M Night Shyamalan booed by NYC audience... though I'm not sure why?

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
His last few movies weren't very good, with Avatar: The Last Airbender being widely considered an insult to the source material. Also, a movie about a bunch of people stuck in an elevator and one of them is the Devil? Cracked summed it up quite nicely. [http://www.cracked.com/blog/m-night-shyamalan-is-making-a-trilogy-of-movies-really/]

Nalesnik

Nov 10, 2008
The twist in this movie: all the people in the elevator are the devil/demons, and they're just screwing around with the repair/rescue crews. =D

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I think he irritated a lot of people with some of his plot twists, not to mention the fact that some of his best work is routinely ruined by massively ridiculous moments other than the plot twists. Even "Signs" which had mixed, but general positive reviews, featured this ridiculous bit with one of these horrible alien invaders being defeated in the climactic momenet by a hick with a baseball bat... despite having somehow been a global threat.

The plot twist to "The Village" actually annoyed a lot of people and was kind of stupid and was the movie that seemed to start to really turn people on him.

I think the bit that has lead to the degree of hatred was "The Lady In The Water" which wasn't quite as bad as many people make it out to be, but is noteworthy for the fact that at the same time he was under a lot of fire and heavy criticism he both cast himself in the role of "the Chosen One" the ultimate writer to end all writers who will like usher in glory for the entire world or whatever... while at the same time feeding the quintessential critic to a slavering monster. The timing of the whole thing had a lot of people going "Lol, what?".

Truthfully I think a lot of it has to do with him personally, it's not just that he's had a few bad (or very disappointing movies) it's the fact that he's been incredibly arrogant about it. He's one of those people who releases something that is dumb, and then seems to try and argue that we, the audience, and the various critics are simply too stupid to get his obvious genius.... that whole "Lady In The Water" thing was what seemed to throw it from annoyance into overdrive.

If I was M. Night, I'd develop a pseudonym like Steven King did, albiet for other reasons. I think the problem is honestly association with him, and his attitude. He does have a lot of potential and talent despite everything, which is why he's given all these chances. Instead of promoting movies with his name on them, they should have him ghost write for a while and if he has a couple of blockbusters again then "out" him from having used those name, with a few decent PR handlers to prevent his ego from turning people on him again.

Oh yes, and frankly, I think the people who are approving his scripts should look carefully at some of his twists. He can do good ones, however if it's "Nature is removing humanity as a threat, through the use of killer tree pollen" or whatever, chances are he should be told to work on that part of things. In my case it's not that I had any trouble understanding the premise of "The Happening" or why it was going on, and why the plants were reacing that way, it was simply that the central idea/reveal was stupid, and no matter the reason scenes of wind blowing through trees or fields just doesn't do it for me as a horror movie bad guy on it's own.

HereForFreeFood

Nov 17, 2009
Judgement101 said:
Because all his movie are aweful
lol, I see what you did there!

Anyway, everybody at the screening were at first laughing at their own M. Night inside joke and they probably laughed even harder when they realized everybody else was thinking the exact same thing- "Oh god, not again."

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Gralian said:
Maybe it was due to his name being mentioned.

I just can't say it with a straight face.
I don't see what's funny about the name M Night Shyamalamanomanan.

OT: It's probably because he's shit.

EDIT: Also, I call dibs on the twist being that the LIFT is the devil. Oh yeah, you heard it here first.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Gildan Bladeborn said:
MiracleOfSound said:
-snippety-
Not sure why anyone would just start laughing and booing when his name turns up in an otherwise serious looking trailer? This clip from South Park will explain that, and also Michael Bay. [http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155700]
That seemed to me more a parody of Cloverfield and JJ Abrams

WinkyTheGreat

Sep 6, 2008
Because the whole idea behind this movie just sounds stupid and cliche. This movie does not seem appealing in the very least. Mix that with the fact that he hasn't had a good movie since Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs and you have something that people will assume is bad right away.

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
He tried to take a huge series and try shove it all into once movie, without leaving behind any of the characters, places, or abilities. Except that he failed terribly. Plus, some of the things he changed MADE NO SENSE. For example, in the cartoon the Earth Benders are kept prisoner on an oil-rig style thing in the middle of the ocean. This means they can't use their powers to escape. It's a little thing that makes it more believable.

In the movie, they're on dry land. So why don't they the millions of tonnes of earth surrounding them to escape? "Hurr durr because they weren't motivated durr hurr" Fucking REALLY? Is THAT all you can come up with?

Also:

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Therumancer said:
I think he irritated a lot of people with some of his plot twists, not to mention the fact that some of his best work is routinely ruined by massively ridiculous moments other than the plot twists. Even "Signs" which had mixed, but general positive reviews, featured this ridiculous bit with one of these horrible alien invaders being defeated in the climactic momenet by a hick with a baseball bat... despite having somehow been a global threat.
Not to mention the plot hole of an Alien species advanced enough for intergalactic travel yet is dumb enough to invade a planet whose surface is almost entirely made up of the one thing they're allergic to

Patton662

Apr 4, 2010
It's because people who still watch cartoons decided that he ruined the last airbender, also his filmography resembles a downward spiral.

Insignia19

Sep 1, 2009
Thing is, this movie (Devil) wasn't made by him. He basically came up with the basic idea for it. The script was written by the same guy who made the 30 Days of Night movie, and is being directed by the guy who made Quarantine. I'm actually looking forward to this movie, and the fact M. Night is linked to this movie doesn't really phase me, because it's not his movie.

Although I can see why some people aren't willing to give this film a chance....kind of.

Theron Julius

Nov 30, 2009
I would like to point everyone's attention to metacritic. Never before have I seen a movie do that badly. A 20/100... Sex and the City 2 did better! It made him a joke.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
OK, I know no-one's going to pay attention to one lone post amidst this wall of hatred. But, I loved Lady in the Water, it's one of my favourite fairy-tale films. The whole thing was sweet, and charming, and up-lifting.

I really think this is a case of people not getting what the movie was supposed to be, everyone seemed to expect it to be a horror film and of course it's going to disappoint them, because it really wasn't.

The Village wasn't terrible either, though the twist was pretty poor.

I definitely prefer Syalamalamalaman when he's not doing horror movies.

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
M Night Shyamalan's new movie trailer for 'Devil' received jeers and laughter when aired in NYC.

Thing is, I'm not quite sure why... there was nothing particularly funny in the trailer, which is here:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/2010/07/20/2010-07-20_m_night_shyamalans_devil_trailer_gets_big_laughs_at_inception_screenings.html

Link to the news item on Youtube:

http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/YouTube+LLC

Apparently they erupted laughing at the words 'From the mind of M Night Shyamalan. Am I stupidly missing a very obvious joke somewhere?

Anyone know the full story here? Is it something to do with Last Airbender?
tomtom94 said:
I guess people have decided that his movies just...suck.
What a twist ! lol

His movies do suck and they're always about something retarded. Forget snakes on a plane, we got Devils in an elevator !

Virgilthepagan

May 15, 2010
See, while I completely understand his name warranting a laugh from the audience, I'm confused. What does he have to do with this project? I looked it up, he neither directed nor wrote the screenplay, is he just producing it? If so, why does his name need to be in there at all? Maybe he is just as vain as all that.

On another note, honestly this one has potential, it's like twelve Angry Men with Satan thrown in for funsies.

shabobble

Oct 28, 2009
Its because everyone probably imagined that guy that held the elevator door open saying,

"THE SCHNOZZBERRIES TASTE LIKE SCHNOZZBERRIES!"

Kakkoi

Jun 14, 2010
I don't get it either, I -like- most of his movies. I've seen all of them and the only one's I didn't like were The Last Airbender and the Happening. I really think people make fun of him because it's the -in- thing to do. And I don't think the 3 strikes your out thing is a good excuse, how about Tim Burton? Steven Spielberg? No, people mock him because if a critic says his movie sucks then it must be so.

EDIT: I just read the article, he didn't write or direct it but it was his idea apparently.