Mad Max ?free? this month on PSN

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, I see that this thread has devolved into who can be the most obnoxious, but that aside:

Ezekiel said:
Dreiko said:
Do you need to have seen the new movie to get it? I'm not much of a fan but I tend to try out new games once in a while just for the hell of it.
No. The game isn't in the same timeline as any of the movies.
Um, source? Last I heard it was a prequel to Fury Road (or an interquel between Thunderdome and Fury Road, depending on how picky you are about terminology).

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Hawki said:
So, I see that this thread has devolved into who can be the most obnoxious, but that aside:

Ezekiel said:
Dreiko said:
Do you need to have seen the new movie to get it? I'm not much of a fan but I tend to try out new games once in a while just for the hell of it.
Um, source? Last I heard it was a prequel to Fury Road (or an interquel between Thunderdome and Fury Road, depending on how picky you are about terminology).
Yea it kinda slots in between. I would say that having watched the latest movie isn't a 'requirement' as such, but it certainly helps in universe building. And it's a fantastic movie, if you haven't seen it, you should watch it first anyway simply coz it's awesome.

I liked this game a lot. Yeah it wasn't blow-your-socks-off awesome in any particular regard, and it is a bit clunky, but overall provided for a fun experience. Building up the car is a bit of a hit and miss in terms of what's effective and what's not, but it gets pretty intuitive what's worth your effort soon enough into the game.

The characters and voice acting is not bad, fist and vehicular combat also hold up well as the arkham-combat system they are. The only weak point to me, and something I enjoy the most in open world games, was the racing. But it's not crucial.

I would recommend it as worth a shot for anyone who might be curious about it, but not enough to lay down money/time for it back at release.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I think Mad Max The Game draws most of it's inspiration from the classic movies which is probably for the better. These movies really echoed the fear of the 70's oil crisis of a society that relies on fossile fuels and petrochemical industry. The original movies were silly but I think they never went overboard the way Fury Road did. That movie looked more like a traveling rock circus with Max not even being in his car. Also I don't know the exact dates but by the time Fury Road came out Mad Max The Game was probably already pretty late in development. Though no doubt they changed things here and there to capitalize on the popularity of the movie.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Hawki said:

Ezekiel said:
Dreiko said:
It mentions the bad guys being a related or subfaction of the Fury Road villian, that was about as much as tie-in as it got with any specific movie.

For a funny anecdote, one of the collectible photos is a motorcycle, which Max in game muses as to what the hell that thing is. Despite Mad Max (the first one) literally involving him as a cop vs a motorcycle gang. So yeah, they weren't exactly too bothered keeping any consistency with the movie series.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Ezekiel said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Ezekiel said:
Yoshi178 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Ezekiel said:
I think it completely fails
Isn't that a recurring sentiment with you. If it's not that one third person shooter from six years ago, it sucks.
it's as recurring as you defending Playstation every time someone says something negative about it is.
As usual, he shows up only to rag on me, adding nothing to the topic.
Feel free to comb through my sixteen thousand posts and count on two fingers the number of times I've noted you only seem to like the one game. Just strikes me as something that would impair someone's criticism.
You have a selective memory if you only count two of these snide spam remarks. No, they weren't all about my "one game." I'm not gonna look through your thousands of posts. You're also not paying attention if you think I only like the one game or are just intentionally exaggerating. I don't have to like or make excuses for your mediocre games. Gaming is declining.
I'm pretty sure this is only the second time I point it out, but I've obviously made a bigger impression on you that you have on me so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Also sorry for the late response, I keep forgetting to reset the notification system.