Maggie - Arnold Schwarzenegger Does The Walking Dead

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Maggie - Arnold Schwarzenegger Does The Walking Dead

Arnold Schwarzenegger might turn in his best dramatic performance ever in Maggie, an art house zombie film, but is that enough to make it worth seeing?

Read Full Article

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I feel compelled to watch this. Bleak and depressing is my middle name!
Perhaps a singularity was reached here; Arnold.S, well known for ridiculous action romps throughout career + Zombies, well known for riduculous action romps throughout its, err...existence = Despairing arthouse drama.
Quite wonderful really. And Arnold looks pretty good with the beard thing going on.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
A pity it didn't fare better, but I'll at least give kudos to Schwarzenegger for putting real effort into it. Real drama is pretty far from his strengths, and thinking of all the ways he could've screwed it up (and how many other actors have failed miserably in similar attempts), a fair-to-middling showing is respectable.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
My major question, does the story have the people recognize the "zombie" virus as actual zombies? Or does it follow the trend of most zombie movies in which zombie movies/games/books never existed so no one knows what the virus is?

But so far, from your description Marter, Maggie feels like a movie pertaining to how a parent must watch their child waste away to an incurable disease (Cancer, some sort of genetic disorder, etc). Heck, can be any member of a family experiencing another wasting away from some form of sickness or disease. I'd say a pretty interesting take for the zombie genre instead of the usual zombies take over the world, straggling group of people trying to survive.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
InsanityRequiem said:
My major question, does the story have the people recognize the "zombie" virus as actual zombies? Or does it follow the trend of most zombie movies in which zombie movies/games/books never existed so no one knows what the virus is?
I don't think the word "zombie" ever actually gets said.

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
I'm going to have to check this out even though it doesn't seem to be the best movie just because:

1) I like unique takes on the zombie apoc genre.

2) I am actually really interested in seeing Schwarzenegger's performance. I would have never cast him in that role in this kind of movie. I'm just too damn curious to see.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
InsanityRequiem said:

But so far, from your description Marter, Maggie feels like a movie pertaining to how a parent must watch their child waste away to an incurable disease (Cancer, some sort of genetic disorder, etc). Heck, can be any member of a family experiencing another wasting away from some form of sickness or disease. I'd say a pretty interesting take for the zombie genre instead of the usual zombies take over the world, straggling group of people trying to survive.
Well, to be fair I do see some acknowledgement of Zombies in Zombie cinema now, I'm pretty sure I've seen quips and comments outside of "Zombieland" with some regularity. That said my problem with most Zombie movies remains that they always seem to start where civilization has fallen without any real explanation as to how, just that we're supposed to take this for granted, usually picking up with survivors in the middle of surviving, or having the protagonist in a coma or something and missing the beginning. Few exceptions exist, and even those that do fail to address central issues like how exactly a bunch of zombies takes out a tank, which is one of the big problems I had with "Walking Dead" right from the beginning where it uses a tank with a zombie trapped in it as a major set piece.

That said I'll be avoiding this movie, it doesn't sound like my kind of thing. That said one would think that Arnold of all people would want to do a good action-zombie movie before he was forced into retirement permanently.

I'll also say that I eagerly await seeing people take a more occult angle on the whole Zombie Apocolypse as opposed to the virus thing. Using magic allows you to in a way answer a lot of questions, and what's more I personally think the "ciassic" type zombie is scarier than the Romero "headshot" zombies. I actually have an easier time seeing the former kind of zombies overrunning military positions (especially if the body parts keep coming) than the headshot zombies since the headshot ones still seem to go down from overwhelming damage, which tends to mean that I see no real reason why these things can say overrun positions with .50 machine guns. If the arms, or even slitering intestines, keep coming and trying to kill you though that changes the scenario, if you need pretty much total destruction then zombies become far more frightening.

RenegadeDuck

Oct 9, 2014
I'd almost like to see it just for the change of pace from typical zombie stuff. I think I'm one of the few people who hated Zombieland, just for how... unambitious it was. Vampires can get excellent, smart movies. People still view them as having story potential as monsters. So why can the same not be said for zombies? I hate when zombie stuff just resorts to blood and guts and action, because, as The Walking Dead shows, they can make for well thought-out and emotional stories. They're not only useful as squishy targets for survivors.