you for managing to hold on to a child-like sense of wonder and suspension of disbelief.

I've seen some things in the EU that were kind of neat, and I've seen some that had me rolling my eyes for their one-upsmanship and/or failure to grasp what seemed to me to be fairly essential themes of the universe. (Grey Jedi?!) Overall, the official blessing or dismissal of the current owners of the franchise seems a rather abstract point to get contentious about right now.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Good-bye Jacen, Jaina, Anakin, Zekk, Tenel Ka, Raynar, Mara Jade, Kyle, Kyp, Wraith Squadron, Rogue Squadron, Allana, Ben, Tahiri, Vestara (before Ben had a chance to end you), and so many other characters that I grew up with.

I don't care if this was the logical thing. I don't care if everyone saw it coming. I don't care if it was impossible to get the EU to work with the new movies. And I don't care that some of these character will probably be reworked into the new universe. This still makes me sad and a little upset.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I KNEW Lucasfilm was run by a damn Sith!

But, seriously?
I hope they don't screw it up.

I LOVED books like 'I, Jedi', and would hate to have them ruin the new canon with Twilight level tripe.

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
Y'know, usually I go along with the reasoning that what the officially sanctioned writers say is the official canon no matter how much the more unreasonable fans ***** and moan about it. Case in point: Episodes 1-3. Like it or not, those are canon no matter how much the fans with their rose-coloured goggles whinge about it.*

But on the other hand, this effectively means there is no Kyle Katarn... unless they keep him in the new canon.

I'll still (somewhat begrudgingly) accept that these changes will now become official canon, but I really hope they keep Kyle Katarn.

Mind you, I figure that the past Extended Universe is now an alternate reality while its former place in canon is going to be taken up by whatever the Lucasfilm guys come up with. After all, fans will still have access to the EU materials, books, games, etc that have already been made.

What I mean is: even though I accept it as canon (as I rightly should), I may or may not dislike it. I remember one person on here saying that he rejects "Moffat's silly reasoning" regarding the War Doctor, but here's the thing: whatever the creator and his writers say, goes. It's canon. Deal with it. You can still choose to hate it, that's your right, but you don't get the option of choosing whether or not it's canon. That's not how it works.

Allspice

Mar 1, 2011
I was so hoping they would keep Mara Jade. ::sigh:: Not that it actually matters, all this does IMHO is change EU to AU and I wasn't planning on acknowledging the new movies at all anyway.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
Soooooo, who cares? SW has been raped so hard it's a miracle some old fans still believe it can actually be good. Let small children have fun with their lego sets and move on please.

ZeroAE

Jun 7, 2010
Wow, that's so sad for SW fans.
I could care less about SW, but I'm a HUGE Halo fan, and it would be horrible for me if they did the same with the Halo EU.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
I like the EU novels. You've got a mix of good and bad stuff, but I'm a geek and I like Star Wars. What i'm not too keen on from this story is the bit about future works being linked to the official canon they're creating with the next trilogy. Call me crazy, but I'd rather not have my Star Wars books linked to what present-day Hollywood is capable of creating.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
008Zulu said:
I have to question the wisdom of this decision. Why would they purposefully risk alienating the fan base that have kept Star Wars alive?

Ukomba said:
Legacy is gone, but it doesn't necessarily effect things like the Force Unleashed :/.
Lucas himself has said that Force Unleashed is part of the official canon.
Lucas doesn't call the shots anymore and it was already stated that Rebel Alliance did NOT form the way it was shown to in TFU.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
well, there's going to be a backlash of epic proportions with this. The Star Wars EU is GIGANTIC and has been going on for DECADES. I can't imagine how many people are going to lose their minds over this.