Mad Catz To Produce Rock Band Peripherals

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mad Catz To Produce Rock Band Peripherals

Rock Band [http://www.madcatz.com/].

The deal allows Mad Catz to manufacture, market and sell wired and wireless bass guitars, a wired microphone and a drum kit bundled with "professional quality" wooden drumsticks. The new controllers are expected to begin shipping in the first half of 2008.

"This agreement with MTV Games represents a natural opportunity for Mad Catz to combine our core competencies of producing and distributing high-quality accessories with the entertaining experience of Rock Band's interactive controllers," said Mad Catz CEO Darren Richardson. "Mad Catz will produce premium instruments, allowing gamers and music fans to experience music in an entirely new light while taking on the personality of their favorite music idols."

Technical problems have Activision's approval [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/80038].

Founded in 1989 as Patch Ventures, the company took the name Mad Catz Interactive in 2001. It produces a wide range of peripherals for game consoles and PCs, including controllers, cables, joysticks and other devices.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
From the Mad Catz press release:

"Pursuant to the agreement, Mad Catz has secured the rights to manufacture, market and sell game accessories, including both wired and wireless bass guitars, a drum percussion set bundled with professional quality wooden drum sticks, and a wired microphone."

I thought it was a bit strange myself.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
If they're durable I may consider. I currently have two different bass guitars in the repair shop for on-stage damage, if they can make something that stands up to being repeatedly thrown against concrete I'm interested.

brkl

Jul 12, 2006
I'm sure they'll be able to do a better job. After all, they've specialized in controllers.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Nothing says quality like Mad Catz ....

brkl said:
The actual guitar isn't included?
You can buy a version of the game with no instruments. Presumably so you can a) use it with the Guitar Hero controllers you already have (as long as you're not playing on the PS3, sucker) or b) buy the microphone separately and use it like Karaoke Revolution with better music. The theory is that they would also be selling the instruments individually, so you didn't have to fork out $180 up front to play the game.

The $180 package also only includes one guitar, so even the people who do opt for the full set still need to acquire another guitar somehow.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
What's the difference between the standard and bass guitar controllers?

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
Sasha Nein said:
What's the difference between the standard and bass guitar controllers?
Strap length.

More seriously, I assume they would alter the body to look more like a bass, while leaving all other functionality the same.