Made-up multiplayer

Mighty Lighty

Mar 23, 2009
Just wondering on the game modes people have put in multiplayer

e.g on gta4 playing car tag by having one person run over the other

basically how have you made up your own game within the multiplayer of another?

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
I did that a lot with friends. We did some things like zombies in COD which was fun. Halo 3 was the best game for this though, with forge and custom game options you could do pretty much whatever you wanted, for example we had a series of platforms floating above a desert. They circled a central platform which had a tank on it.

The starting platform had a bunch of vehicles on it and there was a ramp on the end of each platform but they had walls to shield them from the tank. One player would be in the tank and would attempt to shoot the other players as they use the ramps to jump their vehicles from platform to platform, at the end of the course was a teleporter that takes the player to a platform above the tank where they can find a powerup to make them invincible as well as a rocket launcher. They would then kill the tank player.

It was a lot of fun and that was just one out of hundreds of different gamemodes you could make. Halo 3 is still the best multiplayer game I can remember when I think back.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
A couple of times back when it was still new I used to do races in the open world with friends in GTA 4. We all lined up at some random place and then all agreed on a place to race to, and off we went. It was pretty fun, not only you have to deal with traffic but you could take any route you wanted to the goal. Sometimes the most direct route wasn't the fastest.

Other times one of us would just grab a helicopter and we would try to avoid his attacks. That was great fun. Not really much to it but it made for some really fun and intense chases. It's awesome driving a car as fast as you can down a bust street with explosions going off behind you constantly. You would have to compensate for shockwaves from the blast too if they got a bit too close.

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
Me and my friends had two. The first was called Wake Island Death Race. The objective was for a player to get from one end of the island to the other in a jeep, while everyone else tried to kill that player. All of us had just playing BF1942 and none of us were particularly good at it, which meant that the most frequent way of killing the jeep driver as taking a plane and kamikazi it into said jeep. Of course, this devolved into our most played "modes" for our LANs, which was basically team-killing.

Instead of playing the game regularly, we all just spawned on one side and proceded to kill team mates in a variety of different ways, like using a B17 bomber to bomb the spawn point into oblivion or use a destroyer to accomplish the same goal, wingkilling etc. The "winner" was the one with the most minus score. Good times.

paislyabmj

Mar 25, 2012
Once me and my friend were playing halo reach matchmaking on splitscreen and we discovered this hilarious exploit on the warthog races.We made sure someone else got in the drivers seat and that one of us got in the rocket turret ,you see there was this map with a massive cliff veering of the edge that killed you if you fell of and we found out that if we shot a rocket at the ground at the precise moment that you are really near the end of the cliff, the warthog rockets of the edge and the driver gets kicked for killing his team and us ,the jerks, get of scotch free.Felt kinda guilty after it but it was freaking hilarious while it was happening.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Me and my friends used to play the virus mode in the Timesplitters games. But instead of playing normally we would make are own maps with secret passageways, lockable doors and cameras watching the other players while the player who made the map watched over the players or ruined their day by unlocking all the doors and allowing the green flamed menace on them.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
On the guardian map on Halo 3 we get one person to fire a rocket, the other to try and hit it with the grav hammer and therefore send it flying in the other direction, and we have other people acting as fielders to kill the batter when they make their run round the course.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Most. I recall bearing the peice of shit that was Supa' Mawio Bruthars Whee-puddle and forced a friend to with me. We played all sorts of shit to take our minds off the fact we kept bouncing off of each other and flung ourselves into lava-pits. At times, we'd pick each other up and throw each-other into moderately-dangeorus looking things, or play tag for whatever reasons. It was probably better than the actual multi-player.

On a slightly less sensical example: Cook-offs in Runescape, ie who can make the most pies in the fastest time and then smash them against a drunken goblin's face.

RhanathShadowhand

Jul 12, 2010
Me and my friends used to use cheats to get all weapons and then just use the tripwire(is that how it's called?) in Half-Life and spam the place until we couldn't move. We just simply filled whole map with it.

We also used to use the tau cannon(gauss gun) and jump very high in the air and shoot the "flying person". Quite hard, but equally fun, if you ask me.

We still do the same once in a while when we get together.

Derek_the_Dodo

Sep 28, 2010
paislyabmj said:
the driver gets kicked for killing his team and us ,the jerks, get of scotch free.Felt kinda guilty after it but it was freaking hilarious while it was happening.
I should think that the driver wouldn't buy you any nice scotch for pulling a jape like that.

OT: There's a hollow circular structure to the north of packies house in the park just before you get to the freeway on GTA4.

We would get a car and head through the doors and line up against the walls, then play demolition derby.

tehbeard

Jul 9, 2008
Duck and Cover on Halo Reach. Faster Spartans, less gravity, bottomless grenade launcher and infini-roll in the tunnel between beach and blood gulch on forge world.

15 players was hectic as hell.

I didn't make this, but on Halo 2 I played a lot of Tremors (CTF) on coagulation. Lots of fun after a day at school.

Just remembered another one while talking in vent. "McClane", played in GTA4 Free Mode. No real rules other than whoever is McClane has to kick ass for as long as possible.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Color based team deathmatch in a game that let you choose colors but only had vanilla deathmatch. It didn't work so well, mostly because everyone who played that game had a really strong "shoot anyone on sight" reflex.

I've also played the "hey everyone, let's stand on top of each other and see how high we can get" game in various FPSs. That's a lot of fun.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Mighty Lighty said:
Just wondering on the game modes people have put in multiplayer

e.g on gta4 playing car tag by having one person run over the other

basically how have you made up your own game within the multiplayer of another?
Halo 2. My buddy and I invented Ghost Wars. No guns, you ram until one of you dies. Then when you respawn, you run to another ghost. Unless it hasn't spawned, in which case you're fucked unless you can time a vehicle theft just right.

It's awesome. In Halo 3 and Reach, we really upped it with Forge and custom game modes.

loudestmute

Oct 21, 2008
I've done a kamikaze mode of Rock Band. All randomly selected songs, take one shot for each song in the setlist before playing. It's just like being in a real band, complete with the parents reminding you you'll never make any money off of it.

Also, there's a challenge mode for Battlefield 3 that I've grown rather fond of. It's called "attempt to fly a helicopter." I'm not that good.

A Satanic Panda

Nov 5, 2009
In Halo 3 on Cold Storage, we would play an Odd Ball game with one person on Red team, and everyone else on the Blue team. The Red player had the Odd Ball which made him invincible (except to assassinations.) While the Blue players had to avoid the Red player killing them with the Odd Ball and being knocked out of the game until the round ends.

It was a bit like tag. Only what made it really fun was that the map had those color filters to make it really dark; and the only way to know the Red player was coming was some music playing through their microphone. When your on the other team you can hear the opponents speech if he's close enough.

The only ways to win were the Red player killing all the Blues or by the Red being assassinated.

I would always play this:

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
on various fps we used to play "mike myers" i think it was called (i didn't choose the name). basically it's hide and seek, and mike (whoevers is it) has to hunt for the other players and kill them with shotguns, while the others can't attch until it's the last man, and he can only melee. this worked best on cod 4

Blade1130

Sep 25, 2011
Only thing to come to mind (though one person already mentioned something similar) was where we played Halo Baseball. One person would shoot a rocket at another who would hit it with a grav hammer. If it exploded immediately, that was a foul, if he missed that was a strike. If he managed to hit it and have it fly away, the batter would draw a sniper rifle and try to shoot the rocket out of the air. Doing it in one shot would be a home run, two would be triple, and so on. Though that was actually very easy to pull off, since the rocket was flying directly away from the batter. Later we changed it so the pitcher would try to shoot down the rocket, since it's much more difficult from his position. Admittedly the game was a bit unbalanced, but we had fun doing it.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
My mates and I used to race each other to clear the side buildings in mp_bloc on CoD4. Silenced mp5s and radar jammer all the way.

On BF2 we used to go on runs of death. This involved loading a buggy with C4 and seeing how many combat zones you could drive through before meeting your inevitable demise.

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
In Halo 2, if you manage to get ahold of a Banshee during the tank section on the second level, you can fly up to the top of one of the support archs. Me and my brother decided to see who can stay on the Banshee the longest without falling off. When that didn't work, we took turns launching each other off and see who flew farther by having one jump off the arch and the other ram the Banshee right into them.

We called it "Banshee Toss"