Mac Harddrive faliure

McHanhan

Sep 13, 2009
The hard drive in my (almost) 4 year old macbook pro failed, tonight. I've never had a HD failure but from what I've heard from others it seems pretty typical (loudish clicking). That's the bad news. The worse news? My last full time machine backup was july 2008. Last partial backup (email and documents) was Feb 2009.

I know, I know. There's no excuse for no backups. In my defense, Time Machine stopped working for me - after HOURS it would always give the same error.

- Running disk utility from the osx install DVD, trying to "repair" the drive ends in a failure.
- Trying to create a hard drive image on the external ends in a failure.
- Neither of these facts are surprising, because this is a hardware and not software issue.

ANYWAY, here's where things get a little weird -

...BUT, I can physically navigate the Hard Drive's menu trees, via disk utility. I can go into my documents, I can do into Applications, etc. The files are THERE. Tantalizingly close. Disk utility just doesn't have the ability to copy individual files. You either have to make a backup of the FULL drive, or make no backup at all.

So what I need is some sort of mac bootup tool (or terminal command line?) that will let me copy INDIVIDUAL folders and files from my failing HD, onto my external.

I'm pretty convinced that the majority of my HD's data is intact and accessible... there is just no default tool on the OSX boot disk that allows you to copy individual folders. I've given up on a full recovery, but if I could back up documents, email, address book other essentials... it would be a HUGE load off my shoulders.

Snork Maiden

Snork snork
Nov 25, 2009
My girlfriends Macs HDD "failed" about 2 days ago (actually the thing was intact, but it required a clean OS install and so the files had to be taken off), and I ran into the "getting at my files" conundrum.

I know this isn't quite the answer to your question (I actually know bollocks all about OSX) but my solution was to take the HDD itself *out* of the Mac and hook it up to my PCs motherboard - I got a trial of Macdrive which let my Windows machine read the OSX HDD. It was fairly easy to just grab everything I needed from the drive and then replace it in the Mac.

Getting the drive out was a snap, and I don't think its much harder in older MacBooks as long as you have a screwdriver set. Hardest part is plugging it into a PCs mainboard, but I'd assume the connectors to the PSU *should* be there, and a quick Google of "connecting laptop HDD to desktop" gives you an easy how too of plugging the drive into a PC.

Of course this assumes you have a full desktop PC available :(

EDIT:
Vie said:
Tried a disc bootable Linux distro and a large usb hard drive?
Actually this is a much easier method :p

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
almightywabbit said:
*Sigh*

Why oh WHY do people get the drive to use a Mac...
Because they're good. I haven't had a problem with mine in 3 years. My PC had a problem nearly every week. So go away fanboy, unless you're going to contribute.

OP, my cousin had this, don't think he actually managed to solve it himself, have you tried taking it to your nearest Apple shop? The Genius bar might be able to help.

cynicalandbored

Nov 12, 2009
Y'know, it probably would've been better to google the problem then get advice from forums that're actually about Macs. It'd mean less of the Mac bashing you're certain to get here...

That's my only advice to be honest. You'd do better elsewhere. Here's not the place. Good luck with it though. It really sucks to lose that much stuff. If you use SuperDuper as an alternative to Time Machine you'd probably be better off by the way. It's less likely to go mental, you can boot from it just as easily, and it's customisable.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
almightywabbit said:
*Sigh*

Because they're really well built look great and run linux just fine.

Well there's no way I'm using OSX - it feels like going back to the early 1990's with how cackhanded its interface is.

Kaboose the Moose

Feb 15, 2009
Unless I am thinking of a different OS, doesn't Mac's comes with Timemachine and isn't Timemachine designed to do automatic backups? So can't you just to mount it to another computer and just copy the files over by hand?

Horticulture

Feb 27, 2009
McHanhan said:
Vie said:
Tried a disc bootable Linux distro and a large usb hard drive?
I don't follow wouldn't that just override my exisiting hard drive.
Vie's suggesting that you start your computer from a Linux CD [http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu] the same way you would use the recovery disc (hold 'c' at boot). Rather than installing Linux, you'll boot up from the CD and run linux from there while you copy the recoverable files from your MacBook's hard drive to your external.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Huh, I like how everyone finds out that a Mac failed and acts like it's more common than on your average Windows computer. Get a life, guys.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Was going to suggest it. Get a bootable Linux, either on CD or USB, and use it to copy files.

And don't use Macs. Seriously, with all its flaws, I'd take Windows over Mac any day.

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
McHanhan said:
The hard drive in my (almost) 4 year old macbook pro failed, tonight. I've never had a HD failure but from what I've heard from others it seems pretty typical (loudish clicking). That's the bad news. The worse news? My last full time machine backup was july 2008. Last partial backup (email and documents) was Feb 2009.

I know, I know. There's no excuse for no backups. In my defense, Time Machine stopped working for me - after HOURS it would always give the same error.

- Running disk utility from the osx install DVD, trying to "repair" the drive ends in a failure.
- Trying to create a hard drive image on the external ends in a failure.
- Neither of these facts are surprising, because this is a hardware and not software issue.

ANYWAY, here's where things get a little weird -

...BUT, I can physically navigate the Hard Drive's menu trees, via disk utility. I can go into my documents, I can do into Applications, etc. The files are THERE. Tantalizingly close. Disk utility just doesn't have the ability to copy individual files. You either have to make a backup of the FULL drive, or make no backup at all.

So what I need is some sort of mac bootup tool (or terminal command line?) that will let me copy INDIVIDUAL folders and files from my failing HD, onto my external.

I'm pretty convinced that the majority of my HD's data is intact and accessible... there is just no default tool on the OSX boot disk that allows you to copy individual folders. I've given up on a full recovery, but if I could back up documents, email, address book other essentials... it would be a HUGE load off my shoulders.
A friend of mine had a similar issue.

He recommends that you try refridgerating the drive. I have absolutely no idea what good that will do, but he swears it fixed his long enough for him to back up his critical files

almightywabbit said:
*Sigh*

Quite possibly because Macs are superior to PC's for video and photo editing, 3d design, and just about everything that isn't game related.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
almightywabbit said:
Oh please. If I was going to be a fanboy for anything it certainly wouldn't be for Windows. Just because I prefer it to a mac doesn't make me a fanboy, it just makes you look like a sodding troll.

Sod off.

THERE'S my contribution.

Haha, I'm the troll? Ok then.
Look, I understand that not everyone has the same opinion on everything, so I really couldn't care less if you don't like macs. But why bother coming into mac thread just to bash them? The thread title isn't "What do you think about macs" Or "Mac vs Windows" so why waste your time? Or are you just trying to get that post count up?

Nihilism_Is_Bliss

Oct 27, 2009
just don't take it to the apple store. they'll say they wont wipe the hard drive while fixing it, but really...they will.

and yeah, almightywabbit, eagle has a point. nevertheless, i can't believe you guys are flaming over something that small :p

tk1989

May 20, 2008
almightywabbit said:
Eagle Est1986 said:
almightywabbit said:
*Sigh*

Because they're good. I haven't had a problem with mine in 3 years. My PC had a problem nearly every week. So go away fanboy, unless you're going to contribute.

OP, my cousin had this, don't think he actually managed to solve it himself, have you tried taking it to your nearest Apple shop? The Genius bar might be able to help.
Oh please. If I was going to be a fanboy for anything it certainly wouldn't be for Windows. Just because I prefer it to a mac doesn't make me a fanboy, it just makes you look like a sodding troll.

Sod off.

THERE'S my contribution.
Cmon dude, you take a cheap shot at Macs and then as soon as someone makes a fair rebuttal you start going over the top.

Just because you don't like macs doesnt mean shit. If you dont have something to contribute to the topic then stop trolling.