Lucy Goosey

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Feel free to prune out bits you don't wish to continue. This has become overgrown. Fascinating conversation though.

Ingjald said:
I guess I'm technically an Agnostic Atheist then.
There's definitely at least some agnosticism in there as long as you're not claiming that God absolutely doesn't exist.

But why would I need to "specifically not believe" in any god? I grew up in a protestant country, do I need to have a separate label for not believing in the protestant version of the christian god, as opposed to all the others I don't believe in?
What does any of this have to do with the protestant version of the Christian God? My entire discussion with you has been about an a-religious creator or creators of the Universe who may or may not have any impact in the universe today. I certainly never specified a specific deity or quality about said creator aside from that they created it through whatever means. So I'm not sure where this comment came from. You just have to not believe in a creator or local spirit deities or what have you.

Regarding the Agnosticism and Agnostic Atheism thing, I'd say that one is simply "I dont know", while the other is "I don't believe X, and live my life as though X is false, but I don't know for sure."
You just defined Agnosticism twice. I'd personally call agnosticism and agnostic atheism synonyms. They're both ultimately living as though there is no God and being unsure whether that's correct or not. The difference between Atheism and agnosticism is the belief that God does not exist on the Atheist side. I also find it a bit of an affront to agnosticism which is a perfectly valid stance to say, "I don't know but I'm going to make a choice and be on this side" whereas agnosticism itself even if functionally atheistic in lifestyle is purely not purposefully living either way.

Even though Agnostic Atheism is used commonly to describe someone in your position, I do not believe it is a necessary distinction. It may exist purely because the existence of Agnostic theism needed a counter point (since it's someone who is unsure but lives as if there is a God, whatever that means) despite agnosticism already meaning that you live as if there's not a God because you neither confirm nor deny His existence.

If you prefer, I'll quote Hitchens instead: "All it (atheism) means is that you don't believe in God".
And yet he called himself an antitheist because he didn't think atheism was a strong enough term for him. But damn, that was a brilliant man. The world is less for his loss even though I disagreed with his forays into religion.

Hitchens would have been the one to cite, not the Vlogger and whatnot, probably the next approximation of Dawkins. However, even though historical atheism did encompass all branches of non-theism, modern terminology has caught up. Again, everything from a Hindu to a pagan would have been considered atheist under the original use of the term. Language evolves and Agnosticism is now the stance for not believing in God while not taking the stance that God does not exist. Atheism is the stance for God does not exist.

But I digress, there is some significant semantics at work here thanks to the ambiguity that time has dealt to atheism.

My only criticism of Dawkin's scale is that he limits the possibilities of Theism here. As stated, you don't have to believe that God is still active in creation to believe that someone created this. You don't necessarily have to believe in a creator AND a personal deity. So every step above 3 would rule out a person who believes that the Universe was created but doesn't have anything to say about whether or not He's still there.

Either way, you see here that Dawkins agrees that the term Atheist is the absolute belief that there is no God and that he agrees that a strictly defined atheism is indeed an actual belief system. Not that I think He doesn't exist, but that I "KNOW" He doesn't exist.
Dawkins actually created this scale as a way to side step agnosticism and to establish that absolute belief in non-existence is no unlike absolute belief in existence. I'll give this to Dawkins, he's fair in a lot of ways but he understood that under the current definition of Agnosticism it basically covered everywhere in-between his spectrum. I think he decided to create this spectrum to prevent himself from being called an agnostic when he is everything but atheist.

But I'm actually doing the same thing Dawkins is here. Honestly, I'm actually debating with an Atheist (you) with Dawkin's own definition. This has been quite an entertaining thing to do, I assure you. I assume this doesn't happen that often but the entire point of Huxley's terming of Agnosticism was that he did not want to assume any position because both terms establish a belief in the affirmative or negative. So I can just as easily use Huxley here on his own term.

"When I reached intellectual maturity and began to ask myself whether I was an atheist, a theist, or a pantheist; a materialist or an idealist; Christian or a freethinker; I found that the more I learned and reflected, the less ready was the answer; until, at last, I came to the conclusion that I had neither art nor part with any of these denominations, except the last. The one thing in which most of these good people were agreed was the one thing in which I differed from them. They were quite sure they had attained a certain "gnosis," ? had, more or less successfully, solved the problem of existence; while I was quite sure I had not, and had a pretty strong conviction that the problem was insoluble."

Thomas Henry Huxley (evolutionist, abolitionist, epic defender of the scientific process or reason) as you may or may not know, disliked theists and atheists alike and lamented being associated with atheists just because he wasn't a theist.

I agree that this scale needs to be expanded into a spectrum to apply to a wider set of beliefs. As it stands, it's really a scale of "God of Holy Text X -> Atheism". Also, aren't you doing the exact same thing to atheism as you criticize Dawkin's scale of doing with theism? Limiting the possible variations so that only people on the far extreme of the 7-side are really atheists?
Believing that God does not exist only happens one way. Believing that God does exist can happen in a myriad of ways from believing in the Christian God to believing in a vague unknown being or beings that designed the universe and brought it forth using unknown technologies/abilities.

My complaint with dawkin's scale is that he centers it around specific religion based theology. In all honesty, I think it's because he views the position I've been espousing as a legitimate scientific hypothesis while viewing specific faiths as unnecessary leaps in logic. So perhaps he isn't even debating against what I'm saying at all? That he readily admits that "knowing there is not God" is as faith-based as "knowing there is one" is nice. We don't get that kind of honesty in most debaters.

I don't really see that at all. I see that the strongest instance of Atheist, the 7, says that. The 6 is called "de facto Atheist", but Atheist nonetheless. And as I said before, most atheists don't put themselves down as 7's.
So, you are almost certain that the universe was not created by someone or something? You feel that you have evidence sufficient to believe it is by far most likely to the 80%-99% certainty level? Bear in mind the hypothetical creator I've posited in this discussion when considering this and not specific faiths that may color one's view of it necessarily being magic.

I'm very interested in your answer here. I find it far more probably that given our universe's principles that we likely have a cause outside ourselves. I'd love to have "something from nothing" explained as a more likely scenario and I'm not being sarcastic in this sentence like I know it sounds like. I've spoken with a lot of people over the years and it almost always comes down to a debate against religion rather than the noble pursuit of truth.

I personally believe that most people would suspect handiwork given all the information rather than pure randomness. But I believe a lot of us have been marred or harmed by the ignorant adherents of religion in a way that has truly biased us against the general idea of it even though it's quickly becoming within our own capabilities. Had I been born before virtualization technologies existed, I may have been far closer to the middle intellectually if not even over to the side of atheism. But that I see miniature universes created and destroyed, all with man-made logic and rules, I have a harder time believing that we aren't designed than anything else. That I believe our technology is approaching a day where we can create immense and complex universes digitally makes me really wonder about the likelihood that other beings would desire to do the same and what the likelihood would be that we're the first.

Our universe's principles make me doubt that we're the first and in my eyes almost demand some sort of cause or grand explanation side stepping it.

Well, you'd have to concede that disproving the claims of specific faiths would be a more pressing matter than disproving non-affiliated creationism. Specific faiths make specific claims and hold sway in governments and politics, not seldom because each of the three big ones claim to represent one billion people each. Judaism don't have those numbers, but is also very influential.
Eh, they seem to be losing power rapidly. In my opinion, they're only a threat to some social issues and generally stay the hell out of science. I'm still mad about stem cells though, as the only exception I can think where religion has interfered with modern science in recent memory. I mean, I get that if you believe that a fetus is human life (it is genetically human and organically alive by all definitions albeit not sentient) then you're going to be against abortion. But to waste what comes out of it is foolish at best. I mean, what a backhanded way to throw a tantrum at failing to legislate morality, you know?

Still, let's be clear, these are individual people and not a religion itself. Many Christians have no problem with Stem Cell research. Again, it's the people who have a problem that will always be the loudest. To generate a prejudice about a people based on the squeakiest of wheels would be to err in judgment of the whole cart.

We need not and likely cannot disprove these faiths. We can only strive to make sure we live in a world where one's lifestyle may be distinct from another's lifestyle without suffering a bloodied nose.

Look, I get the fear. I understand the concern that giving even a foot towards the idea of a creator of any sort is giving a foot to adherents of specific offensive faiths. But the pursuit of science and truth should never be about what it may lead to and only what it does and is. I would say that the belief in a specific deity, particularly a personal one that is never actually personal, is miles and miles and miles away from some nameless faceless creator hypothesis. The leap of faith is a significant distance.

And I disagree with assigning "faith" to Atheism; a belief not held in the face of lack of evidence is not the same as a belief held in the face of evidence. This is more a counter to religions in general, but even your extrauniversal programmer has the problem of unfalsifiability. Hitchen's Razor: What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
Believing that any kind of creator/s does/do not exist and never has/have is every bit as big a leap of logic as believing that God does exist and that His name is Ted. It's a wild jump away from the facts we have at hand. That the universe exists and little else.

It's the believing in an unknown that is faith. Pure and simple. To cite atheists who may be just as guilty of this faith as an adherent of a specific faith would be to let a weasel guard the hen house. Few people are willing to admit that they have faith in something and also admit that there's no evidence of it. A believer will say, "I have faith, look at all the universe as evidence." An atheist will say, "I have faith that you're wrong, look at the absence of His activity in all the universe as evident". Of course, I side step the argument with my position we wouldn't necessarily know anything about the creator. Not even that he's still alive or even if we're a particularly good creation.

In all honesty, I would say most self-proclaimed atheists are mere agnostics that are only atheist towards specific faiths.

Going to have to disagree on this point for a few reasons. One: what you're suggesting is not theism. If we found a way to peek into other universes somehow, and supposing we found life there in any way, shape or form, these beings would not be gods just because they're not subject to the laws governing our universe. If they were not subject to the laws of their own universes, on the other hand...
This is because you have a predefined notion of God and that he somehow has to be magic to be God which is already an impossibility as the term "magic" implies. So there is no criteria which can ever be met to supplicate your demands of God. In reality, all a being needs to be deemed God is to have created our universe. Nothing more necessarily but nothing less absolutely. In the Christian faith He needs to be "this", in the Islamic faith He needs to be "That", but none of that matters as long as the being is the one (if he/she was just one) that created the universe as we know it. Supernatural or natural means aside, it does not matter. If you are the one who created the universe, you are its creator, it's God. It exists because of you and would not have existed without you.

Look, a developer of a game may rightly be considered the game universe's God. In fact, not only did he create it but can also directly alter and influence it. Yet, if the game's inhabitants learned how exactly He did it they may not be that impressed even if grateful for existence.

Two: a combination of God of the Gaps and Shifting Goalposts. In our ignorant past, there were plenty of gaps in our knowledge to lodge deities into. With our expanding understanding of the world around us however, God/gods have had to become more vague and intangible in order to be less blatantly fictional. And now, when we are examining the very origin of our universe and the mind-boggling mechanics behind it, here we are again saying "Well, I think it's likely there's a deity behind THIS courtain."
What has any of this to do with me? I am merely positing that our universe came from something rather than nothing. Nearly all of observable science points to causes to all of our effects and to claim nothing rather than something is to shake off scientific observation in a vain attempt to shake of the Muslim religion's boogy man deity which has nothing to do with my comment. Your definition of God is that of a magical being whereas my definition is that of a being who, if found, would be real and therefore natural albeit alien to our universe purely because of the presupposed existence.

Again, there is a great gap between yours and my mentality. When you think of God, you think of everything people of specific man-made faiths would tell you. When I think of God intellectually, I think of an engineer, a hobbyist, or something like that. I am literally demystifying the notion of God here from a scientific perspective. If you want to talk theology, I am well versed in it. But this is science we're discussing and I'm not about to bring any assumptions about personal qualities of a creator that we have no knowledge of just because a book someone wrote tells me to.

Three: falsifiability. Barring the universe-peeking device from earlier, there is no way to disprove an entity that is before time, north of the North Pole, more than infinity and otherwhise outside comprehension. Nor is there anything stopping believers from saying that we just need to look in other universes, or outside other universes or before other universes, or saying that their deity is responsible for the creation of all the universes and is outside all of them, see point number two.
Let them believe what they will. What does that have to do with the plausibility of our own universe's design? Just because they don't see their own God in our explanation (or even if they do) and just because they move goal posts or find larger gaps to fit a magic being in doesn't have anything to do with truth.

If you're going to be a proponent of science, you should just be concerned with truth and not how other people will reject or abuse it. Truth is ours. Nothing else. I couldn't care less what some anti-evolutionist thinks about how the universe was created if they don't even have the Earth's creation right. I mean, seriously, how much have we failed if we let these people cloud our judgement and reason?

To paraphrase Thomas Huxley, I wouldn't burn down the ship to kill cockroaches.

I still don't agree that these are the same. And if they were, there would be some rather horrifying implications. Can you imagine a GTA game where every NPC was a thinking, feeling AI capable of actual suffering? Or, for that matter, a Sims-game?
Yes, I can imagine the implications, as you just did, and it will eventually happen when technology makes it viable for us to make.

I don't understand why there being horrible possibilities or bad implications makes something less true or possible.

Please don't ever use the term "super-evolved" again. I get what you're trying to say, but the idea has as much merit as the whole "radiation is magic" thing from old sci-fi stories like Godzilla. Evolution is not a linear process where dogs are less evolved than humans but more evolved than worms. Every living creature on earth is the result of 3,7 billion years of evolutionary success by their ancestors.
Eh, I'll stick with the term super-evolved. I get that you dislike it or something like that but you also basically understood the intention of my comment which is the entire point of language. To convey a point accurately and succinctly.

The part you got kind of wrong in my intention is this, super-evolved as I intended has nothing to do with time, per se. It merely meant that the being has evolved into something far superior (super, if you will) to our own species that to compare its traits to our own would make them superhuman subjectively. Say along the lines of intelligence or capability (a creature that can receive and transmit radio waves for example). I don't mean the equivalent of us in 10 billion years. Though, maybe? If we ever get off this rock. Perhaps the sentient computer life we eventually create.

"Something" did presumably cause it, I'm pretty sure that's what's being looked for. I think the disagreement is for what constitutes "something". Krauss' idea might be flawed (don't know, as I said), but so was Lamarckian evolution, so it was replaced with a superior one. Think of the whole scientific community as a sculptor with a block of marble. Eveytime a theory is shown to be wrong, a small bit of marble is removed, and it continues until a theory emerges that (can be, but) isn't proven wrong and voilá!, a masterpiece. To say that the most recent theory or the best theory we got right now has holes in it, therefore we should stop investigating and just proclaim creationism as the most likely scenario seems defeatist to me. Also, what would change in the scientific approach if we just up and said "Steve from another universe probably made our universe"? Can't prove it, can't disprove it, and we'll probably keep looking for answers anyway.
The way I see it is that the atheist camp is having the same problems that the faith camp is. They're starting with the assumption that something is true and then trying to gather information to prove it. This is not the way the scientific community should run experiments. Assumptions should not be made. Hypothesis should be tested.

In struggling to come up with a way that the universe could have come from nothing we see people failing to account for the subsets that make up the set (such as quantum forms that I mentioned Krauss failed to explain). Again, his argument is the equivalent of showing that planets pull towards each-other for no reason because gravity does it. Or that radio waves exist for no reason because a transmitter emits it. What's more is that a plausibility does not a fact make. Let's say we disregard where all the things came from to do the things that he says they do from nothing. This is one far stretch of a hypothesis compared to a very simple one: Someone created it.

Consider the idea that someone made this universe the same way a developer makes a game. Isn't that a far easier explanation for this universe's existence? I mean, sure, that someone magicked it into existence would be complex. But that someone like a developer designed the procedural generation that our universe follows (the laws of science) and then just hit the processing button. We have SOOOOooo many examples of this already. No Man's Sky being a very interesting one.

The problem is that scientists look at magic beings when they think of creators. Just like you in this argument, they have been so conditioned to think of a magical impossibility that they can't see a simple explanation for what it is. For example, some autistic programmer from universe 5 made a procedurally generated universe in his dad's basement one summer and it isn't even a particularly complex one. Seriously, forget the religious minded. Forget faith. Forget oppressive faith-based governments and sharia law. Come at the problem of existence with the assumption that we exist when we did not have to, that our existence is stable enough to support organic life and that something most certainly caused this existence as opposed to non-existence. Come with the observations that we make tiny universes all the time with our limited technology and that almost all things we've observed as a species since the beginning of our humble existence as sentient beings have had causes.

Yet somehow, with the weight of all of observable science and with a bulk of simple answers to the problem of existence I am somehow supposed to go with one of the least likely solutions of something from nothing? I mean, sure, several faiths are even less likely but taken metaphorically not as ridiculous as a less likely and more complex answer of something from nothing.

My point was none, so to speak. I have a friend in physics with some insight into quantum theory, and he will occasionally throw bizarre tidbits my way. Things that just make no sense, but work anyway. Here, my assumption isn't that "these things are impossible, so quantum theory must be bunk". Rather, I admit to my own lack of understanding and assume that we're missing significant parts of the puzzle.
Oh, sure, I absolutely agree that we're dealing with an extreme lack of information and an extreme inability to gather what information may exist.

However, Krauss' argument still leaves it at something from something while calling something nothing as I've stated so many times before. You can't point to the fact that matter can come into and out of existence in a quantum vacuum without talking about where the quantum vacuum (a thing that actually has electromagnetic waves in it) came from or why any of the numerous principles of quantum mechanics exist in the form they do.

Basically, Krauss is just trying to explain a way that matter came into existence without explaining energy. Depending on how knowledgeable you are of science, saying that energy existed is the same as saying that matter existed because the two can be converted into the other. For some reason, Krauss thinks that Matter = Universe when it's only part of the equation and not even half (even succeeding to explain matter and energy would still leave principles of interaction, the laws of science themselves). It would be interesting to see how he thinks the temporary virtual particles created in a quantum vacuum would create macro matter.

I may have you at a disadvantage here though. Science in all its forms has always been a great passion of mine. By my second year of highschool I was already attending science courses in university from premed biology to chemistry and eventually more complex physics. I suppose that the only reason I'm not a professional scientist is that the kind of research scientist I'd had to have been would have been a university employee, something I've always hated the idea of.

Anyways, allow me to explain why quantum fluctuations are a poor mechanic to rely on.

Quantum fluctuations produce temporary virtual particles (though saying temporary and virtual is like saying "ATM machine"). It absolutely must be temporary due to the uncertainty principle requiring a short-lived state not having a well defined energy. The larger the energy source (aka, easier to define), the shorter the state in existence. So if our universe has any absolute value of energy at all besides 0 then we should have disappeared in less than a moment. Not even observable were there someone to observe it. The only thought people have is that maybe if our universe's total energy was 0 then we'd be able to persist. Maybe. We don't even know how that works with individual virtual particles which exist for so short a time that only the result of their interactions while around is observable.

Even then, even if this were true and that were possible then we still have a given that a space, a quantum vacuum that already had at least some electromagnetic energy had to have existed for the conditions of quantum fluctuation to occur.

You talk about God in the gap. Atheists are also guilty of "No God" in the gap. This is it, the pursuit of proof of no God by bending science and math in such a way where not-God may be possible and relying on highly unlikely scenarios that would literally require a God's eye view to verify. All energy=0? How the hell would we even begin verify that? Quantum vacuum produced from nothing by Quantum Gravity? We don't even have a working model of quantum gravity and quantum gravity itself is a thing...

Maybe that's a turtles all the way down scenario? Maybe quantum cheerios cause quantum gravity and quantum cheerios are of course a product of quantum potatoes even though science will initially think quantum whole wheat was the cause?

We shouldn't be bending our principles around the outcomes we expect. When we do that we get math that relies on the Earth being the center of the solar system rather than correct math.

Also, brownie-points for HHGTTG-reference :). Would that I could summon a babelfish...^^
I'm not going to lie, his writings actually have influenced my way of thinking about the universe and our position in it (that, despite the ending of the first book, we are not necessarily important in any way nor that there is necessarily any meaning to it all that would be meaningful to us in the slightest).

Your point with the deism vs. theism bit was a bit unclear. You say that deists go too far in saying that god may or may not interact at all, because he may or may not interact somewhere else? But yes, deism is watered-down theism.
I'm saying that deists believe that God does not interact. This is their stance and assumption. I believe that even that is too much of an assumption. That's why I made the comments that we may just not be relevant to direct interaction. God may also not be all-knowing and even be aware that this one pebble in the universe has life while being directly involved in other solar systems and galaxies. We can only state that we have not observed direct real-time interaction from God on our planet or observed in space from any of our current means. We also haven't observed alien life.

This sounds like a polytheistic offshoot of Intelligent Design. "Intelligent Design by Committee"...XD
I didn't posit or reject multiple creators. Polytheism being the belief and worship of multiple gods. It's possible that it was a committee, joke or not. Highly complex environments usually are the result of a development team or whatever else. Hopefully our universe is complex and not a shoddily built high school computer project. Heh.

But all of those possibilities were just to explain that we don't know jack about nill. Things don't have to be the way we think they are. A creator of our universe doesn't have to even know Earth specifically exists or even care about it if he/she/they do. I was, in a way, agreeing with you. God, if God continues to exist, doesn't have to be some all knowing, all powerful, omnipresent, everlasting being.

There are just sooo many possibilities and if we are going to accept that we don't know anything really about any creator then I can't confirm or deny those possibilities. I can just only explain other scenarios, like the example of some creatures that reproduce by creating an egg-universe in which the life inside will eventually become sentient and powerful enough to "hatch". I by no means believe any of the scenarios I've put forth. I'm just describing all the ones I can think of. If natural selection really does result in the most fit creatures for their environments, the leaving it unchecked should result in something that could ultimately result in a creature fit to survive outside of the universe in which it was created. Interfering would potentially damage the impact of natural selection and assist an unfit species from attaining the level of transcendence.

Also, proponents of Design seem to want to have it both ways at times:

"Look at this super-well calibrated biological mechanism, it's so finely tuned and perfectly crafted it has to have been designed!"

"Actually, that design is very inefficient, and any first-year engineering student would solve the same problem like so."

"Well, you dont know what the designer had in mind!"
Yep, we sure do know a lot of ignorant folks who argue both ways when it is convenient to them. Are they in this thread? Let's get them!

Anyways, people who aren't part of this discussion aside, the argument of complexity doesn't require a component of efficiency to be deemed sufficiently complex. If you find an inefficient clock in the woods that keeps poor track of time you don't assume that it came together randomly and naturally just because you've seen better clocks. Complexity just has to be complex enough to not appear random.

Additionally, scale alongside complexity magnifies the difficulty of efficiency because intricacy is often sacrificed at the benefit of scale while scale is often sacrificed at the benefit of intricacy. What I mean to say is that the larger the environment the less intricate the individual components tend to be. So, say you created an entire universe? Who gives two shits East of Sunday if the heart pumping in creatures living on a blue planet in one solar system amongst so many in just one galaxy amongst sooo many is inefficient as long as it gets the job done? All that really matters at that scale is that it all works and is stable enough to support that kind of complexity and intricacy.

In any event, evolution appears to be a strong enough principle to result in complex arrangements that aren't necessarily efficient. I see no reason to make this argument with biological matters. I do have serious questions about abiogenesis (sustained organic life from inorganic material) that the life in a test tube experiment fell ultra-short on but not enough to make any sort of claim that organic life isn't natural. I certainly see evidence of evolution so that's the side I'm leaning on until/unless evidence to the contrary is presented.

I agree, the Matrix was a good movie. too bad there were no sequels.[/predictable joke]
That something can be written about doesn't make it any less plausible.

A creator is an untestable hypothesis believed against a lack of evidence, and is therefore a matter of faith.
There being no creator is an untestable hypothesis believed against a lack of evidence and is therefore a matter of faith.

But keep in mind, I think we both agree that a step towards a specific named and personified deity is a larger step of faith than either the mere belief or disbelief in an unknown creator.

I didn't mention Jesus once in the passage you quoted, nor did I attribute the creator you posit with any characteristics unique to Christianity. I don't know what you want me to change.
You keep bringing up the idea that the creator of this universe didn't create a flawless universe. Ergo, it feels like you're trying to discredit my position because you think I'm assuming that a creator must be perfect or all knowing.

So you're forcing specific attributes on my side that aren't there. Hence my complaint that you're projecting specific deities on my side of the fence.

As above, I also don't know that a "perfect" universe was even a goal. Most of the time we just shoot for interesting rather than absolute perfection. In order to presume a bumbling or incompetent creator we would first have to make assumptions about His motivation for creation.

Not sure if the "pond scum" bit is a dig at evolution or abiogenesis. But if you're going to use your (somewhat questionable) analogy of us making movies and video games and callling them "universes", then you'd have to concede that the creator of that universe came from simple beginnings, and also entertain the possibility of the same being true for your "pimply kid".
Pond scum was just a random example. I own a house with a pond. It is presently infested with duckweed which I am raising tilapia in to hopefully keep the amount of duckweed down. So pond scum is on the brain. Nothing more.

In any case "creator preceeds creation" presupposes that this is a creation. "creator precedes existence" follows much less logically.
Sure, but I'm uncertain what your point it here. Has science made the claim that there was necessarily nothing before our universe? That our universe must necessarily be the whole of existence with nothing preceding it? Wild speculation there, one that our foremost minds are rapidly speculating against. The existence of the universe via a random process and the existence of the universe via a creator both lend themselves to the concept of multiple universes.

In any case, the "pimply kid in his parent's basement" you're proposing isn't "prime". Proposing that as an explanation is just shifting the goalposts back immensely to the beginning of that universe.[/quote] I literally used the pimply kid as an example that our universe's creator, should we have one, doesn't necessarily need to be the prime or unmoved mover. Um... so yeah, I agree that it isn't "prime".

But by necessity, we need to eventually hit a creator or universe in which cause and effect is not required as long as we're going to reject turtles all the way down. Something has to be the bottom. I was just making two points there:

1. That the creator of our universe doesn't necessarily have to abide by any of the laws of our universe.
2. That the creator of our universe could potentially abide by any or all of the laws of our universe.

So we simply don't know. It could be pimple jr. or it could be Dr. Who's final incarnation as a being with extreme knowledge, capability, and technology.

I have no problem with you being a christian. one of my best friends girlfriend is a deeply believing christian (training to be a deacon, even), and is possibly the kindest person I have ever met. Even so, just as I have my bias towards unbelief because of people and principles I respect, I think I detected a bit of bias towards belief in some of your posts, but nothing serious. I hope that you find some good in your faith that I'm unable to see, and if you feel it motivates you to do good, keep at it.
It does motivate me to do "good" in society and it also gives me a way to feel closer to my belief that our universe has a creator. However, should it come down to a heaven/hell scenario I am concerned that my faith would be found lacking in lieu of my distinction between intellect and faith. In any event. Pure and undefiled religion in the eyes of God, is found in helping orphans and widows in their time of need.

I'd be careful to distinguish between bias and belief. If I lean some way it is not necessarily out of bias. I would have no problem with the possibility that the universe can come from nothing if I believed that there was evidence of that. The Christian faith deals primarily with the creation of the Earth or more specifically (since the scriptures say He hovered over the surface of the Earth's waters before day 1) Him creating life on it. So you mentioned moving goal posts around, faith really makes it easy to do. So I would not have a conflict because of that.

I simply believe that it is far more likely that the universe was designed rather than popping into existence. Bias requires that my belief gives unfair weight to evidence on one side than another. I think I've been nothing but fair and willing to listen to all sides of the matter. Hopefully I've come across as at least somewhat knowledgeable on the matter.

My problem with belief arises when believers use their beliefs to justify impositions on people who don't share their faith and on humanity as a whole. You feel you should build orphanages because Jesus? Knock yourself out. You feel that marriage should be limited to straight couples by law because God invented marriage, and also genders? That's going to be a problem. I could list more examples, but that would just be ranting. You get the point. As for me, I didn't become an atheist because Richard Dawkins said so, but it was after reading his book I could properly articulate the reasons behind my disbelief.
Exactly my point. Why the religious feel that others must believe and behave the same as them is beyond me. How Christianity went from an incredibly oppressed people to oppressors is astounding to me. What a shame. Surely a religion about love and turning the other cheek when confronted by non-Christians should be turned into a spread-by-the-sword religion and persecution of others [/sad-sarcasm]

Gay marriage is a fascinating subject. The US government instituted marriage licenses as a regular requirement towards the end of the civil war as a way to prevent interracial marriages and it just somehow persisted. Before then, common law marriage was accepted and licenses were only to make exceptions for what would otherwise be illegal (for example, if there was a mandated one-year mourning period after a spouse died but you really wanted to get remarried sooner you'd need to get a marriage license). I believe that marriage (a religious and cultural human practice that is not owned by any specific religion or culture) is such a fundamental human right that the government should not be able to issue anything with the term marriage on it. I'm all for the full abolishment of the marriage license and the unfair government control over this human right. Two consenting adults should be able to make that commitment, not ask permission.

I believe that much of the debate on allowing gay people to get married is due to the ignorant thinking that the marriage license relates directly to their own religion's or culture's expression of marriage. The word marriage being the obvious culprit for such an association. But hey, people are dumb. I'm sure they'd find a way to fight about it anyways. But it looks like people have been a lot less offended by civil unions so I'm led to believe that the term is more offensive than the actual rights they're fighting for.

Shame that people have to be all up in other people's business when it has nothing to do with them. Go ahead, be gay, be atheist, be whatever as long as I can be what I am too. If there is a God that weighs our actions and sorts us accordingly, then the scales are his business and not mine. The Bible certainly doesn't command we try to legislate people into Christianity if they don't believe. Oh well. At least I vote according to my conscience and reason rather than along party lines or whatever.

It is sad to have to preface like that, but imagine how some atheists in America feel when they see that opinion polls (that is, large, statistically significant bodies of people) rank atheists on the same level as rapists in terms of trustworthiness.
Well, trolls are gonna troll. I would only request that you not follow prejudice with more prejudice. Though, I would certainly question the sample pool of that poll. Atheists and rapists? Haha, the hell?

Ingjald

Nov 17, 2009
Lightknight said:
What does any of this have to do with the protestant version of the Christian God? My entire discussion with you has been about an a-religious creator or creators of the Universe who may or may not have any impact in the universe today. I certainly never specified a specific deity or quality about said creator aside from that they created it through whatever means. So I'm not sure where this comment came from. You just have to not believe in a creator or local spirit deities or what have you.
My apologies. Your unorthodox use of the word "specifically" in the post before threw me off. That, and Mr. Talisker...

Also, I believe you were right with regards to the study about atheists and rapists. I looked it up, and the question was oddly stated, and the sample pool was little more than 100 students. The results were most likely blown out of all reasonable proportions over the interwebs. Still, that one study is hardly the only example of prejudice against atheists, even if it seems to be one of the more bizarre ones.

So, you are almost certain that the universe was not created by someone or something? You feel that you have evidence sufficient to believe it is by far most likely to the 80%-99% certainty level? Bear in mind the hypothetical creator I've posited in this discussion when considering this and not specific faiths that may color one's view of it necessarily being magic.

I'm very interested in your answer here. I find it far more probably that given our universe's principles that we likely have a cause outside ourselves. I'd love to have "something from nothing" explained as a more likely scenario and I'm not being sarcastic in this sentence like I know it sounds like. I've spoken with a lot of people over the years and it almost always comes down to a debate against religion rather than the noble pursuit of truth.
Again with your need for me to assert certainty in negatives. But alright, I find that absence of evidence is reasonable grounds for assuming absence. Also, you can't guard yourself by saying "created by someone or something"; it's "created by someone" or "caused by something", not the same thing. And I've already said that since the universe as we know it had a beginning, it's resonable to assume that this beginning was caused by "something". This something we don't yet understand, probably don't yet have the tools needed to understand, and attributing sentience to it is just superflous anthropomorphism.

And yet he called himself an antitheist because he didn't think atheism was a strong enough term for him. But damn, that was a brilliant man. The world is less for his loss even though I disagreed with his forays into religion.

Hitchens would have been the one to cite, not the Vlogger and whatnot, probably the next approximation of Dawkins. However, even though historical atheism did encompass all branches of non-theism, modern terminology has caught up. Again, everything from a Hindu to a pagan would have been considered atheist under the original use of the term. Language evolves and Agnosticism is now the stance for not believing in God while not taking the stance that God does not exist. Atheism is the stance for God does not exist.
Well, the antitheism thing seems to be to have been more that he believed theistic faith needs to be opposed in all its forms, rather than any need to elevate his own atheism to be more than that of others. Given his track record as a journalist, can you really blame him?

While I certainly agree that in terms of intellectual firepower, Hitchens blows AronRa out of the water, I wouldn't be quite so quick to dismiss him as just another angry atheist with a youtube channel. His "foundational falsehoods of creationism" video-series is very informative, easy to follow, and actually seem to be made with the intent to have the viewer understand the point made, rather than to justify the smug sense of superiority of the maker, which is a thing that plagues many internet atheists. It's grating when the faithful do it, and it's not any prettier to see it from the side you agree with...

Aso, I'll post a link later to a video where he argues against the Texas Board of Education, in their most recent attempt to get Intelligent Design into the classrooms.

Thomas Henry Huxley (evolutionist, abolitionist, epic defender of the scientific process or reason) as you may or may not know, disliked theists and atheists alike and lamented being associated with atheists just because he wasn't a theist.
Darwin's Bulldog :). Would this be at a time when "atheists" included all things non-christian and also their dog? I'm not clear on quite when that became nuanced into more what we mean today.

I think it's because he views the position I've been espousing as a legitimate scientific hypothesis while viewing specific faiths as unnecessary leaps in logic.
Now, I wouldn't want to presume to put words in Dawkin's mouth, but I'm fairly convinced this is not so. For one, what actually is your position? A non-denominational creator-entity before and outside our universe, or the matrix-thing, or the fire-and-forget one where our universe was started and promptly left to our own devices? Do you believe the universe was crafted or allowed to develop emergently in accordance with a set of basic rules?

Now, I'm merely an amateur scientist (with dreams of studying biology sometime in the future), and not a nigh-professional such as yourself, But I can see several ways this fails as a scientific hypothesis; it's neither testable nor falsifiable, it offers neither predictions nor explanations and by its very nature it fails the test of parsimony.

Furthermore, you said earlier that you believe you see evidence of design in the world. I'm curious as to what this evidence would be.

Also, you keep using "cause", "creator" and "designer" interchangeably. These are not the same thing. Asking me if I believe the universe had a creator is not the same as asking me whether of not I think the universe had a cause, and vice versa. You argue for design in the universe, but posit a creator that isn't necessarily a designer.

You keep bringing up the idea that the creator of this universe didn't create a flawless universe. Ergo, it feels like you're trying to discredit my position because you think I'm assuming that a creator must be perfect or all knowing.

So you're forcing specific attributes on my side that aren't there. Hence my complaint that you're projecting specific deities on my side of the fence.

As above, I also don't know that a "perfect" universe was even a goal. Most of the time we just shoot for interesting rather than absolute perfection. In order to presume a bumbling or incompetent creator we would first have to make assumptions about His motivation for creation.
All I'm forcing on your side of the argument are the things that you yourself would have to concede have to be there for any discussion of an intelligent designer to make any sense; a measure of intelligence, a measure of creativity (and creativity implies the ability to hold subjective opinions, so at least sentience as well),and some power to put those to work. Now, I dont know to what extent you believe design applies to the animal kingdom, which would be where the preponderance of my knowledge lies, but simply "bad design" or "unknown end-goal" aren't enough to explain away some of these things that make perfect sense in light of evolution, but no sense at all from a design perspective.
The example freshest in memory would be the recurrent laryngeal nerve in mammals (recently watched a video with Dawkins present at the dissection a giraffe), a legacy from a fish-like ancestor that now manifests as a nerve that makes nonsensical detours (several meters in giraffes) despite the starting point and end point being mere centimeters from each other. Another example would be egg-laying in worker ants, where worker ants away from the pheromonal influence of the queen might lay eggs themselves. These eggs are either non-embryonated and therefore only good for eating (at a net loss in energy), or they hatch into males, who are useless unless it's swarming season ( I'm not even sure these males are fertile, so they might be entirely useless.) The bottom line is that this makes sense if the ants evolved from a previous incarnation of hymenopterans who had not yet become eusocial and made kin selection their modus operandi, but no sense at all if a designer is assumed. Further examples would be external genitalia in human males, leg bones in both whales and snakes, and my own upper right third molar, well on its way to being impacted.
I'm not saying these specific things disprove a creator, but I would argue that they point straight away from a designer.

Pond scum was just a random example. I own a house with a pond. It is presently infested with duckweed which I am raising tilapia in to hopefully keep the amount of duckweed down. So pond scum is on the brain. Nothing more.
Fair enough. That comment sounded a bit too much like strawman-abiogenesis+evolution.("pond scum was hit by lightning, and then a rock made a spider out of nothing.")

You talk about God in the gap. Atheists are also guilty of "No God" in the gap. This is it, the pursuit of proof of no God by bending science and math in such a way where not-God may be possible and relying on highly unlikely scenarios that would literally require a God's eye view to verify. All energy=0? How the hell would we even begin verify that? Quantum vacuum produced from nothing by Quantum Gravity? We don't even have a working model of quantum gravity and quantum gravity itself is a thing...
I'm unconvinced this reversal is valid. Everytime science progressed and explored a supposed gap wherein God might have resided, it found mere nature there waiting. So experience, one might assert, favours the "no God in the Gap" position. Now, I will concede that physics is not my forte, and, as you put it, you more than likely have me at a disadvantage there. However, spending time around people whose forte is physics has at least taught me that intuitiveness is not a requirement, and counterintuitiveness is not an obstacle. we are medium-sized objects moving at medium speed. We are cerebrally ill-equipped to deal with things that are extremely large, extremely small, moving extremely fast or otherwhise operating at extremes. I regularly hear about multiple particles occupying the exact same space, particles that temporarily are three particles, particles that may or may not be travelling in time, particles that seem to be teleporting and particles reacting to eachother with no discernible connection. This all sounds like sorcery to me, but I must assume that such observations have some validity to them, or else science would throw the idea of them out. Sufficiently analyzed magic.

Eh, I'll stick with the term super-evolved. I get that you dislike it or something like that but you also basically understood the intention of my comment which is the entire point of language. To convey a point accurately and succinctly.

The part you got kind of wrong in my intention is this, super-evolved as I intended has nothing to do with time, per se. It merely meant that the being has evolved into something far superior (super, if you will) to our own species that to compare its traits to our own would make them superhuman subjectively. Say along the lines of intelligence or capability (a creature that can receive and transmit radio waves for example). I don't mean the equivalent of us in 10 billion years. Though, maybe? If we ever get off this rock. Perhaps the sentient computer life we eventually create.
Well, I get what you mean because it's not the first time it's been misused in the exact same way. The X-men movies, Jekyll, Heroes and the afore-mentioned Godzilla all go with the "evolution is a ladder, and here's what's on a few rungs above people" (ok, maybe not Godzilla, there it's just technobabble for why there's Godzilla now). Also, plenty of creatures have capabilities far beyond us. Our only real claims to fame are our brains and our upright stature and opposable thumbs, meaning we have gripping hands on limbs we don't need to use for walking. Granted, these claims to fame have gotten us all the way to where we are now, but creatures with "superhuman" capabilities are all around us.

The reason our traits aren't greater than they are is that they don't have to be. Our environment don't kill us if they aren't. Our intelligent, pattern-seeking, curious minds helped us excert influence on the world around us by means other than superior physical strength, speed and agility. And I'm racking my brain trying to think of a way that such a being as you propose could evolve, but the only way I can think of it being achieved would be by cybernetics and gene-manipulation.

Also, you'll be interested to know there are creatures who can survive in space. Google "tardigrade".

Eh, they seem to be losing power rapidly. In my opinion, they're only a threat to some social issues and generally stay the hell out of science. I'm still mad about stem cells though, as the only exception I can think where religion has interfered with modern science in recent memory. I mean, I get that if you believe that a fetus is human life (it is genetically human and organically alive by all definitions albeit not sentient) then you're going to be against abortion. But to waste what comes out of it is foolish at best. I mean, what a backhanded way to throw a tantrum at failing to legislate morality, you know?

Still, let's be clear, these are individual people and not a religion itself. Many Christians have no problem with Stem Cell research. Again, it's the people who have a problem that will always be the loudest. To generate a prejudice about a people based on the squeakiest of wheels would be to err in judgment of the whole cart.

We need not and likely cannot disprove these faiths. We can only strive to make sure we live in a world where one's lifestyle may be distinct from another's lifestyle without suffering a bloodied nose.

Look, I get the fear. I understand the concern that giving even a foot towards the idea of a creator of any sort is giving a foot to adherents of specific offensive faiths. But the pursuit of science and truth should never be about what it may lead to and only what it does and is. I would say that the belief in a specific deity, particularly a personal one that is never actually personal, is miles and miles and miles away from some nameless faceless creator hypothesis. The leap of faith is a significant distance.
I agree whole-heartedly about the stem cell thing. I do, however, disagree as to whether or not theyre still a threat. It is precisely because they have sway in certain social issues that they are dangerous. Gay marriage would be a no- brainer without their influence. Abortion would still be seriously discussed, but the debate would be nowhere near as infected. Abstincence Only would be a sex-ed policy exactly nowhere. And furthermore, they don't stay the hell out of science; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMzW813WJ1c . Texas Board of Education trying to "deal blows" to the teaching of evolution in science class. Not pictured is the part where they're also trying to revise history by downplaying Paine and Lincoln, and up-playing Jefferson Davies. Also downplaying slavery and up-playing the influence of religious faith on the founding fathers, and spinning some yarn about the USA being founded as a religious utopia. Summa Summarum; they want to downplay science and reason, and up-play religious and nationalistic fervor. I'm not even American, but this level of organized, politiziced, intentional sowing of ignorance in what is supposed to be a First World country frankly makes me afraid for the future.

Of course these are individuals. But at what point do they stop being individuals and become groups? I get that loudmouthed crazies get the bulk of the attention, I get that the Westboro Baptist Church isn't a portrait of Republican America. But if the crazy wasn't widespread, then there wouldn't be a market for megachurches, Ken Ham would be a used car salesman, Kent Hovind would be in jail (oh, wait...) and millions upon millions of tax-reduced donation-dollars wouldn't be in the hands of people who think the world is younger than its oldest tree.
But what I suspect is that the real danger is complacency. Suppose you identify as a christian of some stripe, more culturally than in actual faith. You've been brought up to believe that Jesus taught love and peace and all that, and that you're onboard with that, but you're more concerned with everyday life than spiritual woowoo. Then you come across spirited preacher du jour, through your media of choice. You feel connected to them through your faith and for a small payment you get the feelgood of having contributed to the nondescript spreading of the word of Jesus. Only, depending on who said preacher was, you might well have contributed to the teaching of nonsense in science classes, or maybe an amusement park full of dinosaurs and ignorance, or why not a campaign against condoms in aids-riddled Africa? I'm not trying to say that all christian charities are terrible charlatans or fundamentalist nutjobs, but I'm saying that faith is an easy way to score points among people not looking too closely.

I'd be glad to leave these groups to their fables. If they were satisfied with getting together every sunday to chat about whatever one might chat about in such a situation, and then go home and be done about it. But when they step out of their world and into mine, I expect them to adhere to secular rules agreed upon by people of a multitude of colors, sexes, sexualities, faiths, non-faiths, economic situations and political views. They will have what consideration is due them as members of a larger society, no more.

I'll admit that I associate the idea of a creator with some rather dangerous and repulsive ideas and ideals. But more important to me is what really happened and what we might learn from it. In short, I care about what is true, just as you say: "if there's truth, it's ours".
I think that assigning a mind to the beginning of the universe is still an anthropomorphism, and I think speculation as to what may exist outside our universe is best left to when we have anything to go by with regards to that, and all else must fall to Hitchen's Razor. Ultimately, The world does not owe us an explanation, nor does it care if we get one. And there is a stark beauty in that.

Gay marriage is a fascinating subject. The US government instituted marriage licenses as a regular requirement towards the end of the civil war as a way to prevent interracial marriages and it just somehow persisted. Before then, common law marriage was accepted and licenses were only to make exceptions for what would otherwise be illegal (for example, if there was a mandated one-year mourning period after a spouse died but you really wanted to get remarried sooner you'd need to get a marriage license). I believe that marriage (a religious and cultural human practice that is not owned by any specific religion or culture) is such a fundamental human right that the government should not be able to issue anything with the term marriage on it. I'm all for the full abolishment of the marriage license and the unfair government control over this human right. Two consenting adults should be able to make that commitment, not ask permission.

I believe that much of the debate on allowing gay people to get married is due to the ignorant thinking that the marriage license relates directly to their own religion's or culture's expression of marriage. The word marriage being the obvious culprit for such an association. But hey, people are dumb. I'm sure they'd find a way to fight about it anyways. But it looks like people have been a lot less offended by civil unions so I'm led to believe that the term is more offensive than the actual rights they're fighting for.

Shame that people have to be all up in other people's business when it has nothing to do with them. Go ahead, be gay, be atheist, be whatever as long as I can be what I am too. If there is a God that weighs our actions and sorts us accordingly, then the scales are his business and not mine. The Bible certainly doesn't command we try to legislate people into Christianity if they don't believe. Oh well. At least I vote according to my conscience and reason rather than along party lines or whatever.
Did not know about the history of marriage licenses in the US. That is interesting. We have something similar here, but we are also one of the most secular countries in the world, so religious influence is pretty subdued and is basically sitting in the corner sulking about it. Also: http://www.godhatestheworld.com/sweden/filthymanneroflife.html .
I consider being hated by the late Phelps a definite sign that we're doing something right here. His butthurt is delicious. Furthermore, all the lovey-dovey rituals and vows of love, support and fidelity aside, marriage is nowadays primarily a legal document of having a joint household, not so the government can give it a stamp of approval one way or the other, but rather as a shorthand in matters of inheritance, representation and taxation. As such, the genders and sexuality of those involved is entirely irrelevant.
Personally, I find the "civil union" substitution to be insulting in the other direction: it seems to be saying "ok, you gays get some rights, but you're not married for realsies because gay!". Either way someone is going to get overruled, and I'd much sooner grant rights to people who should have them than I'd withold rights from the same group because another group feels it would cheapen their having those same rights.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Ingjald said:
Again with your need for me to assert certainty in negatives. But alright, I find that absence of evidence is reasonable grounds for assuming absence. Also, you can't guard yourself by saying "created by someone or something"; it's "created by someone" or "caused by something", not the same thing. And I've already said that since the universe as we know it had a beginning, it's resonable to assume that this beginning was caused by "something". This something we don't yet understand, probably don't yet have the tools needed to understand, and attributing sentience to it is just superflous anthropomorphism.
The "something" is left to account for a non-sentient creature that created the universe either unintentionally or as the consequence of some other intended action or nature of it (like a mostly mechanical non-sentient robot or program that was itself just built to design worlds).

The only reason I lean towards sentience is the apparent order of design that's stable enough to support something as fragile as human life and organized principles that may be observed and classified. Einstein also marveled at that though not to the point of believing in God of course. Perhaps he suspected the possibility but certainly didn't actively believe by any means.

While I certainly agree that in terms of intellectual firepower, Hitchens blows AronRa out of the water, I wouldn't be quite so quick to dismiss him as just another angry atheist with a youtube channel. His "foundational falsehoods of creationism" video-series is very informative, easy to follow, and actually seem to be made with the intent to have the viewer understand the point made, rather than to justify the smug sense of superiority of the maker, which is a thing that plagues many internet atheists. It's grating when the faithful do it, and it's not any prettier to see it from the side you agree with...
Is it a video on creation of the universe or merely Earth creation? If it's Earth creationism then I'd just spend the entire video discussing fossils. "And this is the fossil of a 500 million year-old Trilobite." Then I'd drop the mike and walk away whilst hugging my fossil collection.

Darwin's Bulldog :). Would this be at a time when "atheists" included all things non-christian and also their dog? I'm not clear on quite when that became nuanced into more what we mean today.
He distinguished between atheism and paganism in his discussion so there appeared to be some kind of distinction there. He was frustrated that by not believing in God he was automatically placed in the Atheist category which he believed was affirming the belief in the negative. Same as Dawkins and his entire reason for the scale.

Now, I wouldn't want to presume to put words in Dawkin's mouth, but I'm fairly convinced this is not so. For one, what actually is your position? A non-denominational creator-entity before and outside our universe, or the matrix-thing, or the fire-and-forget one where our universe was started and promptly left to our own devices? Do you believe the universe was crafted or allowed to develop emergently in accordance with a set of basic rules?
I have no idea. I don't have any evidence to confirm or deny any of those situations aside from my suspicion that there was a creator in general.

As for Dawkins most likely considering full atheism to be similar to faith, look at his scale. Him putting Atheism as the "I don't just believe, I KNOW that God does not exist" in direct contrast with the Theist position of "I don't just believe, I KNOW that God does exist" and then placing himself as less than the Atheist position on the scale despite him one of the main faces of Atheism at the moment. He likely agrees that 100% Atheism is a firm affirmation of gnosis on the topic in the same way 100% theism is. What else do you think he means by the way he defined Atheism?

Now, I'm merely an amateur scientist (with dreams of studying biology sometime in the future), and not a nigh-professional such as yourself, But I can see several ways this fails as a scientific hypothesis; it's neither testable nor falsifiable, it offers neither predictions nor explanations and by its very nature it fails the test of parsimony.
Nigh-professional would have been a number of more years for me yet despite taking more than a major's worth of classes. I just took science every chance I got well beyond the requirement. I'd loved to have had access to more advanced graduate level courses but I was just grateful that they allowed me to take courses that usually required it to be my specific major to take. Had to carry own my own research beyond that but it's a bit easier than you may think to keep abreast of scientific breakthroughs after being taught how to go about researching it. So maybe access to those classes isn't as important as we may think aside from becoming a professor.

But oh damn, I did specifically pair the word scientific with the word hypothesis and the marriage of the two terms does require testability. What I meant to say in shorthand was that it is a valid hypothesis that is not an affront to science.

You may recall my correct use of the term theory before.

Furthermore, you said earlier that you believe you see evidence of design in the world. I'm curious as to what this evidence would be.
In the world? Not particularly, in the universe I believe the laws and principles governing the universe appear to be orderly enough to allow for life whereas I'd expect a random non-designed offshoot to be far more chaotic. As I said above, Einstein marveled at this as well. Great atheistic minds of pondered over the notion of order in the universe as uniquely interesting while still not taking the step in to Theism

But the world itself? There's some criticisms I find interesting regarding abiogensis and certain environmental requirements that imposes but I have no problem accepting the plausibility of it. There's also no reason that the problem of abiogensis would necessarily mean therefore the Earth has its own personal deity when the base genetic material could have arrived here through some natural means and evolved from there (panspermia if you're looking for the theory name). I give panspermia a higher likelihood due to the estimated amount of time it would take for even one useful protein to be randomly created. The time is longer than our planet would have had to make multiple ones. If that is the case and it did come from elsewhere then that would be very exciting.

But that just punts the ball elsewhere. I simply don't know. Everything I've studied indicates that there's a lot of gaps in our understanding that means we can't really explain it happening here "easily". But the universe is a big friggen place and the world is by no means a closed system. Especially not prior to our atmosphere.

Also, you keep using "cause", "creator" and "designer" interchangeably. These are not the same thing. Asking me if I believe the universe had a creator is not the same as asking me whether of not I think the universe had a cause, and vice versa. You argue for design in the universe, but posit a creator that isn't necessarily a designer.
Again, the Atheist position must maintain that the universe has always existed or came into existed spontaneously. I am espousing something from something here. I strongly suspect sentience but I can't intellectually rule out an accidental cause either like two insanely massive black holes beyond anything in our current universe colliding and going boom. I only suspect it isn't random and that there are most definitely rules designing how the universe is governed. But I'm not going to lie and tell you that the nature of a cause beyond our knowledge could not have, for some reason, also imposed these rules too. I simply don't know. Maybe it was a space elephant taking a dump. Couldn't rightly call it a designer and wouldn't necessarily call it a creator so much as an incubator and cause.

So I'm using these terms interchangeably because I know nothing specifically about said being. I've been very clear on this point.

All I'm forcing on your side of the argument are the things that you yourself would have to concede have to be there for any discussion of an intelligent designer to make any sense; a measure of intelligence, a measure of creativity (and creativity implies the ability to hold subjective opinions, so at least sentience as well),and some power to put those to work.
It only requires ability. Nothing more. That I believe the universe to be remarkably orderly is what requires a degree of intelligence. But even then, life could potentially have been an unintended consequence. A glitch even, if we go with the software bit.

Now, I dont know to what extent you believe design applies to the animal kingdom, which would be where the preponderance of my knowledge lies, but simply "bad design" or "unknown end-goal" aren't enough to explain away some of these things that make perfect sense in light of evolution, but no sense at all from a design perspective.
The example freshest in memory would be the recurrent laryngeal nerve in mammals (recently watched a video with Dawkins present at the dissection a giraffe), a legacy from a fish-like ancestor that now manifests as a nerve that makes nonsensical detours (several meters in giraffes) despite the starting point and end point being mere centimeters from each other. Another example would be egg-laying in worker ants, where worker ants away from the pheromonal influence of the queen might lay eggs themselves. These eggs are either non-embryonated and therefore only good for eating (at a net loss in energy), or they hatch into males, who are useless unless it's swarming season ( I'm not even sure these males are fertile, so they might be entirely useless.) The bottom line is that this makes sense if the ants evolved from a previous incarnation of hymenopterans who had not yet become eusocial and made kin selection their modus operandi, but no sense at all if a designer is assumed. Further examples would be external genitalia in human males, leg bones in both whales and snakes, and my own upper right third molar, well on its way to being impacted.
I'm not saying these specific things disprove a creator, but I would argue that they point straight away from a designer.
... are you asking if I believe in Evolution? Yes, I believe in evolution.

Still seems like you're trying to debate a Christian God or specific religious deity with me. I am purely interested in discussing scientifically relevant components of this. I am well versed enough in theology and apologetics that I could give you scriptural workarounds to allow for evolution (for example, Genesis states that in the beginning God created the heavens and the Earth. That the earth was void (aka desolate) as He hovered over the surface of the waters which indicates it already existed in some form. This is before the first day of creation and could easily allow for life existing previously but having been wiped out. His work could then be getting everything back to how it would have been had something not wiped everything out.)

But this is completely conjecture and regarding a religion I am not defending here. I fully accept that belief in that religion is absolutely faith-based to the nth degree. I'm not going to logically debate something I know to be illogical.

Fair enough. That comment sounded a bit too much like strawman-abiogenesis+evolution.("pond scum was hit by lightning, and then a rock made a spider out of nothing.")
Yeah, I am very interested in abiogenesis as a subject but I think it's fairly scientifically provable that it could happen randomly given the right conditions and enough time. So I'm not interested in it to disprove or prove a creator. That life can exist only points to the idea of a stable environment. Not necessarily that God reached down and hand-molded Adam's belly button.

I apologize but as long as you keep thinking of my argument in terms of a religious or personal God then we'll keep talking past each other. Simply isn't my argument here. My argument is about the plausibility of something creating the universe and the rules therein and nothing else. Literally could never have touched the universe again.

I'm unconvinced this reversal is valid. Everytime science progressed and explored a supposed gap wherein God might have resided, it found mere nature there waiting. So experience, one might assert, favours the "no God in the Gap" position. Now, I will concede that physics is not my forte, and, as you put it, you more than likely have me at a disadvantage there. However, spending time around people whose forte is physics has at least taught me that intuitiveness is not a requirement, and counterintuitiveness is not an obstacle. we are medium-sized objects moving at medium speed. We are cerebrally ill-equipped to deal with things that are extremely large, extremely small, moving extremely fast or otherwhise operating at extremes. I regularly hear about multiple particles occupying the exact same space, particles that temporarily are three particles, particles that may or may not be travelling in time, particles that seem to be teleporting and particles reacting to eachother with no discernible connection. This all sounds like sorcery to me, but I must assume that such observations have some validity to them, or else science would throw the idea of them out. Sufficiently analyzed magic.
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here? Are you disagreeing with me here somehow by pointing out cool interactions we've begun to be able to observe recently or ideas that math apparently points to?

One thing that I find disappointing is that some scientific explanations for things is that it's random when we may just not know why something is happening. I've seen honest to goodness physicists talking about randomness in quantum mechanics as if they can literally prove that something is happening for no reason at all rather than a force or cause we just haven't figured out yet just like all other results we've ever observed in the history of our ability to observe, ever. Since when has it ever been scientifically acceptable to say, "X happens because NOTHING"? It's usually just that X happens, now why does X happen?

I am incredibly suspicious of motivations to do this in this circumstance.

Well, I get what you mean because it's not the first time it's been misused in the exact same way. The X-men movies, Jekyll, Heroes and the afore-mentioned Godzilla all go with the "evolution is a ladder, and here's what's on a few rungs above people" (ok, maybe not Godzilla, there it's just technobabble for why there's Godzilla now). Also, plenty of creatures have capabilities far beyond us. Our only real claims to fame are our brains and our upright stature and opposable thumbs, meaning we have gripping hands on limbs we don't need to use for walking. Granted, these claims to fame have gotten us all the way to where we are now, but creatures with "superhuman" capabilities are all around us.

The reason our traits aren't greater than they are is that they don't have to be. Our environment don't kill us if they aren't. Our intelligent, pattern-seeking, curious minds helped us excert influence on the world around us by means other than superior physical strength, speed and agility. And I'm racking my brain trying to think of a way that such a being as you propose could evolve, but the only way I can think of it being achieved would be by cybernetics and gene-manipulation.

Also, you'll be interested to know there are creatures who can survive in space. Google "tardigrade".
I don't really disagree with anything you're saying. But how would you say what I was trying to say in an equally succinct manner? Keep in mind that the entire point of language is to convey a concept accurately and quickly so if you knew what I meant originally then to debate it would just be a semantic endeavor unless there's an equally apt term for a species that have immense advantages that are potentially magical in appearance without explanation beyond our own abilities. That they have evolved in a far superior way to us. Such as, the X-men.

I agree whole-heartedly about the stem cell thing. I do, however, disagree as to whether or not theyre still a threat. It is precisely because they have sway in certain social issues that they are dangerous. Gay marriage would be a no- brainer without their influence.
Marriage, being a religious and cultural term, could run into problems even without religious individuals.

Abortion would still be seriously discussed, but the debate would be nowhere near as infected.
It is interesting to see atheist pro-lifers debate. I find the philosophical point that a fetus is both biologically living and genetically human to have interesting implications. I generally avoid this topic though as, like you said, a serious discussion is impossible.

Abstincence Only would be a sex-ed policy exactly nowhere.
Actually, it would probably be healthy to impose abstinence to a certain age level. But yes, in the absence of an Augustinian centered moral system then sex wouldn't be as big of an issue. Ever seen the South Park episode with two science based "religions" duking it out in the distant future? People are just dicks who want to impose their own beliefs on others. We really are. It's most evident when we're anonymous or when we have actual power.

I'll point out that every action is a moral action. From murder to theft to incest, whether or not we find it bad is purely culturally based. It is literally subjective. I'm sorry, but it is. Religion is just the formalization of one group's moral standards. You aren't empirically just in demonizing any other group's standards. You are just subjectively just. Even murder isn't "empirically" wrong. Nothing is. In this way, our laws are a current form of "religious morality" with the authority being force instead of deity.

And furthermore, they don't stay the hell out of science; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMzW813WJ1c . Texas Board of Education trying to "deal blows" to the teaching of evolution in science class. Not pictured is the part where they're also trying to revise history by downplaying Paine and Lincoln, and up-playing Jefferson Davies. Also downplaying slavery and up-playing the influence of religious faith on the founding fathers, and spinning some yarn about the USA being founded as a religious utopia. Summa Summarum; they want to downplay science and reason, and up-play religious and nationalistic fervor. I'm not even American, but this level of organized, politiziced, intentional sowing of ignorance in what is supposed to be a First World country frankly makes me afraid for the future.
Oh, I forgot the evolution bit. But I still learned evolution in school with no reference to creationism and I'm in the South. Though, as stated, I still took the more advanced classes so I'm not sure what the regular classes would have contained. But sure, they should accept that their belief in religion is faith-based and not science bas

Of course these are individuals. But at what point do they stop being individuals and become groups? I get that loudmouthed crazies get the bulk of the attention, I get that the Westboro Baptist Church isn't a portrait of Republican America. But if the crazy wasn't widespread, then there wouldn't be a market for megachurches, Ken Ham would be a used car salesman, Kent Hovind would be in jail (oh, wait...) and millions upon millions of tax-reduced donation-dollars wouldn't be in the hands of people who think the world is younger than its oldest tree.
You are ultimately rationalizing stereotyping and prejudice. How do you not see this as the same as racist and sexist bigotry derived from the negative interactions you've had with the idiots? I get that you're upset with the way things are going but don't stoop to such a level as stereotyping. Have you gathered from me that I want any ill towards you? That I want you to somehow shut up or that I think you're an idiot? That I think you have to believe everything I believe or even part of it?

I don't. I'm just genuinely enjoying a discussion with someone who has different perspectives on it. Believe it or not, but there's a lot of people like me. People who are actively leaving the establishment because they see the hypocrisy and corruption within the institution of church (a two hour show in which a guy tries to get money from dummies) while maintaining faith themselves. What you're seeing most of the time are the people who haven't. I personally wish you the best life possible and have loved talking with you. Were we in town I'd buy you a beer or whatever your drink of choice is and we could be good friends. Namely because as I prefaced it, I'm not a dick about it. Golden rule being what it is. What you have to fear are people who aren't following the faith properly. Not those who follow it earnestly. The right ones are the ones who would go out of our way to help you, not hinder you.

I say this, and it sounds all hippy-dippy. But the New Testament basically only has two commandments. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, Love others as you love yourself. People who would seek to treat you badly or force you to behave like them aren't treating you like they'd want to be treated.

Honestly, it's years of history as a tool that governments have abused to suit their needs that has made it into a manipulative tool. But I assure you, there are those of us who are leaving the traditional church in droves out of disgust for these reasons and are following the faith in our homes amongst friends in a way it was intended to be done. I am truly apologetic for anyone who walks into a church service nowadays who isn't a Christian. I don't know what their game is besides making money but it's a huge problem in my eyes.

But what I suspect is that the real danger is complacency. Suppose you identify as a christian of some stripe, more culturally than in actual faith. You've been brought up to believe that Jesus taught love and peace and all that, and that you're onboard with that, but you're more concerned with everyday life than spiritual woowoo. Then you come across spirited preacher du jour, through your media of choice. You feel connected to them through your faith and for a small payment you get the feelgood of having contributed to the nondescript spreading of the word of Jesus. Only, depending on who said preacher was, you might well have contributed to the teaching of nonsense in science classes, or maybe an amusement park full of dinosaurs and ignorance, or why not a campaign against condoms in aids-riddled Africa? I'm not trying to say that all christian charities are terrible charlatans or fundamentalist nutjobs, but I'm saying that faith is an easy way to score points among people not looking too closely.
Ok, something you've got to understand about me is that I study things relentlessly. I pull things apart and figure out what makes them tick. Tithing is technically not a new testament (aka Christian) doctrine. It was a tradition in the Jewish faith in which 1 tribe of Israel was set apart to be part of the priesthood (Levites). The tithe was 1/10th of your resources because out of the original 12 tribes of Israel, only 10 remained. The 10% was to fund the people who were not supposed to do any work. Contrast this with the New Testament in which Paul (known to be in the tent making business to fund his ministry) actually told others to get a job so they wouldn't have to rely on their congregation for money. People gave to the early church because the early church provided food and shelter for its members on a daily business.

I'll repeat that, the original church where people were donating huge amounts to was feeding and providing shelter for any members in need every single day.

That's why people donated. Not to fund some "pastor's" Starbucks coffee and keep them in a new house. Hell, some people donated everything they had because they knew they'd be provided for.

My, how times have changed. I'd encourage a complete blackout of contributing to these overt attempts to take advantage of naive Christians. You'd be better off giving the money directly to a charity you believe in if you're interested in committing money to God.

For example, I have friends and family who need things. I am extremely generous with what I have and will go out of my way to assist them. If I catch wind of someone needing help (like elderly people) then I will go out and do the work and pay for the materials.

I mean, seriously, it doesn't have to be difficult. What you have essentially seen is people using Christianity as a weapon and a snake oil salespitch. Please don't confuse the actions of the evil or gullible for what the faith was supposed to be. Christianity as it has become in the public eye is a good example of how mankind will corrupt anything if it will benefit them. We are evolved to be opportunistic.

Church, as I believe in it, is intended to be a meeting of believers and non-believers (Paul gave explicit instructions on not pulling crazy shenanigans if non-believers were in the meeting or else they'd think you're crazy). Breaking bread (literal food, not wafers) and having a group discussion.

Community. Frankly, practiced properly, it'd be something non-Christians should be attracted to just for the community even if they never convert. The modern institutional church has become a two hour show in which one guy tells you to pay him for that show. Only it isn't paying him, it's being a good little Christian and giving to the "house of the Lord". Which is true, if he's claiming to be the Lord. The position of Pastor in the modern church has robbed Christianity of community and even charity. They'll do small things here and there but so much money is spent on a needless temple and on staff salaries when that was never supposed to be a thing. The only reason we have pastors is because we spent nearly 2,000 years where most people couldn't read scriptures (both because of the language they were written in or because illiteracy was common) and so there was only one or two people in a region that could tell them what they said. So the mini-pope pastor/priesthood setup was born rather than a bunch of believers gathering together and talking to one another about their problems and their faith.

Trust me, many of us are aware of the double standards and hypocrisy plaguing the faith. Many of us know our shit stinks just as much as anyone else. Many of us know that Christianity is about community and love in service to God. Not legislating our morals to force on others.

I am truly sorry that you have faced extreme ignorance and even bigotry in the name of my faith. But please understand #notallChristians. I'm not saying I'm perfect. But I am honest and willing to acknowledge what's right and what's wrong. There was a time when Christians were commanded to confess sins to one another (not priests, mind you). When we were supposed to be open with others that we're humans too and struggle with things like everyone else. There was a time when actual humility was important.

But apparently now it's all about pretending like you're perfect and looking down pridefully at non-Christians and struggling Christians. Until the church becomes a safe and accepting place for sinners and real community then numbers will continue to dwindle. Because what worth is it if it's all just a fake show none of us want to go to that we have to pay for or feel guilty?

I'd be glad to leave these groups to their fables. If they were satisfied with getting together every sunday to chat about whatever one might chat about in such a situation, and then go home and be done about it. But when they step out of their world and into mine, I expect them to adhere to secular rules agreed upon by people of a multitude of colors, sexes, sexualities, faiths, non-faiths, economic situations and political views. They will have what consideration is due them as members of a larger society, no more.
I completely understand. I'd hate to be coerced into doing things or not doing things by assholes who don't have any business controlling me.

I get that entirely and am not that kind of person. My only point here is that America has really cheap grace. What I mean by that, is that it's a societal norm for people to be Christians here in America. Honestly, you're even looked oddly at if you aren't a believer still. So we've got a culture of Christianity in a lot of places.

I'd say you're facing most of your problems from the culture of Christianity and not the faith of Christianity, if I may make that distinction. People who mindlessly follow what people tell them or what the loudmouths are doing without any respect for the faith itself. There's a massive pooling of ignorance.

Honestly, I sort of hope the culture breaks down. I want people who are Christians to be the people who are Christians because they honestly considered what it means and decided to be it. That's the only way we're going to return to community and integrity.

If you learn anything from me here, I hope it's that some Christians get it. That we talk about these issues amongst each other and recognize the problem. We try to actively dispel them. But with pseudo groups like Fox News and its adherents getting their voice heard it's a damn hard bridge to cross.

But according to our faith, if they know not love, they aren't one of us. They're in for a rude awakening if our eschatology has anything to say about it.

I'll admit that I associate the idea of a creator with some rather dangerous and repulsive ideas and ideals. But more important to me is what really happened and what we might learn from it. In short, I care about what is true, just as you say: "if there's truth, it's ours".
Exactly, as rational scientific minded people we need to be able to look past our biases to take a fresh look for the truth. I get the concern that acknowledging a creator may make Christians think they're right. But they already think they're right and we should not be concerned with what negative impacts the truth will have. Only the truth should be relevant to science. Not what we want truth to be or the implications of it.

I think that assigning a mind to the beginning of the universe is still an anthropomorphism, and I think speculation as to what may exist outside our universe is best left to when we have anything to go by with regards to that, and all else must fall to Hitchen's Razor. Ultimately, The world does not owe us an explanation, nor does it care if we get one. And there is a stark beauty in that.
Bringing up Hitchen's Razor back peddals beyond the entire argument I've been making.

Claiming that there is no God is the same as claiming that there is a God. The only difference being that the negative can NEVER be proven whereas the positive can. I believe that I have presented reasonable explanations for why I strongly suspect our universe's existence to have been created rather than not-created. I believe my reasoning to be more firm than claims that it simply exists for no reason or by no cause. I've shown that we ourselves are on a trajectory to create our own sentient capable universes and so it is not unlikely that we ourselves were created too. I in no way came to this conclusion based on my Faith. I know it's difficult to explain, but I would have been equally ok with stating that I intellectually an agnostic/atheist as I am with saying that I am intellectually on the believing a creator was likely involved in the universe's existence (albeit still intellectually agnostic due to the lack of a smoking gun to allow me to say "I know" rather than "highly suspect"). But science has shown me vast seas of cause and effect that leads me to believe our matter and energy could not have existed without something existing before those principles prohibited their creation. That our universe is not so random as to prohibit human life is remarkably stable. That we can know and rely on our principles lends credence to the idea of design rather than pure randomness.

Has this discussion made you more open to the idea that there may really have been a creator? Hopefully I have sufficiently divorced the idea that said creator would necessarily have been the God of any human religion. I know the conflict between religion and science has seriously colored the view of a creator in the eyes of the scientific community. I get that. But also recall that an extreme majority of scientific advancements were achieved by religious minded individuals who devoted their lives to studying scripture and ended up studying other things too. Perhaps I would have been one of those monks performing gene studies on plants or Galileo recognizing that the Earth isn't even the center of the solar system, let alone universe.

Did not know about the history of marriage licenses in the US. That is interesting. We have something similar here, but we are also one of the most secular countries in the world, so religious influence is pretty subdued and is basically sitting in the corner sulking about it. Also: http://www.godhatestheworld.com/sweden/filthymanneroflife.html .
I consider being hated by the late Phelps a definite sign that we're doing something right here. His butthurt is delicious. Furthermore, all the lovey-dovey rituals and vows of love, support and fidelity aside, marriage is nowadays primarily a legal document of having a joint household, not so the government can give it a stamp of approval one way or the other, but rather as a shorthand in matters of inheritance, representation and taxation. As such, the genders and sexuality of those involved is entirely irrelevant.
Sure, it isn't specifically about the religious practice anymore (though it was for about 1,000 years or more) but because it still gives rights to individuals it has taken a form of control over marriage and relationships in ways that are seen religiously and culturally oppressive.

If only to break the association and further the cause of separation of church and state, I would promote the idea that a "marriage certificate" be renamed as something else to avoid confusion the term may cause.

Personally, I find the "civil union" substitution to be insulting in the other direction: it seems to be saying "ok, you gays get some rights, but you're not married for realsies because gay!". Either way someone is going to get overruled, and I'd much sooner grant rights to people who should have them than I'd withold rights from the same group because another group feels it would cheapen their having those same rights.
Eh, me bringing up the successful implementation of civil unions as a compromise wasn't to say they are a good thing. It was to express the notion that all this hubbub is because the term "marriage" actually means something to these people. They think, erroneously or not, that any change made to the marriage license is the government trying to legislate a change on their religious and cultural heritage. In short, they view it as unfair control and legislation by the government.

What I advocate isn't for civil unions or marriage certificates. I advocate for the abolishment of either of those forms in favor of a generic union. Companies already enter and leave financial unions with eachother all the time. Why shouldn't you be able to join your finances with whomever you want even if your relationship isn't romantic? If you've lived as an adult with your brother for five years why shouldn't the two of you have been able to file taxes jointly since you're both spending resources on the same household anyways?

The government should have no say in who can join such a union except where the ability of either party to legally consent is in question. The government should only be able to process and enforce the contract that was made. That's what governments are good for, contract enforcement (and other things, of course, like protection). Not being a moral grounds keeper or some nonsense.

The financial union and the benefits like visitation rights that come with it should be open to everyone. Not even tied to romantic relationships in my opinion. I am open to the idea of putting rules in place to prevent people from gaming the system. But we'd have to find the loopholes to know which ones to close. It's not like people aren't currently married for tax reasons anyways.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I have fully updated and finished the above post. This post is generate a subscription PM for anyone following this post and to inform any readers here of the edit.

This topic has been absolutely fascinating. To think that mockery was the cause of this thread.

Ingjald

Nov 17, 2009
Apologies for the delay. Real life's been keeping me busy.

Lightknight said:
Is it a video on creation of the universe or merely Earth creation? If it's Earth creationism then I'd just spend the entire video discussing fossils. "And this is the fossil of a 500 million year-old Trilobite." Then I'd drop the mike and walk away whilst hugging my fossil collection.
I'd like to extend my thanks and a cookie for giving me that mental image.

And no, it's mostly countering the design claims using geology and biology, so it's moot for this discussion since you don't believe the design you believe in apply to those. Still, good videos.

The "something" is left to account for a non-sentient creature that created the universe either unintentionally or as the consequence of some other intended action or nature of it (like a mostly mechanical non-sentient robot or program that was itself just built to design worlds).
Being non-sentient would rob this suggested creature of any ability to do anything intentionally, anything it did would be unintended. It would basically be the equivalent of a plant, at most. And certainly incapable of providing the design you believe you see.

edit: goats are sentient. Sentience is the ability to make a judgement, to experience subjectivity. A goat can decide that it prefers the shade on a hot day, or that it prefers one food type over another. What it lacks is sapience. Life but non-sentience would be a plant or a fungus.

Again, the Atheist position must maintain that the universe has always existed or came into existed spontaneously. I am espousing something from something here. I strongly suspect sentience but I can't intellectually rule out an accidental cause either like two insanely massive black holes beyond anything in our current universe colliding and going boom. I only suspect it isn't random and that there are most definitely rules designing how the universe is governed. But I'm not going to lie and tell you that the nature of a cause beyond our knowledge could not have, for some reason, also imposed these rules too. I simply don't know. Maybe it was a space elephant taking a dump. Couldn't rightly call it a designer and wouldn't necessarily call it a creator so much as an incubator and cause.

So I'm using these terms interchangeably because I know nothing specifically about said being. I've been very clear on this point.
You're espousing something from something, yet critisizing Krauss for doing the same (I've read the book now.)? Admittedly, the title of the book is indeed misleading, but his ideas at least has the merit of involving very elementary elements. Admittedly, I don't understand how empty space can contain energy, any more than I understand how space can be curved, but both of these are apparently accepted as true. And if literal nothingness is as unstable as the book suggests, then Krauss has a point in suggesting that the question "why is there something and not nothing" may be that it's a false choice, and that nothing wasn't really an option, so to speak.

Using terms that mean different things interchangably makes your position seem fluid. You say "the universe had a cause" and I agree. Interchange with "designer" and it's a whole other question, to which I don't agree. You seem to be going for humility and open-mindedness, which is all well and good, but it's very hard to argue against a seemingly shifting position.

I think this might be the reason we're talking past each other; we have differing ideas of what constitutes a creator/designer/cause. I stopped arguing against religious deities when you suggested we divorce the two (well, the discussion kind of split in two, but still), but I still think that "creator" and "designer" implies certain properties, which are what I'm arguing against.

It only requires ability. Nothing more. That I believe the universe to be remarkably orderly is what requires a degree of intelligence. But even then, life could potentially have been an unintended consequence. A glitch even, if we go with the software bit.
"the only thing necessary to create the universe is the ability to create the universe" has the distinct odour of a tautology, and also seems to me to make as much sense as saying "the only thing required to walk across this room is the ability to walk across this room, nothing more" when challenged on whether the walker in question had legs.

And seeing patterns and order around us is what we do. It's what our hunter-gatherer brains are best at, and it easily backfires on us. For instance when our brains percieve a pattern and assumes the pattern originated in a brain, an assumption that sometimes serves us well, and sometimes not.

... are you asking if I believe in Evolution? Yes, I believe in evolution. [/unquote]

You suggested design without any real clarification, so you'll have to forgive the preemptive broadside. As I said, biology is probably the science I'm most passionate about, and evolution is sort of fundamental to it, as well as one of the most frequent targets of the faithful.

I don't really disagree with anything you're saying. But how would you say what I was trying to say in an equally succinct manner? Keep in mind that the entire point of language is to convey a concept accurately and quickly so if you knew what I meant originally then to debate it would just be a semantic endeavor unless there's an equally apt term for a species that have immense advantages that are potentially magical in appearance without explanation beyond our own abilities. That they have evolved in a far superior way to us. Such as, the X-men.
Touching on the quotes I brought up before, I'm a big fan of the term "sufficiently advanced"; it conveys the same general idea without misapplying a previously established concept. It can apply to any number of manners in which one might be advanced, and is limited to none of them. Not merely technological advancement, but biological as well; different advances complement each other. For instance, I can't think of a way that the natural radio communication you suggested earlier could evolve naturally (what environment would necessitate it?), but I can imagine the same creature having access to "sufficiently advanced" biological engineering to make such an organ for itself. But such technical advancement would only come as a consequence of high intelligence, which itself would be a consequence of "sufficiently advanced" biology. Advancement, so to speak, is cumulative.

Note also that when I say "advanced" I don't mean "advanced along a linear path", but rather "advanced in a a particular aspect or niche".

Actually, it would probably be healthy to impose abstinence to a certain age level. But yes, in the absence of an Augustinian centered moral system then sex wouldn't be as big of an issue. Ever seen the South Park episode with two science based "religions" duking it out in the distant future? People are just dicks who want to impose their own beliefs on others. We really are. It's most evident when we're anonymous or when we have actual power.

I'll point out that every action is a moral action. From murder to theft to incest, whether or not we find it bad is purely culturally based. It is literally subjective. I'm sorry, but it is. Religion is just the formalization of one group's moral standards. You aren't empirically just in demonizing any other group's standards. You are just subjectively just. Even murder isn't "empirically" wrong. Nothing is. In this way, our laws are a current form of "religious morality" with the authority being force instead of deity.

On the first point, the "only" was a significant part of my objection. Abstinence isn't wrong in itself, and should, as you say, probably be encouraged to some extent. However one of the quirky consequences of our evolution is that we reach reproductive age before reaching adulthood. In essence, to use the figurative handing of a loaded gun to a kid; this is a loaded gun they will be handed regardless, and all anyone else can do is damage control. Or they can object to damage control on moral grounds, with predictable results.

On the second point, you're right. Even if there is evidence suggesting that we have an innate revulsion to incest (blah blah pheromones etc.), it's not something that can't be overcome if you're determined enough. However, I don't think there has been any successful societies in which murder (as in "intentional unprovoked killing of an in-group member") has been considered legal and acceptable. the same goes for theft and rape. General lying isn't usually so strongly objected to as to have it be illegal, but liars are seldom held in high regard. This isn't to say these things are empirically wrong, but empirical data suggests that these things impede human cooperation, and since cooperation is one of our greatest strengths and the very basis on which a society is founded, such things have been selected against, and aversion to such things has been selected for on both the group level and the individual level. Therefore, while force may be how our laws are upheld, I'd say the general consensus among the members of our society is the authority upon which it rests. And since it must apply to people of all faiths and none, it may be called morality, but it's not itself religious.

Religion, however, likes to take credit for morality it has adopted, and claim it invented it. How many times hasn't it been claimed that "the golden rule" is a christian invention? It's probably the best short-hand rule for ethical behaviour in existence, and has appeared in nearly every ethical system ever deviced. On that note; it's curious to find a christian arguing for moral relativity. The argument usually goes that without God as a standard for objective morality, anything goes. Therefore, atheists either A: should admit that they have morality and therefore God exists and then stop being atheists, or B: admit that they don't have a divine moral compass, and the argument that usually follows that involves atheists not being able to condemn Hitler and his actions. Aren't false dichotomies fun?

Ok, something you've got to understand about me is that I study things relentlessly. I pull things apart and figure out what makes them tick.
An admirable trait, and one that I share. At least the first part. Unless it was figurative, in which case that too.

Tithing is technically not a new testament (aka Christian) doctrine. It was a tradition in the Jewish faith in which 1 tribe of Israel was set apart to be part of the priesthood (Levites). The tithe was 1/10th of your resources because out of the original 12 tribes of Israel, only 10 remained. The 10% was to fund the people who were not supposed to do any work. Contrast this with the New Testament in which Paul (known to be in the tent making business to fund his ministry) actually told others to get a job so they wouldn't have to rely on their congregation for money. People gave to the early church because the early church provided food and shelter for its members on a daily business.

I'll repeat that, the original church where people were donating huge amounts to was feeding and providing shelter for any members in need every single day.
Huh. Did not know. I'll admit, I thought tithing was a medieval-ish invention for keeping and maintaining the growing number of large cathedrals and churches and keep the coffers filled. But it seems it actually started out as a somewhat noble endeavour. huh.

Also, don't tell the republicans. This reeks of dem ebil socialists!

You are ultimately rationalizing stereotyping and prejudice. How do you not see this as the same as racist and sexist bigotry derived from the negative interactions you've had with the idiots? I get that you're upset with the way things are going but don't stoop to such a level as stereotyping. Have you gathered from me that I want any ill towards you? That I want you to somehow shut up or that I think you're an idiot? That I think you have to believe everything I believe or even part of it?
You are not born with religion. You can leave a religion. If you are particularly unlucky, your immediate family might decide to murder or disown you if you do, but still. You can not leave your skin colour, your gender or you sexual preference. A more apt paralell, I think, would be political views. And people have to defend their political views. Only most people don't take criticism of their political viewpoints quite so emotionally as do the faithful of their faith.

And no, I hope you don't think that I'm an idiot, or I've been doing a very bad job here. As much as I hate pulling the "you're one of the good ones" line, the fact of the matter is that you're the first believer who's been able to keep a civil level of discussion. For comparison, in the last encounter I had with a christian, he was attempting to discredit Dawkins by suggesting he has autism. Seeing as I'm autistic myself, as well as an atheist, you can see how this is doubly insulting. Stepping in and explaining how insulting he was being, instead of offering apology, he decided to dismiss me because "that's just your autism speaking." You worried about insulting me earlier. This here is roughly the level you'd need to be operating on for that to happen.

Even worse; this person prefaced his name with "Dr.".

I personally wish you the best life possible and have loved talking with you. Were we in town I'd buy you a beer or whatever your drink of choice is and we could be good friends. Namely because as I prefaced it, I'm not a dick about it. Golden rule being what it is. What you have to fear are people who aren't following the faith properly. Not those who follow it earnestly. The right ones are the ones who would go out of our way to help you, not hinder you.
Likewhise, though for a debate such as this, Lagavulin Single Malt seems appropriate. I think the greatest error Hitchens ever made was prefering Blended to Single Malt. XD

The Golden Rule is great. If there ever was one short rule on ethics, that would be it.

And forgive me for adding some bitterness to such a sweet notion, but it must be said. It cannot be up to the unbelievers to determine who is and is not following the faith correctly.

I can make a judgement on who is and is not a good person based on things unrelated to their faith. But if the pope says homosexuals are going to burn in hell for being gay, who am I to say he's doing christianity wrong? I can say he's doing "being a good person" wrong, but that's beside the point. I would love to believe that people doing good are good and people doing bad things are just doing it wrong, but I can't seem to shake the idea that if both sides can cite chapter and verse in justification for their side, then maybe the book itself isn't a great source of morality.

And in reading the book myself, even skipping the old testament (Leviticus is gold for biblical lunacy.) in its omnicidal glory, I find that the man who is supposed to be the paragon of goodness and virtue preaches forgiveness one moment, and threaten hellfire for unbelief the next, and Yahweh himself can't help you if you're a fig tree out of season, or a bunch of pigs. And also, isn't ancient prophecy very easy to fulfill if you know it beforehand, and it's really pedestrian?

"they say the Messiah is to enter Jerusalem on a donkey. you guys go ahead and fetch one for me".

Ultimately, interpretations of the biblical Jesus range from "your pal Jesus who's fun to be with" to "stern moral teacher" all the way up to "divine conqueror" and "doomsday prophet". Who is wrong, and how do I tell?

Community. Frankly, practiced properly, it'd be something non-Christians should be attracted to just for the community even if they never convert. The modern institutional church has become a two hour show in which one guy tells you to pay him for that show. Only it isn't paying him, it's being a good little Christian and giving to the "house of the Lord". Which is true, if he's claiming to be the Lord. The position of Pastor in the modern church has robbed Christianity of community and even charity. They'll do small things here and there but so much money is spent on a needless temple and on staff salaries when that was never supposed to be a thing. The only reason we have pastors is because we spent nearly 2,000 years where most people couldn't read scriptures (both because of the language they were written in or because illiteracy was common) and so there was only one or two people in a region that could tell them what they said. So the mini-pope pastor/priesthood setup was born rather than a bunch of believers gathering together and talking to one another about their problems and their faith.
If there was one aspect I might be jealous of in the faithful, the sense of community would be it. Once, in 11th grade, I actually attended a supposedly interfaith-y group meeting thing the school had as an extracurricular activity. It's very hard to get a meaningful discussion when a full hour meeting consisted of "what would Jesus eat/say/do" interspersed with prayer. Few things are more awkward than being the sole unbeliever in a room with 8 praying christians.

Has this discussion made you more open to the idea that there may really have been a creator? Hopefully I have sufficiently divorced the idea that said creator would necessarily have been the God of any human religion. I know the conflict between religion and science has seriously colored the view of a creator in the eyes of the scientific community. I get that. But also recall that an extreme majority of scientific advancements were achieved by religious minded individuals who devoted their lives to studying scripture and ended up studying other things too. Perhaps I would have been one of those monks performing gene studies on plants or Galileo recognizing that the Earth isn't even the center of the solar system, let alone universe.
To be perfectly honest, no more than before. It's an interesting thought experiment, but I really do believe the idea falls short of being more reasonable than not, even if you divorce it from the funny religious colourings.

And it's not too strange that lot's of scientific discoveries were made by the religious of old; a literate (and probably bored) upper class with secured income and lots and lots of disposable free time vs. an illiterate peasantry who spent most of their waking hours working on farms. This model would generate the same outcome regardless of whether the mentioned upper class was religious or secular.

You're right, not all the clergy were high-ranking clergy, but the clergy is still technically upper class. Perhaps "upkeep" is a more apropriate term than "income" for the lower rungs. But I'd argue that the people joining the church to study, while more than likely being believeing christians, probably would have joined universities instead if those were a thing yet in western civilizaton.

But apparently now it's all about pretending like you're perfect and looking down pridefully at non-Christians and struggling Christians.
This one, however, is old. The jewish expression for failing at it is, I believe "shame before the goyim/gentiles". That is, pretend to be perfect, or you'll look bad before the people you consider yourself superior to, and then they won't think that your superiority comes from the in-group you belong to.

I say this, and it sounds all hippy-dippy. But the New Testament basically only has two commandments. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, Love others as you love yourself.
I seem to remember Jesus saying something about the old law still being binding. Something about heaven and earth both passing away before the smallest bit ot the law changes.

Even still, the first one of those is somewhat iffy as a moral imperative (compulsory love of someone who you should also fear), and the second one sounds like it's promoting empathy, but the scale it suggests takes it into masochistich self-debasement.

Claiming that there is no God is the same as claiming that there is a God. The only difference being that the negative can NEVER be proven whereas the positive can. I believe that I have presented reasonable explanations for why I strongly suspect our universe's existence to have been created rather than not-created.
Again, most atheists don't make the claim that there is no god, in the sense that they know it. They merely don't believe there is one based on the lack of evidence. Why do you dimiss the 6 on Dawkins scale as not being atheists? I guess that if you're splitting hairs, they're/we're technically agnostic, but that does not exclude some pretty heavy leanings in one direction. It's like saying the 2 isn't really a theist unless they make the equivalent claim of knowing that God exists.

The negative has the problem of never being positively provable. The positive claim has the problem of not being testable, and is therefore unfalsifiable. The latter is the greater problem.

"No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong."
-Einsten

I believe that I have presented reasonable explanations for why I strongly suspect our universe's existence to have been created rather than not-created. I believe my reasoning to be more firm than claims that it simply exists for no reason or by no cause.
Adamant in using disimiliar terms interchangably, I see.

I've shown that we ourselves are on a trajectory to create our own sentient capable universes and so it is not unlikely that we ourselves were created too.
This you have not shown, this you have asserted. I'll grant that true AI is a fascinating possibility in the future, but your claim that video games constitute universes does not appear valid. They are ultimately visual and auditory representations of underlying code based on input we give it. It can do some very impressive things (I too am dying to play No Man's Sky), but it's not a universe in the sense we're discussing. It's a universe in the sense a fictional world is a universe.

Hooking up a hypothetical true AI to a game like NMS or GTA would still be like a child playing with puppets; the intelligence exists independent of the entity "performing", and the mechanism for the intelligence is external to its avatar in-game. The AI does not die if the character it controls dies. It does not even die if the game itself is destroyed.

By your definition, it seems, dreams are universes. A dream may also have its own assets, conditions, principles and physical laws. What's the difference between a "universe" that exists only in your head, and a "universe" that exists only in your computer?

But science has shown me vast seas of cause and effect that leads me to believe our matter and energy could not have existed without something existing before those principles prohibited their creation. That our universe is not so random as to prohibit human life is remarkably stable. That we can know and rely on our principles lends credence to the idea of design rather than pure randomness.
You keep refering to the alternative to design as being "by random chance" or "an accident". You don't know that this must be so. Just like with evolution, the process may contain elements of randomness, but the end results could be much less so. Also consider the anthropic principle: we are here to observe the universe, so the universe must at least in part be able to sustain us. Even if the alternative WAS complete and utter randomness, us being here says nothing about all the universes that could have been here but aren't.

This time it's my turn to cut off. It's late here, and I have a new job to go to. I'll return as soon as able. EDIT: updated, but still not finished. Sorry for taking so long, but ive already lost two long drafts to accidental updating.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
EDIT: Didn't see your last sentence on your post being pending until I got to it. So please finish your post and PM me when you're done and I'll update this post accordingly before you read it (so you don't waste your time).

Ingjald said:
Being non-sentient would rob this suggested creature of any ability to do anything intentionally, anything it did would be unintended. It would basically be the equivalent of a plant, at most. And certainly incapable of providing the design you believe you see.
Sure, but I still feel the need to leave that open ended. For example, a goat is not sentient and yet can do a lot of things intentionally including forming the next generation of goat. If we think of evolution as we've observed it here, we could consider the idea that the universe could be a sort of egg in which any life that advances far enough to get out of the "egg" is the offspring of the creator. I mean, I consider that on the "far out there" side of the spectrum but we have so little knowledge if any that we can't strictly rule things out.

You're espousing something from something, yet critisizing Krauss for doing the same (I've read the book now.)? Admittedly, the title of the book is indeed misleading, but his ideas at least has the merit of involving very elementary elements. Admittedly, I don't understand how empty space can contain energy, any more than I understand how space can be curved, but both of these are apparently accepted as true. And if literal nothingness is as unstable as the book suggests, then Krauss has a point in suggesting that the question "why is there something and not nothing" may be that it's a false choice, and that nothing wasn't really an option, so to speak.
I'm critisizing Krauss because he is espousing something from something and calling it nothing like an idiot when he's got to be one of the smartest guys we have working on this. Likewise, he isn't even postulating something from something. He is specifically postulating matter from something which isn't even the same argument. You and I are discussing the creation of matter AND energy that constitute the universe. His argument essentially boils down to matter coming from fleeting electromagnetic energy in a vacuum. See the problem there?

Using terms that mean different things interchangably makes your position seem fluid. You say "the universe had a cause" and I agree. Interchange with "designer" and it's a whole other question, to which I don't agree. You seem to be going for humility and open-mindedness, which is all well and good, but it's very hard to argue against a seemingly shifting position.
Don't know what to tell you there. If I'm going to err, it's going to be on the side of open-mindedness and accepting the limitations of my knowledge. This side discussion came out of my explaining the semantics of why I specify "cause". My argument at it's core is that the universe was designed on purpose. You can restrict our discussion to that component if it'd make it easier to address head on.

I think this might be the reason we're talking past each other; we have differing ideas of what constitutes a creator/designer/cause. I stopped arguing against religious deities when you suggested we divorce the two (well, the discussion kind of split in two, but still), but I still think that "creator" and "designer" implies certain properties, which are what I'm arguing against.
Sure, but my comment is that even a non-sentient being would be creating energy and matter in a way we would presently consider supernatural. Here's a question, do you see a significant difference between a sentient being designing the universe in the same way a developer does and some kind of lifeform that creates a universe as a process? Wouldn't both of those be equally "supernatural" from our standpoint? In my opinion, intentional design is the simpler answer.

"the only thing necessary to create the universe is the ability to create the universe" has the distinct odour of a tautology, and also seems to me to make as much sense as saying "the only thing required to walk across this room is the ability to walk across this room, nothing more" when challenged on whether the walker in question had legs.
The point is that we know nothing about any such being other than that they had the ability to create it. We don't know if they care about living organisms anymore than desolate planets or anything. We don't even know if it has free will or sentience so much as ability or intelligence. For example, a non-AI robot or program that is designed to create virtual universes given a set of parameters. You could say that our creator was created by sentience but not our creator in that circumstance.

And seeing patterns and order around us is what we do. It's what our hunter-gatherer brains are best at, and it easily backfires on us. For instance when our brains percieve a pattern and assumes the pattern originated in a brain, an assumption that sometimes serves us well, and sometimes not.
Sure...? Doesn't mean that the universe isn't remarkably stable and supportive of life when randomization could have provided us with nothing more than clumps of dust exploding and regrouping. Most scientific minds have marveled at the relative order of the universe. Why order and not chaos? Given an infinite number of universes, sure, random order can occur and had our universe not been orderly then we wouldn't be postulating on it right now because we wouldn't exist. So our ability to ponder it is a given that our universe was orderly. Sure. But given the need for a cause outside of ourself and the relative order it is not unreasonable to strongly lean towards design as long as we don't make crazy assumptions based on that like believing that said designer specifically cares what you do when the universe is such an awfully big place that's likely filled with life.

... are you asking if I believe in Evolution? Yes, I believe in evolution.
You suggested design without any real clarification, so you'll have to forgive the preemptive broadside. As I said, biology is probably the science I'm most passionate about, and evolution is sort of fundamental to it, as well as one of the most frequent targets of the faithful.
Life is by far the most interesting aspect of the universe in my opinion too. So biology is a wonderful field to be interested in. But our discussion has always been about the creation of the universe. I do understand your confusion though as most Christian debate seems to be limited to creation of the Earth itself which honestly isn't all that relevant to overall cosmology. We're not even a spec in the grand scope of the universe.

Touching on the quotes I brought up before, I'm a big fan of the term "sufficiently advanced"; it conveys the same general idea without misapplying a previously established concept. It can apply to any number of manners in which one might be advanced, and is limited to none of them.
But I wasn't talking about "advanced technology" perse. With that comment I was discussing naturally evolved abilities rather than societal progress like my "Universe could be a program" possibility would have. For example, a being that is naturally able to manipulate energy and convert it into matter on a significant scale. This is why I used "super-evolved". Not to imply that they're further on the spectrum, but to indicate that they have evolved the equivalent of super-powers. So this part was about organic abilities rather than technological.

On the first point, the "only" was a significant part of my objection. Abstinence isn't wrong in itself, and should, as you say, probably be encouraged to some extent. However one of the quirky consequences of our evolution is that we reach reproductive age before reaching adulthood. In essence, to use the figurative handing of a loaded gun to a kid; this is a loaded gun they will be handed regardless, and all anyone else can do is damage control. Or they can object to damage control on moral grounds, with predictable results.
Oh, you're referring to sex education specifically? I don't object to sex education, I just prefer to be the one to tell my kids about the birds and bees and latex. I don't particularly trust random adults to talk to my kids about it. I also have a general issue with the age schools do it at. Fourth grade was honestly too young for me and they didn't follow up with it later when it mattered. Middle School would have been better and High School even moreso.

Either way, our school system sucks balls.

On the second point, you're right. Even if there is evidence suggesting that we have an innate revulsion to incest (blah blah pheromones etc.), it's not something that can't be overcome if you're determined enough. However, I don't think there has been any successful societies in which murder (as in "intentional unprovoked killing of an in-group member") has been considered legal and acceptable. the same goes for theft and rape. General lying isn't usually so strongly objected to as to have it be illegal, but liars are seldom held in high regard. This isn't to say these things are empirically wrong, but empirical data suggests that these things impede human cooperation, and since cooperation is one of our greatest strengths and the very basis on which a society is founded, such things have been selected against, and aversion to such things has been selected for on both the group level and the individual level. Therefore, while force may be how our laws are upheld, I'd say the general consensus among the members of our society is the authority upon which it rests. And since it must apply to people of all faiths and none, it may be called morality, but it's not itself religious.
The problem with saying that the authority lies with society is that it's vague at best with many interpretations. Laws are the attempt to standardize those interpretations but the truth is that you can believe society thinks one way while your neighbor can think society thinks another way. So it's too vague or faceless a group to deal with in any meaningful fashion. On the other hand, a totalitarian regime or militant group like ISIS can take control and impose moral laws that do not mimic society's standards.

So, it's a damn murky subject to discuss.

Religion, however, likes to take credit for morality it has adopted, and claim it invented it. How many times hasn't it been claimed that "the golden rule" is a christian invention? It's probably the best short-hand rule for ethical behaviour in existence, and has appeared in nearly every ethical system ever deviced.
The Bible as a whole doesn't make any claims as to being the first. It's just people making assumptions after the fact. I guess it's just important to them to feel like it was said there first even though it wasn't.

On that note; it's curious to find a christian arguing for moral relativity. The argument usually goes that without God as a standard for objective morality, anything goes. Therefore, atheists either A: should admit that they have morality and therefore God exists and then stop being atheists, or B: admit that they don't have a divine moral compass, and the argument that usually follows that involves atheists not being able to condemn Hitler and his actions. Aren't false dichotomies fun?
Aren't people hilarious to listen to sometimes? "Yep, the Earth is only 7,000 years old and God hid fossils in it to trick atheists into Hell. Hey, this cool-aid is great; What is this, almond flavored?..."

Well, I do believe that there are objective truths. The book is on the table, this chemical reaction produces that, 1+1=2 and such. I've found it incredibly perplexing when people argue for subjective truths in general. Especially people who believe in science. Moral relativity I get, but truth in general? That's weird as heck to me on anything beyond the barest philosophical level.

A fair argument to make is that without a solid moral construct that morality is at the whims of social change. That society can morph into some sort of Hitler praising cult. At which point you can point out that governments also carried out atrocities in the name of Christianity so it's not like having an absolute moral construct solves the problem as long as the people in charge can ignore the letter of the law when it suits them.

Ok, something you've got to understand about me is that I study things relentlessly. I pull things apart and figure out what makes them tick.
An admirable trait, and one that I share. At least the first part. Unless it was figurative, in which case that too.
Heh, it can be both! :p

Huh. Did not know. I'll admit, I thought tithing was a medieval-ish invention for keeping and maintaining the growing number of large cathedrals and churches and keep the coffers filled. But it seems it actually started out as a noble endeavour. huh.
Humans in general will corrupt anything, given the ability and motivation to do so. You are probably specifically thinking about indulgences here. The Catholic Church decided to sell forgiveness. Interestingly enough, indulgences were the initial reason for Martin Luther's break with Roman Catholicism. I sometimes want to set up and indulgences booth in front of a Catholic Church to see what happens. I doubt it'd be as hilarious as I'd think. But I still relish the thought nonetheless.

You are not born with religion. You can leave a religion. If you are particularly unlucky, your immediate family might decide to murder or disown you if you do, but still. You can not leave your skin colour, your gender or you sexual preference. A more apt paralell, I think, would be political views. And people have to defend their political views. Only most people don't take criticism of their political viewpoints quite so emotionally as do the faithful of their faith.
So you are OK with discrimination based on belief? I mean, I get that some people believe some pretty harmful things like the KKK but to wantonly dismiss and discriminate against a diverse 2 billion person segment of the world (around 32% if the Pew Research is to be believed) is quite a large pill to swallow.

Look, there's fairly good evidence to suggest that religion is something we're biologically predisposed to. Belief in an unseen observer with the ability to reward or punish has a generally positive effect on social cooperation where the religion does not reward selfishness. Strong tribal ties amongst common elements like religion have also served to establish rules around which societies can grow. We may have reached an era in which communication is so readily achievable and language and governments are so well established that the need for religion has significantly eroded, but it has had a tremendously positive effect overall even for all the times it has been used as a weapon. The way a faith is used is a reflection on society moreso than the faith in the vast majority of circumstances. To complain that one faith was used to do something bad is more commentary on humans that the faith.

And no, I hope you don't think that I'm an idiot, or I've been doing a very bad job here. As much as I hate pulling the "you're one of the good ones" line, the fact of the matter is that you're the first believer who's been able to keep a civil level of discussion. For comparison, in the last encounter I had with a christian, he was attempting to discredit Dawkins by suggesting he has autism. Seeing as I'm autistic myself, as well as an atheist, you can see how this is doubly insulting. Stepping in an explaining how insulting he was being, instead of offering apology, he decided to dismiss me because "that's just your autism speaking." You worried about insulting me earlier. This here is roughly the level you'd need to be operating on for that to happen.

Even worse; this person prefaced his name with "Dr.".
I don't think you're an idiot at all and I'm sorry you had that interaction with anyone, let alone a professing Christian. If it makes you feel any better I've also had pretty bad interactions with Atheists and you're one of the few that has been willing/able to walk along the non-religion-specific discussion of a scientific creator. I really appreciate the opportunity to discuss that on a scientific level since the vast majority of discussion on that almost always boils down to the problem people have with religion and its various adherents since, as near as I can tell, there is no objective reason to be adamantly against the mere idea of a creator.

And forgive me for adding some bitterness to such a sweet notion, but it must be said. It cannot be up to the unbelievers to determine who is and is not following the faith correctly. I would love to believe that people doing good are good and people doing bad things are just doing it wrong, but I can't seem to get over the fact that both sides seem equally capable of citing chapter and verse in justification. I cannot help but suspect that the good are good not because of their books, but in spite of it.
I would disagree. I would say that it is a human endeavor to decide whether a person is good or bad based on their own merits. The moment we let our prejudices take charge we become little better than outright racists and sexists in our judgements of others. I should be able to expect you to judge me based on my own merits for the same reasons you should be able to expect me to judge you on yours. I shouldn't have to preface to black people that even though I'm white I'm not racist anymore than I should have to preface to you that even though I'm Christian I'm not a dick. Yet both racists and those dicks are quite vocal proponents of both demographics, wouldn't you agree? They're certainly the ones that hit the news.

And in reading the book myself, even skipping the old testament (Leviticus is gold for biblical lunacy) in its omnicidal glory, I find that the man who is supposed to be the paragon of goodness and virtue preaches forgiveness one moment, and threaten hellfire for unbelief the next, and Yahweh himself can't help you if you're a fig tree out of season, or a bunch of pigs.
Couple things to consider:

1. Omnicidal. If you care at all about Christian apologetics then I'll discuss this one with you here. Generally speaking, Christians hold that the first covenant was to a chosen people against all other nations. The Second covenant was extended to the entire world. So while the nature of God may not have changed, the covenants have. Don't know if that matters at all to you but you may be interested in it so I brought that up.

2. The fig tree was supposed to be a metaphor for the Christian who does not produce good works. Think of any Christians you have a problem with. Ones who have spewed hate and similar crap. They aren't necessarily any more saved than you as an atheist are. The Bible is fairly explicit about going out of our way to love and assist even those who would persecute us. So where the Hell some Christians get off on spewing hate is beyond me.

3. Bunch of pigs? This wasn't supposed to be an allegory if you're talking about the group of possessed pigs that ran off a cliff. That's certainly a weird verse though.

To be fair to Christianity specifically, the cost of avoiding "hellfire" is relatively light. The vast majority of Christianity teaches salvation by faith and even then we understand that belief may not be full belief. "I believe, help me in my disbelief", if you will. It's decidedly unChristian to declare that someone blankly going to hell because you diddled a girl who wasn't wearing a ring or just because you're having trouble believing in a God that cares if you tell a white lie or not. As Christians, we are supposed to confess our sins one to another. Does that not imply that we're going to have sins and ongoing struggles while not magically ceasing to become Christians? This puritanical practice of pretending like we're perfect in every way with no struggles has done a tremendous amount to harm our image. Silliness on top of silliness that causes us to lie to each-other and act haughty to people outside our sphere. Shame on those of us who do that.

I apologize if you've heard a lot of the screaming preachers declaring God hates you. But the vast majority of Christianity, even the hypocritical circles, agree on God's love for you as a central tenet. That God demonstrated His love for us in that Christ died for us while we were yet sinners (Romans 5:8, paraphrased). The general premise of Christianity is that the Creator did have rules in place and we broke them. Then the rest of human history is God undoing the damage we caused despite our deserving the punishment the original rules stipulate. Think of it like a game in which God plays by specific rules even if He could just bring the console up and change them. That takes the fun out of most games anyways.

In any event, I like what Penn Jilette said on the subject of what you're calling "hellfire". He, a strong proponent of Atheism, believes that if you believe in Heaven and Hell then it would be outright wrong and hateful for you to not try to warn others of it. He views a Christian coming up to him handing him a Bible and discussing it with him as someone who is concerned for his safety. Look, if I proselytized to you, it wouldn't be because I want something from you or think God hates you. It would be because I care about you and your future. It's easy to think about those "God hates you" screaming preachers when you think about proselytizing but those are just the loudmouths. The squeakiest wheels. Of course you're going to notice them before you'd notice a neighbor who is always eager to help and would give you the shirt off his back because he serves a loving God. I don't blame you for thinking about those types before the loving types. That's entirely our fault. But me going out of my way to help you with something you need isn't going to make headlines. Some asshole in Florida burning Qur'ans to piss off the Muslim community will.

If there was one aspect I might be jealous of in the faithful, the sense of community would be it. Once, in 11th grade, I actually attended a supposedly interfaith-y group meeting thing the school had as an extracurricular activity. It's very hard to get a meaningful discussion when a full hour meeting consisted of "what would Jesus eat/say/do" interspersed with prayer. Few things are more awkward than being the sole unbeliever in a room with 8 praying christians.
I bet. I spent some time with a house church group in Massachusetts. I was already sick of typical institutional church and its many hypocrisies so I thought I'd check it out. Turned out it was several families getting together once a week, eating together (potluck) and socializing and having fun. There was a time discussing God and Christianity followed by a prayer at the end but nothing horribly time consuming. That's where I really developed what community in the Church should be like. It should be something that you want to go to because those people are friends and family.

The Christian Bible says that we'll be known by our love. We should be known for our community and our outreach. To say I'm embarrassed is an understatement.

To be perfectly honest, no more than before. It's an interesting thought experiment, but I really do believe the idea falls short of being more reasonable than not, even if you divorce it from the funny religious colourings.
Fair enough. I was hoping that I'd made the concept of a creator seem less supernatural. Less magicky if you will. I find that most atheists think of specifically the Christian God when they think about the plausibility of a creator rather than the various possibilities of someone sitting in front of a computer as a developer or such. The idea that we're already heading that way makes me really consider the likelihood.

And it's not too strange that lot's of scientific discoveries were made by the religious of old; a literate (and probably bored) upper class with secured income and lots and lots of disposable free time vs. an illiterate peasantry who spent most of their waking hours working on farms. This model would generate the same outcome regardless of whether the mentioned upper class was religious or secular.
Actually, these were largely lower class and poor. Third sons (no inheritance like the first son and no commission into the military like the second) and those with nowhere else to go. Some who specifically joined to research and learn.

But we've had several other societies where very little comparatively came out of the upper class. I'd say it happened moreso in religious organizations because of higher literacy rates and emphasis on study as well as preserving knowledge.

This one, however, is old. The jewish expression for failing at it is, I believe "shame before the goyim". That is, pretend to be perfect, or you'll look bad before the people you consider yourself superior to, and then they won't think that your superiority comes from the in-group you belong to.
Sure, but Christianity generally follows the premise that humans are incapable of being perfect and so need a savior. Feels very "have your cake and eat it too" to me to be a Christian AND pretend to be perfect. I'm not a Christian because I'm better than anyone else. I'm a Christian because I'm no better than anyone else, you know what I mean?

Again, most atheists don't make the claim that there is no god, in the sense that they know it. They merely don't believe there is one based on the lack of evidence. Why do you dimiss the 6 on Dawkins scale as not being atheists? I guess that if you're splitting hairs, they're/we're technically agnostic, but that does nott exclude some pretty heavy leanings in one direction. It's like saying the 2 isn't really a theist unless they make the equivalent claim of knowing that God exists.
Because "De Facto Atheist" and "Agnostic" are the same thing. They are not equivalent with Atheist. There was a line there for Atheist and it was 100% belief or even claim of knowledge of the negative.

The negative has the problem of never being positively provable. The positive claim has the problem of not being disprovable. The latter is the greater problem.

"No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong."
-Einsten
The positive claim had the problem of not being testable. Not a problem of not being provable. Let's say for example that the study recently started to determine if our universe is actually a 2-D hologram finds out that we are. Would that not be an interesting case for a Creator if we are indeed in a Matrix-esque environment?

http://www.newsweek.com/government-physicists-think-we-may-be-living-2-d-hologram-267073

It'd be weird as heck to think of us as a self-aware program but this would actually explain a heck of a lot of things all at once if true.

I've shown that we ourselves are on a trajectory to create our own sentient capable universes and so it is not unlikely that we ourselves were created too.
This you have not shown, this you have asserted. I'll grant that true AI is a fascinating possibility in the future, but your claim that video games constitute universes does not appear valid.
Explain? Do they not have their own assets, conditions, principals and physical laws?

Take a look at No Man's Sky for example. Everything is procedurally generated. Every particle, plant, mineral and rock.
<youtube=nLtmEjqzg7M>

we are creating universes and they're only going to get more and more complex. Eventually we will be able to create AI on meaningful levels and begin to include them on this kind of scale.

So yeah, they are mini-universes. How would you disagree?

You keep refering to the alternative to design as being "by random chance" or "an accident". You don't know that this must be so.
If not creator, then what? You only have random chance or unintentional beyond that. It's almost axiomatic. If not intentional then unintentional or there was no one to intend/"unintend" and so it was random.

This time it's my turn to cut off. It's late here, and I have a new job to go to. I'll return as soon as able. EDIT: updated, but still not finsihed.
Darn it, I like to respond as I'm reading so I didn't see this line until just now with everything preceding this already elaborated on and typed. Please PM me when you're finished and then I'll update this post too.