M1911A1 or a new gaming PC?

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
I have around $700 to spend. Now, I could get a sexy Springfield Mil-Spec M1911, which I've wanted for a very long time, or I could go the more practical route and get a mid-range gaming PC and join the modern world. What do you guys think?

Dec 10, 2012
I dont know what answer besides 'buy the PC' you expect to get on a gaming website.

I personally have neither any firearms nor gaming computers, though I would like both someday. So I would say whichever you think will give you more enjoyment. That simple.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Aerosteam said:
What mods can you have on that gun?
The M1911 is an incredibly versatile platform and parts can easily be mixed and matched. Perhaps the biggest problem though (although even this doesn't apply to all models of the M1911) is that there is no rail the bottom of the barrel to mount attachments with. While you can still mount attachments to the pistol, they'll have to clip to the trigger guard.

American Tanker said:
Get the .45 and as much ammo as you can afford.
Roger that.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
TheVampwizimp said:
I dont know what answer besides 'buy the PC' you expect to get on a gaming website
^THIS

OT: I never understood the appeal of guns. They just seem like kind of a waste unless you're a hunter or have an actual use for it but just collecting or using them at the range just seems like a waste of money.

So clearly I am on the PC side but...

TheVampwizimp said:
So I would say whichever you think will give you more enjoyment. That simple.
^THIS 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
Buy a gaming PC, play video games, become violent, buy the gun anyway.

Seriously though, I'd go with the gaming PC. Then again, I don't understand guns and their appeal either.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Well, over the next few years do you expect to spend more time playing video games or shooting people?

I mean, that's how I decide on what to purchase.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
the pc.. it both plays games and its practical enough to beat someone to death with in the case of home defence

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
I thought this was funny when it was pointed out to me, but it's true; the majority of the US gun owner market are just adults with cool, expensive toys.

I'm not judging you! I collect(ed) Warhammer, for Christ's sake. But I think it's important that the gun control debate recognise that a large portion of gun sales are marketed at people who don't need them for self-defence but do need something cool and flashy and expensive that has a laser sight on it or whatever.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Well, from what little I know of firearms, the one you're describing is considerably rare. So if they're both things you want then as crazy as this sounds I'd get the gun now. Unless something catastrophic happens, you're never not going to be able to get a gaming PC.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Think of it as one investment protecting the other. How long would it take you to have $700 to throw around again? I'd say gun first, gaming PC after, because you can't enjoy the sexy vidya if you're dead in a home invasion because someone was passing by and thought they'd quite enjoy dem graffics too.

Then again, I don't know the area you live in, the actual state you live in, or your commitment to training with your firearm after you purchase it, so the gaming PC might just be the better option if the gun is more of a hobby, moreso if you already have firearms, even moreso if you already have a firearm you're able to carry concealed. That and, .45acp isn't cheap. tying into the second point.

MrCalavera said:
You have to ask yourself which will be more fun.
This is also an important consideration in general.
bastardofmelbourne said:
I thought this was funny when it was pointed out to me, but it's true; the majority of the US gun owner market are just adults with cool, expensive toys.

I'm not judging you! I collect(ed) Warhammer, for Christ's sake. But I think it's important that the gun control debate recognise that a large portion of gun sales are marketed at people who don't need them for self-defence but do need something cool and flashy and expensive that has a laser sight on it or whatever.
The thing is, the debate does to an extent recognize that, but a certain side does not recognize that with it being a right, they don't need a reason. AKA "Bill of Rights, not Bill of Needs".

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
If you are talking about joining the modern world, it sounds like you'd want to replace the computer after a few years when it becomes obsolete (from a next gen gaming PoV). The 1911 has been round for a hundred or so years, it's not going to have that issue.

Short term, I'd advise the computer. Long term, I'd advise the 1911 (unless you have 11 or so and want the full dozen, cause 1 more isn't going to be that exciting), unless you don't mind still playing games from now in a few years time.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Do you already own any firearms?

If yes, get the gaming PC, if not go with the 1911.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
A thing designed to kill human beings or a thing designed to be both practical and to provide countless hours of safe fun where nobody really dies. It's a tough one so I'll have to think on it some more.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
You can't defend your home with a PC. Look at all those gun-wielding lunatics out there now. Play it safe, get an assault rifle, it'll last for someone's lifetime. Plus it does not devalue as hard as computers.

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
Save for a PC or choose a Glock. As a shooter myself, I can say that, while the 1911 is stylish, Glocks are much better for plinking. (Or other modern handguns, see if can try out an FN if ur committed to a Browning design.)