Lyrics or quotes that make you cringe.

Jack Joe Tip Toe

Jul 19, 2010
"I want be your smile, your frown, your anger, your happiness, I want to be yours."

What quote or lyric makes you want to kick babies?

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I don't need any quotes or lyrics to get that baby-kickin' feeling started. But if you want a quote I hate, then you've got this one from Love Story:

My dad never told my mom he was sorry, regardless of the situation. Being married to him for over a decade was the most horrible experience of her life.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
A lot of Bruno Mars songs make me cringe.

He manages to insult and attempt to compliment women at the same time...

Whatever song it is, there's something like 'we're gonna have sex all day and she's gonna scream out this is great.' then there's a cheesy 'yeah this is great' after. It makes me cringe so much.

If I ever heard that in the bedroom, I'd smother them.

Jack Joe Tip Toe

Jul 19, 2010
EeveeElectro said:

Whatever song it is, there's something like 'we're gonna have sex all day and she's gonna scream out this is great.' then there's a cheesy 'yeah this is great' after. It makes me cringe so much.

I wanna say that it's "The Lazy Song" that you're talking about. I'm not 100% though.

MrSir231

Oct 24, 2013
EeveeElectro said:

I don't have a problem with his songs so much as they seem to be overplayed constantly.

TWRule

Dec 3, 2010
There are hundreds of cliches and platitudes that make me cringe, but one I heard (again) the other day...

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results."

This often attributed to Einstein, though who knows if he actually said it - he's one of those names that pop culture loves to attribute "wise" quotes to - like the Buddha, MLK, Ghandi, or Nietzsche...

Anyway, it annoys me. Whoever said this was either making a rather lame joke in a particular context from which this quote has been divorced, or has very questionable understandings of the nature of definitions, insanity, and the world in general for that matter.

And yes, when I saw the trailer for Farcry 3 awhile back which used this quote - even though it was used in a way that was supposed to be playful and humorous rather than serious - it made me not want to play the game. I can't imagine someone saying this in a way that isn't totally vacuous, even if it's 'good-humored' vacuity.

While I'm on the topic, I once stayed at a hotel where the laundry bag had a quote on it: "Laundry is the only thing that should be sorted by color." And it was attributed on the bag to Nietzsche. I HIGHLY doubt that Nietzsche ever such a thing, both for historical reasons and due to how Nietzsche is...even if he did say it, the sheer irony of *his* having said it would probably be a lot more than the hotel bargained for...

I looked the quote up online out of curiosity and it was also attributed to all those other figures I mentioned...those men are probably rolling over in their graves.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
We drink to our youth, to days come and gone
For the Age of Aggression is just about done

Jesus christ, the bards in Skyrim are bad enough singers on their own, but when you are rhyming Gone with Done, it makes me want to bash a keyboard.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Many many songs have this but here a few off the top of my head.

"You're so much cooler when you never pull it out
Cause you look so much cuter with something in your mouth"

Maybe I'm interpreting that wrong but it really makes him sound like a jackass with "you're hot so long as you keep dancing and don't speak". In fact a lot of Nickleback songs are either like this or pretentious though I suspect many of his songs are dry humor not serious. I'm hoping this song is one of them because it's disgusting.

Bottle and a gun- hollywood undead. The entire song is just...what? Here is a sample from it

"My clothes are always retro
Sexual like I'm hetero
And I play a ***** like Nintendo (ZELDA!)
Take her for a ride in my benzo"

I probably shouldn't say this one cause it's tied in with religion but Cassie by Flyleaf. Most song can have horrible lyrics and I won't really care but with that one the subject matter and the lyrics are enough to put me off because I see it as a pointless waste of life rather than a good thing.

"Do you believe in God?"
Written on the bullet
Say "Yes" to pull the trigger
"Do you believe in God?"
Written on the bullet
And Cassie pulled the trigger"

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Any lyrics that are self-indulgent or directly reference the artist.

While I do love a lot of songs that do this, I don't like when lyrics date the song (mentioning something like an iPod or current pop culture, for instance). I prefer songs to be more-or-less timeless.
DANGER- MUST SILENCE said:
So the thing that makes a woman beautiful is her unawareness of being beautiful- that women's appeal is given to them by men rather than recognized in themselves. It's a horribly, horribly misogynistic song that unfortunately seems to go unnoticed since their target market is the sort of teeny-bopper girls who care about non-sexually threatening boy bands to begin with. Unfortunately, their target audience is the one most likely to internalize the message.
I uh, think you might be misinterpreting those lyrics.

'Cause it sounds to me like the girl referred to in the song has low self-esteem and/or body image issues.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Any lyrics by Black Eyed Peas. Their music is fucking awful, and should be banned.

Also, any song featuring the kind of lyrics you could imagine a 14-year old airheaded girl post on Facebook in an attempt to sound profound and deep, like "Live every day, it might be your last", "In the end, nothing really matters, love will find a way" etc. None of those are form actual songs but you get the idea. One of the most cringeworthy examples was 30 Seconds to Mars' "Closer to the edge" with

"I will never forget
I will never regret
I will live my life"
DANGER- MUST SILENCE said:
The Key of Awesome have made a whole bunch of awesome One Direction parodies that rip the whole boy band thing apart.
I just love the lyric
"Me and my boyfriends all want you so desperately
Now that I say that out loud it sounds quite creepy"

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
EeveeElectro said:

So what you're saying is that Bruno Mars pioneered negging?

OT: Not exactly what's being asked, but the amount of people I know that falsely attributed the Churchill quote about having enemies to Eminem makes me want to commit mass murder.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
About 90% of the Bible. I don't know what hits me worse the rules about rape or the mass genocide. Or the father trying to kill the son. Or God making a bet with Satan about that guys life.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
Anything I've heard from Tyga.

His contribution to the song "Bubble Butt" delved to new depths of bad, and that's considering how little I expected from it (the answer is absolutely nothing at all).

WARNING: These lyrics may very well be toxic. They are definitely not family friendly.

[Hook x2: Bruno Mars]
Bubble butt, bubble, bubble, bubble butt
Turn around, stick it out, show the world you got a

[Verse 1: 2 Chainz]
Drop it low put it in the dirt
Sex drive put it in reverse
Killed the ass put it in a hearse
Then I drove off and put it in the dirt
Drop it low put in the dirt
Take your top off turn into a bird
Bubble butt pussy [?]
Smoking bubble kush wearing a bubble coat

[Verse 2: Mystic]
Wine, go down, turn and flick it
A girl like me know how fi handle oi wicked
One bat, two balls, swing it like cricket
Pull me locks, slap my ass, make me show you how me wicked
Baby baby mek me tell you 'bout the body yah
Make you vibrate like a Nokia
When me whine and bruk off that body yah
Uh huh, even kartel a happy yah

[Hook x2]

[Verse 3: Mystic]
I had a cute thing, buenas noches
By the end of the night my knees are now on your chest
Fuck me bad, let me in, a cardic arrest
Make me come
Make me come
Come, we know you are the best
Who's bad?
Let me wind upon your cock
Tick-tock-tick, riding the clock
Beat it, beat it, beat it bad, let me show you what I've got
I ain't Snoop Dogg, but I'mma drop it like it's hot

[Hook x2]

[Verse 4: Tyga]
OK, open up your Bubba Gump, let me see your bumper
The booty so smooth, can't believe is not butter
I go in from under, she wetter than a surfer
I ate the pussy fast, I'm about to start burpin'.
I burp, burp and re-lick the bottom of the surface
I load in my clip in and told her, 'Don't get nervous'
I'm a Bang Bang Chiddy, bang, Bang, bang killer
Nipple tit clit licker
Ball like a dribble
Put you on a pickle, nibble on my dickle
Why you're tripping? I'm a crazy individual
Never do minimum, drive Benz, Bentley too
Damn, *****, talk much, I don't want interviews
I'm trying to get into you, into you
Then make you my enemy
Not playing, got the ***** mad
Me don't like flat screen, ass I need a 3D

[Hook x2]

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
How has no one mentioned the fact that Pittbull attempted to rhyme Kodak with Kodak?

In terms of quotes, basically anything people say to make themselves seem deep.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
DementedSheep said:
I probably shouldn't say this one cause it's tied in with religion but Cassie by Flyleaf. Most song can have horrible lyrics and I won't really care but with that one the subject matter and the lyrics are enough to put me off because I see it as a pointless waste of life rather than a good thing.

"Do you believe in God?"
Written on the bullet
Say "Yes" to pull the trigger
"Do you believe in God?"
Written on the bullet
And Cassie pulled the trigger"
If I recall correctly, this is a reference to the Columbine High School massacre. A girl was hiding under a desk, one of the shooters found her and knowing she was religious this exchange happened.

Though there's some debate as to whether the exchange actually took place, or if it was even Cassie Bernal that this happened too.

I haven't read up on this subject in a while though, so I might have a few details wrong.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
Any Gloryhammer song. They are desperately trying to be a symphonic power metal band on par with Rhapsody of Fire, but I just cannot take them seriously when the "storyline" of their songs is about a sorcerer named "Zargothrax" taking over a fantasy world with an army of undead unicorns... -.-'
The unicorn invasion of Dundee!

They came with the first light of dawn
setting their sights on Dundee
led by the sorcerer Zargothrax
slaying all people he sees
they ride to war on once noble beasts
corrupted by wizard spell
the unicorns used to be good
now they are forced to serve hell

Down from the mountains
and across the river Tay
an army of undead unicorns
are riding into the fray

Fireballs and lighting are raining from the sky
chaos and bloodshed while all the people die
in this epic battle begins the final war
tragedy will strike this day, prepare thee for
the unicorn invasion of Dundee

The townpeople had little hope
they were not ready for war f
ireballs make everybody die
and buildings collapse to the floor
the beautiful princess was raped
and taken prison with cry
Angus McFife swears a mighty oath
"I will make Zargothrax die!"

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
GabeZhul said:
Any Gloryhammer song. They are desperately trying to be a symphonic power metal band on par with Rhapsody of Fire, but I just cannot take them seriously when the "storyline" of their songs is about a sorcerer named "Zargothrax" taking over a fantasy world with an army of undead unicorns... -.-'
I'll admit, that made me laugh out loud. Zombie Unicorns! How is that not awesome?

Speaking of power metal, I can't believe I forgot to mention Dragonforce. The amount of words like "forever", "tonight", "eternity" and rhyming fire/desire in their songs is OVER 9000!!!!!!

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
You know that song by Snoop Dog that's all about sexy women? I can't remember the name of it, but the song is full of sexist crap. Take for example:

"You ain't a dime, you's a silver dollar."

Oh, so I'm a slightly better form of currency that's only valued by whether or not I put out? What an amazing compliment! Unfortunately, all sorts of rap songs have crap lyrics like this. I know that's not actually the meaning behind that particular line (isn't it something to do with a 'lucky dime'?), but comparing women to money is not the way to a girl's heart. They don't want to hear how similar they are to something that gets used and spent to gain something better than them.

In terms of quotes in general, those ones oozing in cheese and sap that people always post on facebook or twitter as said by the latest big celebrity. You know, the ones along the line of "just be yourself, you're beautiful!" Those aren't inspirational quotes, those are things people shove in preteen films. It doesn't help that they're almost always written with no grammar whatsoever.