LulzSec Leader Outed As FBI Rat

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
LulzSec Leader Outed As FBI Rat

Several "top members" of LulzSec have been arrested by the FBI with the help of the group's leader, who turned informant after being arrested last year.

We haven't heard much about LulzSec in recent months but for awhile last year it was the scourge of the internet, a sort of sugared-up, amoral Anonymous that really was just "doing it for the lulz." Its brief rampage ended as suddenly as it began, but today the group is back in the news thanks to the rather startling revelation that its leader, the man known as Sabu, was flipped by the FBI and became an informant almost a year ago ago.

Sabu has been revealed by the FBI as Hector Xavier Monsegur, and he's been working for the bureau since he was arrested in June 2011. Fox News [via Gizmodo [http://gizmodo.com/5890825/]] reported that after pleading guilty to more than ten charges related to his online activities, "he worked almost daily out of FBI offices, helping the feds identify and ultimately take down the other high-level members of LulzSec and Anonymous."

With Sabu's assistance, the FBI has charged five people with various crimes, arresting three so far: Ryan "Kayla" Ackroyd and Jake "Topiary" Davis of the U.K., Darren "pwnsauce" Martyn and Donncha "palladium" O'Cearrbhail of Ireland, and Jeremy "Anarchaos" Hammond of the U.S. Ackroyd is believed to be Monsegur's "top deputy"; Hammond, reportedly also a member of Anonymous, has been charged in a separate indictment for the attack on security and intelligence company Stratfor, which resulted in the loss of credit card information and millions of emails.

Monsegur, described by FoxNews.com [http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/03/06/hacking-group-lulzsec-swept-up-by-law-enforcement/#ixzz1oLiLkGhI] as an "unemployed, 28-year-old father of two," apparently flipped on the group in order to avoid being separated from his children. "It was because of his kids. He didn't want to go away to prison and leave them," a law enforcement official said. "That's how we got him."

Regardless of how many more arrests are made because of Monsegur's cooperation, the FBI believes this spells the end of LulzSec. "This is devastating to the organization," another official said. "We're chopping off the head of LulzSec."

Thanks to sleeky01 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/sleeky01] for the tip.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Good fucking riddance I say. I really love this, I'll be honest here. Say what you will about his reasons for doing it but the simple fact of the matter is that LulzSec's entire existence was based on a matter of principle, "people should secure their shit." And now at the end of the day we see their leader sacrifice his principles and betray his comrads. Hypocrisy and irony all in one delicious serving.

Xannidel

Feb 16, 2011
This story sort of reminds me of Frank Abagnale, Jr's story (or at least Catch Me If You Can, the movie based off of Frank Abagnale, Jr) except for the kids part.

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh man this is a good story. I also want to point out that I called this back during the height of the Lulsec crap last year.

Silvianoshei

May 26, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Monsegur, described by FoxNews.com [http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/03/06/hacking-group-lulzsec-swept-up-by-law-enforcement/#ixzz1oLiLkGhI] as an "unemployed, 28-year-old father of two," apparently flipped on the group in order to avoid being separated from his children. "It was because of his kids. He didn't want to go away to prison and leave them," a law enforcement official said. "That's how we got him."
This is the only thing I don't like. Threatening to leave his children without a father or as orphans is a pretty terrible thing to do.

Also want to point out that his name is freaking awesome.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
This is so good it must be fattening.

Just when I started my diet, dammit.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Remember how melodramatic and self-righteous these idiots were, with claims of standing up to a corrupt government and bunch of other nonsense? Yeah, thanks guys. Hacking a bunch of game forums and PBS and releasing all of our personal information sure showed the gummint.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
It's like a modern day version of Red Dead Redemption, but with computers and without the assorted badassery.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Upon reading this, I keep thinking of that Halo soundclip "Betrayal".

Sure his betrayal was justify (if he does love his children why did he lead a secret life that is dangerous) but if I were him I would lay very low for a while since I would assume the reamaining members want his guts now.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Silvianoshei said:
Andy Chalk said:
This is the only thing I don't like. Threatening to leave his children without a father or as orphans is a pretty terrible thing to do.

They didnt need to threaten to leave his kids without a dad, he put himself in the position where if he was jailed he would abandon his kids. If he was so concerned with his kids well being then dont commit crimes that could damage your relationship with them.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Silvianoshei said:
Andy Chalk said:
Well...he kinda got himself into all that. It's not like they grabbed a random, innocent guy from the street and blackmailed him.

Anyway, I don't know where I stand with all this. On one hand, I can see what they were trying to do, acting as some sort of vigilante. On the other hand, they DID break the law.

Well, I doubt they'll have he same luck with Anon.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Silvianoshei said:
Andy Chalk said:

This makes no sense to me.

Do you get how crime and punishment works?

Feb 13, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Regardless of how many more arrests are made because of Monsegur's cooperation, the FBI believes this spells the end of LulzSec. "This is devastating to the organization," another official said. "We're chopping off the head of LulzSec."

Good luck with that.

Now the real war will begin.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
What a little *****, ratting out your own people to keep yourself safe.

And playing the, "My poor Children" excuse; should of thought of that before doing it for teh lulz.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Silvianoshei said:
If you can't do the time, etc.

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Andy Chalk said:

Good luck with that.

Now the real war will begin.
This. Grabbing a handful of people who might be "leadership" isn't going to stop it. That's like saying "We killed Bin Laden! Terrorism is over!"