Lucasfilm Makes It Official: Star Wars: Expanded Universe Is Dead

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Eppy (Bored) said:
Well, it's not like we didn't all see this coming, but still. Childhood RUINED.

It's not like the core Star Wars fanbase matters when your movie is so large that its name alone guarantees you a massive profit, but I still feel like this is gauche.
Are people still screaming Childhood Ruined? I mean really? Please tell me you are being sarcastic.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
So does that mean Starkiller can be left as a stupid over-powered product of fanfiction?

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Kliever said:
It's a mixed bag. For one, the web of the EU is incredible long and complex.Some of the stories weren't even worth reading. So we'll just have to wait and see...and pray that this new film doesn't suck
Yeah. I mean having 6 good films and 2 good cartoon series is a tough thing to do. It'd suck if Star Wars started suck now.

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
Eppy (Bored) said:
Well, it's not like we didn't all see this coming, but still. Childhood RUINED.

It's not like the core Star Wars fanbase matters when your movie is so large that its name alone guarantees you a massive profit, but I still feel like this is gauche.
Pretty much this... Now Kotor, Republic Commando and Jedi Outcast are axed as cannon I realized I like the EU better than the movies. even if most of the books were crap, the games were amazing.

Also this...

lynnfire

Oct 20, 2010
What a sad day for fiction! I believe the better choice would be to build off of the fan fiction, ie. the EU, and play with the space that was left for them. As a creative choice, this is fantastic - it challenges the creators and the watchers to invest in a rich world made richer by a gallery of pre-existing villains and heroes and "legends". Literally, the sky is the limit with what you are able to do. Hell even George named a character Skywalker. Imagine of the stories that could be made with the existing lore...

PS - This also allows midi-chlorians

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
A single tear was shed.

Not for the fans, or any of the shit literature of course. For the trees wasted by all the shitty literature.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
While they're at it, do you think disney could kill the prequel trilogy as being part of the canon, too? (I suspect that sentiment has been mentioned somewhere in the previous six pages.)

I loved the expanded universe until a combination of two things happened: the prequels came out and the new jedi order hit the stands. They all but killed my interest in the franchise; if it weren't for hasbro's excellent toys aimed at collectors I might have soured on the whole thing. I'm surprised at all the hate for the books, but honestly aside from a few favorites (timothy zahn's stuff, the han solo trilogy, and the x-wing series, particularly the Wraith Squadron arc) I could take or leave a lot of it (I don't actually count the NJO as canon it was so bad).

I just generally liked how big they made the whole universe feel, but I totally understand where Disney is coming from on this. I remember noticing how the expanded universe was a slave to all of the sudden changes to the canon from the prequels and I can't imagine trying to make a movie that had to live within that EU labyrinth.

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
With this announcement I dropped all pretense of being a Star Wars fan once and for all. Star Wars is dead to me now. I will not be wasting the money on seeing this new film; not drop a single cent on another expanded universe novel; nor blow another hard earned dollar on a Star Wars video game ever agian, I would, in fact-if I could-erase those platinum trophies off my gamerscore altogether if I now could. As soon as I have it organized, I will in fact post on craigslist my entire collection of Star Wars Expanded Universe novels, my collectibles, my rare finds, and all the rest of the random-extensive Star Wars memorabelia for cheap, quick sale.

Let me make it clear in case that was a little tl;dr for you ADHD ritilin-poppers out there.

Star. Wars. Is. Dead.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
stabnex said:
With this announcement I dropped all pretense of being a Star Wars fan once and for all. Star Wars is dead to me now. I will not be wasting the money on seeing this new film; not drop a single cent on another expanded universe novel; nor blow another hard earned dollar on a Star Wars video game ever agian, I would, in fact-if I could-erase those platinum trophies off my gamerscore altogether if I now could. As soon as I have it organized, I will in fact post on craigslist my entire collection of Star Wars Expanded Universe novels, my collectibles, my rare finds, and all the rest of the random-extensive Star Wars memorabelia for cheap, quick sale.

Let me make it clear in case that was a little tl;dr for you ADHD ritilin-poppers out there.

Star. Wars. Is. Dead.
A little dramatic aren't we? If you don't want all your Star Wars collectables and rare finds I'll happily take them off your hands, but I think you'll probably want to reconsider what you're doing there.

The idea that so many people are getting their panties in a bunch over what a couple of studio execs are telling them is "official" seems awfully silly to me. The entire idea of "canon" seems silly in fact. Both the original Star wars and the Extended universe stories are completely made up. What gives anyone the right to declare one as more "legit" than the other escapes me, especially since neither is being created by the original creator of Star Wars. If you want to believe that the EU is "canon" and episodes 7+ aren't then who's stopping you?