Mafia III Gamescom Trailer Shows Off the Heist that Changed Lincoln Clay's Life

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Mafia III Gamescom Trailer Shows Off the Heist that Changed Lincoln Clay's Life

The Gamescom Mafia III trailer shows just how Lincoln Clay's life changed in one night.

There's a new Mafia III trailer out today as part of Gamescom, and it gives us a closer look at the heist that changed main character Lincoln Clay's life forever.

After coming home from the Vietnam War, Clay rejoins the black mob. He takes on a heist to rob the Federal Reserve in tandem with the Mafia, and is subsequently betrayed. This trailer shows off the heist and its aftermath.

We've seen a lot of info from Mafia III already, and this new video is another piece to the puzzle. Interestingly, there are a number of people in the comments of the video who are expressing the opinion that 2K is revealing far too much of the game, but it remains to be seen if that's the case.

Mafia III is coming to PC, PS4, and Xbox One on October 7.

[gallery=6409]

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
It's well presented, and Mafia III may well be a good game, but I really do find the near fetishisation of murder and violence a turn off in one of the other trailers (The World Of New Bordeaux). Brutal violence is being sold as a commodified feature, and it was this that something like Spec Ops The Line was criticising (it was not just a critique on MMS's, it was a challenge to how a society consumes and responds to violence and killing).

Violence has a place in art and, usually unfortunately, entertainment. But I object to exploitation and glorification, and that's what much of the game's marketing appears to me (and no, I'm not going to start a petition or wave banners... I'm just not going to buy or play it).

Perhaps the game's central character will provide some sense of grounded empathy and a window into decidedly self-destructive masculine worlds of violence and death. But if the gameplay still just keeps feeding the player violence/murder to revel in, there is no point or purpose to such characterisation (unless it's part of a broader meta commentary).

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
This seems like it will be a good game. But I can't get excited when the protagonist is such a fuckin' psychotic douche. Have you seen other story/gameplay videos? He's an awful person. I want a character that I can relate to, and if not at least make him fun. But no. He's both boring and an awful human being. Mafia 2 made the same mistake. Vito was incredibly boring and shallow. But that game's been butchered during production. It's a miracle that anything at all was released in the end.