Mad Catz Producing Marvel vs. Capcom Arcade Sticks

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Mad Catz Producing Marvel vs. Capcom Arcade Sticks

For the over-indulgent fighting game fan in all of us there's Mad Catz's latest premium arcade stick, a Marvel vs. Capcom 2 model designed in the mold of its Street Fighter IV Tournament Edition sticks.

If you're the kind of guy who goes gaga over the fact that an arcade stick features Japanese arcade components and a ball-handed joystick, you probably already own one of the once-rare Street Fighter IV Tournament Edition arcade sticks that came out along with Capcom's fighter earlier this year. But if you prefer a picture of the Hulk and Wolverine fighting Ryu and Mega Man over a Street Fighter IV logo as the design on your stick, well have I got good news for you.

Capcom and Mad Catz are continuing their fruitful partnership by producing a top-of-the-line arcade stick in celebration of the release on Xbox Live and PlayStation Network of Marvel vs. Capcom 2. This is basically the same arcade stick they put out for Street Fighter IV, with a different design on the top and different colored buttons. Same Sanwa parts, same turbo settings, same button lock to prevent accidental presses of the turbo buttons, same cord compartment, same sturdy build.

It's a damn fine piece of hardware for any genuine fighting game fan. Ultimately the choice of whether or not to get one of these comes down to whether or not you already have one and how much you like Marvel vs. Capcom. Interesting to note that the stick doesn't have the Marvel vs. Capcom 2 logo on it but a generic "Marvel vs. Capcom" logo. Wonder why that is. Anyway, if you hate it that much you can always mod your stick. Which you could easily do to make your existing stick look like this one anyway.

The stick will be on sale exclusively GameStop, Capcom's online store and Mad Catz's online store this fall. Pricing was not announced. The Street Fighter IV Tournament Edition stick went for $149.99 so I wouldn't be surprised to see that repeated.

[Via Capcom-Unity [http://www.capcom-unity.com/s-kill/blog/2009/09/10/thats_right_a_marvel_vs_capcom_2_tournament_edition_stick]]

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
I really want one of these sticks, but I don't want the design (because then I feel that's the only I can play w/ it). Also, I prefer bat-style to ball-style and concave buttons.

bluepilot

Jul 10, 2009
mwah mwah mwah *drools*

Must save money. Most have one.

It has a lock button and Wolverine on the front. What could be wrong with that.

It is kind of annoying that, well, even though it is pure awesomeness in inself, in my heart of hearts I know that it is just an over-glorified, over-priced joystick that costs more than the game console...

That will not stop me buying one though...who needs food anyway

CyberAkuma

Elite Member
Nov 27, 2007
I'd love to have one of those sticsk but in Europe they'll probably cut the stock and availability by one third and thus increasing the price of the sticks by twice.

I still remember than when the Street Fighter IV Arcade Sticks were released the normal retail price for those were around $250.

Fists

Apr 16, 2009
well I have never owned a piece of mad catz technology thats survived more than 3 months, and I was a very slow learner so dont think that I have only owned one. I've probably had half a dozen.

Nevyrmoore

Aug 13, 2009
See, it looks good and all, but I see the phrase "Mad Catz" and I immediately think "Oh dear, how long before this one breaks?"

brabz

Jan 3, 2008
I'm still wary of Mad Catz stuff after previous poor experiences. Although the controller looks very good, I'm still waiting for a wireless version. I can't stand the idea of cluttering up my floor with wires now that the technology is in place that it's not necessary.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
This is the only good product Mad Catz ever made that I've used. That's kind of an insult and a compliment at the same time. It is a very, very good stick, definitely the worth the money if you're a seriously competitive player or just want the best possible experience with fighters. It's built rock solid, I've had zero problems in the four or five months I've been using it.

As for the cord problem, yeah that could be annoying if you're anal about stuff like that. But there is the cord compartment in the front where you can open a little door and stick the cord inside so it's out of the way when you're not playing.