Lucid Dreams: Bad Experience

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Korak the Mad said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Zen Toombs said:
I've had a lucid semi-dream. I do believe the term is sleep paralysis.

I woke up, but couldn't move. [sub]This was especially terrifying for me, as that's something of a primal fear of mine.[/sub] While that was scary enough for me, I then felt like something was watching me.

At which point I started levitating.

And slowly rotating.

And being slowly pulled off my bed...

At which point I bolted up, screaming.

*Note: I don't think I was actually assaulted by a demon or the like. Hallucinations, especially ones with an "evil presence" are supposedly semi-common with sleep paralysis. The more you know!
Yep, feelings of dread and being watched are two fairly common sleep paralysis symptoms.

OT: I've never had the experience of lucid dreaming, or sleep paralysis even. But I have suffered from Exploding Head Syndrome [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome] in the past, which were weird experiences.

Also, if you're looking for good lucid dreaming stories, head on over to Reddit and go to r/nosleep on there. Scary shit.
I experienced exploding head syndrome a few times. When it happens to me it's weird, because just before it happens, I swear I hear music playing, but it's not. Mainly because I know what it is I hear, but none of the song made sense.
Yeah, when it happened to me I'd hear just a quick snippet of an extremely loud brass instrument followed by a blast of buzzing. It was really weird until I learned what it was.

Also I've had a lucid dream once, and it was one of the most horrible dreams I have ever experienced. I normally have dreams that I would think that most people would consider it as a nightmare, but those are my normal dreams.

What experienced was what I would call a "lucid nightmare", it is when you realize that you are dreaming, but as soon as you try anything, your entire dream changes into a nightmare. You may be aware that you are dreaming, but you can't do anything. Also you feel as though you are trapped in your dream, because while you may only be asleep for a few hours, in you dream years will pass.

I felt as though I was in that dream for at least three years, and I remember almost everything that had happened. The most vivid memory of that dream is when I was yelling at myself to wake up, while running from some sort of creature. That memory was when I first started dreaming.
Well, that sort of thing is also fairly common, lucid nightmares I mean. It just depends on your mental state prior to going to sleep. So having sleep paralysis followed by a lucid dream can be really awful since you were so scared before your mind actually went to sleep. Also, in case that ever happens to you again, try not to look in mirrors. Trust me.

Casanovamarie

Feb 25, 2013
So the only reason I'm on here is because I had what I think was a dream happen to me 2 nights ago. I mean I remember from a few years ago, having really scary lucid dreams but knowing I'm in a dream. This time, I don't know if it was a dream or reality which is what scares me. Basically, what happened was I felt a really strong pressure on my back like something was standing on me and I woke up because of it, but when I tried to turn around to see what it was, I couldn't see anything and it held me down. Because I believe strongly in the supernatural, in my dream or reality, whatever it was, I found it to be a fallen angel or demon. It took control of me and raped me. I remember freaking out crying and attempting to scream out "in the name of Jesus Christ cast all evil away" but it was strangling me. Finally I belted it out and it stopped. And I don't know, I'm assuming it was a dream because I've had dreams similar before, but like I said, I clearly knew it was a dream but I just couldn't wake myself up. I don't know what to think but for 2 days now I've been terrified. It keeps popping in m head and I just want some opinions. Has anyone else experienced a dream that you were unsure was a dream??

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
I'd find it very difficult to have a bad lucid dream since lucidity involves absolute control

God'sFist

May 8, 2012
I had this really disturbing lucid dream where I was snuggling up with my dog when the thought what would he feel if I stabbed him a knife materializes in my hand and I start stabbing him, I absolutely love my dog by the way and I couldn't stop myself until a saw appeared in my hand I sawed off one of his legs no blood in the dream and he felt no pain. I awoke completely terrified of what I did and hugged him close (he sleeps in my bed) worst dream ever.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
When I was in my early teens I started having a recurring nightmare of the guy from Scream popping into random dreams, chasing me down and stabbing me (I saw it when I was really young and it scared the dung out of me back then. Still hate horror.)

Anyway... this happened every few nights; I would be dreaming and out of nowhere I'd get this feeling of dread, the scream guy would chase me down and attack me until I'd wake up. After about a month or two I began to realise that when he popped up I was dreaming, and at first that realisation was enough to break the dream (Although unfortunately without the Inception BWONG noise.)
Then I realised that when I lucid dream my in dream senses stop functioning (vision goes cloudy, can't run or move anywhere, don't really feel, hear or smell anything from the dream anymore) and I discovered that the best defence against him (or anything threatening) in my dream was to simply curl up in a ball, since I couldn't be hurt while lucid dreaming they'd reach me, but not actually be able to do any harm. The dream would grind to a halt, and I wouldn't even have to wake up!

After that I did lucid dream freely in regular dreams for a while, but it was fairly limited and didn't really last long because I'd usually do something that would break my sub-conciousness and kill the flow of the dream.
I don't lucid dream anymore, but I also haven't had a nightmare in years. So... yeah, that's my story.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
Hey Op, I haven't read through to see if anyone else has brought it up, but have you really tried to think about what may be behind this violent occurrence in your dream? Like, any unresolved issues or resentment you might harbor towards this friend that maybe you don't like to think of?

If that were the case, maybe sorting that out would turn a negative experience in a dream into a positive outcome. I don't believe that every dream or every thing in a dream has meaning, but sometimes they do.

As for me, I rarely dream anymore. I grew up having a lot of nightmares, later on realizing that most stemmed from issues I had with my parents going through a volatile time in their relationship while I was growing up.

I did have one dream years ago that has stayed with me and is still pretty vivid in my memory, although it wasn't lucid. My ex girlfriend (dated for five years, almost married) was standing outside the door to my room waving to me, I was standing in the kitchen. A second or two later their was an explosion in my room, and I was worried about her but she looked fine, she was still waving! A second later half of her (the half closest to the room) disintegrated into dust. God that dream messed me up.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
AgentNein said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Hey Op, I haven't read through to see if anyone else has brought it up, but have you really tried to think about what may be behind this violent occurrence in your dream? Like, any unresolved issues or resentment you might harbor towards this friend that maybe you don't like to think of?

If that were the case, maybe sorting that out would turn a negative experience in a dream into a positive outcome. I don't believe that every dream or every thing in a dream has meaning, but sometimes they do.

As for me, I rarely dream anymore. I grew up having a lot of nightmares, later on realizing that most stemmed from issues I had with my parents going through a volatile time in their relationship while I was growing up.

I did have one dream years ago that has stayed with me and is still pretty vivid in my memory, although it wasn't lucid. My ex girlfriend (dated for five years, almost married) was standing outside the door to my room waving to me, I was standing in the kitchen. A second or two later their was an explosion in my room, and I was worried about her but she looked fine, she was still waving! A second later half of her (the half closest to the room) disintegrated into dust. God that dream messed me up.
This was over a year ago for me, but I did talk to her about it. She just laughed it off, no harm done.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Soviet Heavy said:
For the record, a lucid dream is casually considered to be one in which you're in control of all of your actions, but textbook definitions require that you merely be aware that you're dreaming.

I think you had what I normally have, and that's ultra-vivid nightmares. There have been times where I was able to simply decide I wanted to fly away from danger so I did. Other times I dreamed I was back in the Army, which was a nightmare. It wasn't the prospect of combat, no, it was the thought of another 4-year commitment doing stupid things like raking rocks and being surrounded by people who can only scream-speak.

Other times I would wake up in a dream only to realize I was on a couch, floating on the ocean, being circled by great white sharks. As a child I would dream about T-rex's which would rip the roof off the house. I often had to hide between the mattress and the box spring. Don't let it get to you, man. I found that staying up until I was exhausted usually led to nightmares. You have to get some decent sleep. I use Melatonin now to force myself to sleep at a decent hour. Regular sleep hours, quality sleep hours are a must.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Soviet Heavy said:
AgentNein said:
Soviet Heavy said:
snip
This was over a year ago for me, but I did talk to her about it. She just laughed it off, no harm done.
There's only one theory about dreaming that even holds any water with me, and that's:

Everyone in your dream is really just a part of you.

dun Dun DUN

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Redlin5 said:
I wish I could lucid dream on command...
I find it helps to drift off thinking about something I want to dream about, like having supernatural abilities or flying or whatever, basically daydreaming before dreaming in my sleep. Try it later :3