Mad Max Won't be Set in Australia

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
And Australia gets shafted again for Nevada or some shit. As an Aussie this ticks me off, we never get any love. No wonder the stereotype that Americans are shit at geography persists.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
The Last Nomad said:
Err, I don't see why this is such a big issue, sure Australians are more interesting than americans, and therefore this game is gonna have less interesting characters. But the movies never explicitly mentioned they were set in australia. It was only filmed in australia because it already looked like it was a post-apocalyptic landscape. Infact, I think it was implied that the whole world now looked like that, so it would make sense for the films to actually have been set outside Australia, where the world had been reduced to looking different, not like it always did...

And the aussie accents were really just there out of necessity as the films (the first one in particular and to a lesser extent the Road Warrior) were low budget films and they couldn't afford to get any big name actors from america and had to use local talent, who for the most part were all pretty rubbish by todays standards, (but perfect for 80's action movies)

I'll reserve judgement til i play it, or at least read/see a few reviews.
Nope.

Between the vehicles, (the V8 interceptor in the first movie was a Ford XB Falcon, built only in Australia) the crashed Quantas 747, and the last scene in Thunderdome showing a ruined Sydney there is no doubt that it's pure Aussie.

TheMightyBill

Feb 17, 2011
As an Australian I can see the truth. Clearly, this is the way of the future;
"Aligator Dundee."
"Ned Kelly; Bushranger of the West."
"Priscilla, Queen of Texas."

Besides, video games probably couldn't handle what post-apocalypse Australia has to offer. Everything is incredibly deadly and poisonous already. Imagine a super-kangaroo. A giant wombat. Mega platypus. Oh god, koalas would become Drop Bears... we'd be doomed.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Maybe after Just Cause 2 they realised they dont know how to do accents so now they are just avoiding any kind of accent possible

johnnnny guitar

Jul 16, 2010
*Sigh* As an Aussie it really disappoints me that there are no open world games that make use of our environment I mean it's diverse as shit with deserts, Icy mountains, tropical forests, bushland and beaches it's all killer locales for a open world sandbox game I mean for fuck sake can we at least have bloody MAD MAX!!! set in the land down under where it belongs :(

P.S. also does this mean no Aussie voice actors at all and also have they said where the hell its going to be set.

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
but people love to hear Australian accents
I love to hear Australian accents and I AM Australian

bloody wankers

malakaira said:
*Sigh* As an Aussie it really disappoints me that there are no open world games that make use of our environment I mean it's diverse as shit with deserts, Icy mountains, tropical forests, bushland and beaches it's all killer locales for a open world sandbox game I mean for fuck sake can we at least have bloody MAD MAX!!! set in the land down under where it belongs :(

P.S. also does this mean no Aussie voice actors at all and also have they said where the hell its going to be set.
What icy mountains?

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
Well... let me just say, in my strongest Australian accent: Fuck that shit. I ain't buyin' it.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Ed130 said:
The Last Nomad said:
Err, I don't see why this is such a big issue, sure Australians are more interesting than americans, and therefore this game is gonna have less interesting characters. But the movies never explicitly mentioned they were set in australia. It was only filmed in australia because it already looked like it was a post-apocalyptic landscape. Infact, I think it was implied that the whole world now looked like that, so it would make sense for the films to actually have been set outside Australia, where the world had been reduced to looking different, not like it always did...

And the aussie accents were really just there out of necessity as the films (the first one in particular and to a lesser extent the Road Warrior) were low budget films and they couldn't afford to get any big name actors from america and had to use local talent, who for the most part were all pretty rubbish by todays standards, (but perfect for 80's action movies)

I'll reserve judgement til i play it, or at least read/see a few reviews.
Nope.

Between the vehicles, (the V8 interceptor in the first movie was a Ford XB Falcon, built only in Australia) the crashed Quantas 747, and the last scene in Thunderdome showing a ruined Sydney there is no doubt that it's pure Aussie.
It was only really the third one before they really explicitly implied it was australia, and that film is a load of horseshit compared to the others, (Ironically only when American filmmakers got their hands on the series, and it became one of the generic 80's action films the series had previously set itself apart from).

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
Blitzwing said:
I.Muir said:
but people love to hear Australian accents
I love to hear Australian accents and I AM Australian

bloody wankers

malakaira said:

What icy mountains?
The snowy mountains and all of these other places
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ski_areas_and_resorts_in_Australia
The hills that have snow on them less than half the time? We have all been to thredbo or perisher at some point, it's not exactly mountainous.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
HippySteve said:
Chaos Marine said:
Of course it isn't going to be set in Australia. Australia's not 'MURICA!!!! enough.
You know, we really aren't like that. I'd love to see a video game set in Ireland or New Zealand, hell I even bought both titles in the Metro series in addition to the book, but fuck man, that was just insulting.
I know all Americans aren't like that and I did make the comment 'tongue-in-cheek', so to speak. Besides, most Americans I've done find the term 'Murica' is amusing.

HippySteve

Oct 4, 2012
Chaos Marine said:
HippySteve said:
Chaos Marine said:
Of course it isn't going to be set in Australia. Australia's not 'MURICA!!!! enough.
You know, we really aren't like that. I'd love to see a video game set in Ireland or New Zealand, hell I even bought both titles in the Metro series in addition to the book, but fuck man, that was just insulting.
I know all Americans aren't like that and I did make the comment 'tongue-in-cheek', so to speak. Besides, most Americans I've done find the term 'Murica' is amusing.
I'm sorry man, I just feel like Americans constantly get put down. I mean, not without reason, but it gets a bit tiring, ya know?

Aug 1, 2010
That's pretty dumb, but honestly, I can understand where he's coming from.

Aside from Mel's terrible accent, there's really nothing in Mad Max that defines it as Australia.

Still, it'd be nice to see a game that ISN'T set in Murika.

Chimichanga

Jun 27, 2009
While not myself an Australian, I nonetheless grieve for their loss.

Further on the point: We Americans don't need an American Mad Max . It's called Borderlands . Actually, no: It's called FALLOUT ! It's been there for ~20 years, even further back if you count it's older spirit brother Wasteland . We're fucking over-saturated in desolated, dusty, apocalyptic wastelands!

Seriously, even if they decided to be all vague about the location, the very last thing to do would be to flat-out state that it's NOT in Australia.

Eh, but then again, I wasn't planning on getting hyped over this thing anyways.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
HippySteve said:
Chaos Marine said:
Haven't you played any of the Lord of the Rings games?

They're all set in New Zealand, a few thousand years ago.

When the Elves sailed West they went to Tasmania... people just don't pay attention to this kind of thing, seriously.

HippySteve

Oct 4, 2012
Abomination said:
HippySteve said:
Chaos Marine said:
Haven't you played any of the Lord of the Rings games?

They're all set in New Zealand, a few thousand years ago.

When the Elves sailed West they went to Tasmania... people just don't pay attention to this kind of thing, seriously.
Psht. I just want to see GTA: Auckland