Magic 2012 tips?

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
So I got the Magic 2012 bundle, with all the DLC and I played the tutorial (and put difficult to Mage) and was enjoying the game, until I got to Koth, the first person in the Campaign...

Now I want to give up. Seriously, he seems to get the best cards to use at the right time, even one turn he summoned two monsters, something it never told me I could do in the tutorial...

Anyone got tips on how to beat this guy?

Edit: Beat him finally! I also learned some new tricks such as Double Attacks also Attack First, you can acitvate an ability such as gaining attack for a card after they began to block to confuse them.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Korten12 said:
So I got the Magic 2012 bundle, with all the DLC and I played the tutorial (and put difficult to Mage) and was enjoying the game, until I got to Koth, the first person in the Campaign...

Now I want to give up. Seriously, he seems to get the best cards to use at the right time, even one turn he summoned two monsters, something it never told me I could do in the tutorial...

You just need to play more magic, by the sound of things you're new at the game (since you didn't know you could summon as many creatures as you want as long as you have the mana) so you just don't have enough experience needed to know the best moves for each turn.

Which deck are you using?

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Dreiko said:
Korten12 said:

You just need to play more magic, by the sound of things you're new at the game (since you didn't know you could summon as many creatures as you want as long as you have the mana) so you just don't have enough experience needed to know the best moves for each turn.

Which deck are you using?
Yeah, I am new.

But I don't know how to get more experience if I can only fight Koth, there is other campaigns I can try but I feel they would just be as hard if not harder.

Currently I am using Unquenchable Fire (which I sort of brought down to around 60 cards) and Wielding Steel.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
You have to get a feel for the game and your deck. I don't recall if 2012 has the glossary like 2011 did, but if it does, look that thing over...alot. Pay attention to how the AI plays, take your time and consider each move, and don't be on a constant offensive. Your only creature is useless if its tapped when they attack. Don't burn all your sorceries and instances too quickly, and don't be too quick to lose a weak creature with a good ability just to stop the damage from a strong creature. The game isn't all power and toughness, and sometimes you have to take damage to win.

MTG takes time to get used to. Each new foe will require a new strategy, and a new way of looking at the game.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Certain decks work much better against certain enemies in the campaign. Try a few of the decks and see if you can get one that works. I personally enjoy the Vampire deck (Blood Hunger if you were wondering) but I'm not sure if you'd have that one unlocked yet EDIT: (I booted up the game and looked at which one Koth was, you don't have any decks unlocked yet).

EDIT: Personally, I played un-ranked games with a buddy of mine who would teach me how to play and some tricks that the game doesn't teach you.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
Certain decks work much better against certain enemies in the campaign. Try a few of the decks and see if you can get one that works. I personally enjoy the Vampire deck (Blood Hunger if you were wondering) but I'm not sure if you'd have that one unlocked yet EDIT: (I booted up the game and looked at which one Koth was, you don't have any decks unlocked yet).

EDIT: Personally, I played un-ranked games with a buddy of mine who would teach me how to play and some tricks that the game doesn't teach you.
I bought the Magic 2012 bundle so I believe I have all the decks unlocked.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I like Ghoulkeeper personally, zombies r kl and all that.

The lack of flying creatures can get you fucked over though. Seriously, zero flying creatures. The trick is to summon so much crap that anything with flying won't want to use flying to attack.

Ancient Depths is a pretty easy deck to understand and use i think. Summon tons of lands and summon epic creatures. What's not to like?

Oh and Grave Whispers is the asshole deck, nothing is worse than ripping cards out of your enemy's hand. Mind Rot can go to hell... Unless i'm the one using it, in which case trolololol to you.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Here's a nice tip I've figured out from my few weeks of playing:

Land cards. I don't care what awesomeness is in your starting hand, if you don't have at least three lands in that starter hand, you throw it away. NO! Don't give me that look and tell me that you'll get lands drawing, throw it away now.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
tippy2k2 said:

Land cards. I don't care what awesomeness is in your starting hand, if you don't have at least three lands in that starter hand, you throw it away. NO! Don't give me that look and tell me that you'll get lands drawing, throw it away now.
This man speaks the truth! Though i might lower it to two lands if you've got some low cost creatures in your starting hand.

Then there's the dual lands decks having the problem of having millions of one land and none of the other. Machinations has three different lands for god's sake, though water is slightly dominant... I think.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
tippy2k2 said:

It depends on the deck, if you have two lands and a couple of low mana cost spells or spells which give you more lands then it's different. In 2011 the decks were huge so you took your good cards even without a lot of lands since you didn't know if you'd ever get to draw them out of a 90 card monster, here you have actually normal size decks and in those lands matter more.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Dreiko said:
tippy2k2 said:

It depends on the deck, if you have two lands and a couple of low mana cost spells or spells which give you more lands then it's different. In 2011 the decks were huge so you took your good cards even without a lot of lands since you didn't know if you'd ever get to draw them out of a 90 card monster, here you have actually normal size decks and in those lands matter more.
That's fair, if you have a spell that allows you to draw more land, you can go ahead and play a bit looser.

I do feel that even if you have low mana creatures, you're still going to want at least three lands but that is just my way of playing. Eventually, you're going to need more lands and you're taking a big risk by having two or less. Having a giant super demi-God of a card does you no good if you can't throw him out because you only have two lands out.

I've only been playing a few weeks so you can take anything I say with a grain of salt. I'm sure there are other strategies that you can work with, I'm just going off of what I know with my minimal experience.

Entreri481

Jan 14, 2009
March to War, Blood Hunger, and Realm of Illusion are all top tier. Lower every deck to 60 cards, no exception. YouTube Weapons of Mass Gaming. Memorize all the cards in each deck, so you know what your opponent has. Do not play instants during your turn, do not play your cards before your attack stage(obviously exceptions). Keep track of which decks you use, and which decks you lose against, then change and adapt. Im on XBLA as XDavisManX , Hit me up if you want to have a few matches.

Entreri481

Jan 14, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
Dreiko said:
tippy2k2 said:

That's fair, if you have a spell that allows you to draw more land, you can go ahead and play a bit looser.

I do feel that even if you have low mana creatures, you're still going to want at least three lands but that is just my way of playing. Eventually, you're going to need more lands and you're taking a big risk by having two or less. Having a giant super demi-God of a card does you no good if you can't throw him out because you only have two lands out.

I've only been playing a few weeks so you can take anything I say with a grain of salt. I'm sure there are other strategies that you can work with, I'm just going off of what I know with my minimal experience.
I usually take 2 land hands if I'm on the draw(not going first), am playing an aggro type deck(inexpensive fast cards) It's risky, but so is a mulligan

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
tippy2k2 said:
Dreiko said:
tippy2k2 said:

Like the guy above said, if you can play 95% of your cards with just 4 mana and you draw a couple of playable spells and 2 lands it's really wise to keep your hand. It really depends on the deck though, I think you're imagining some 10/10 beast with trample and double strike here for 12 mana or something, nah, we're not talking about those kinds of things, any deck that uses such a monster would seldom actually CAST it, they'd other methods such as Elvish Piper's ability (not sure of you know of it, it's "put a creature card from your hand into play" for a green mana and a tap) but we're not talking about that kind of thing.

It's more about decks with lots of small creatures that say "if you have *so and so* in play, this creature gains +1/+1 and haste" or other similar spells and go for a strength in numbers approach which means you prefer to have one or more creature out for every single turn rather than ensure you'll be able to cast your 5% of big baddies on turn 6, since these decks usually are close to winning the game by turn 6 if they work out well anyways. A friend of mine has a green red cascade deck which if he draws perfectly (meaning, if you have the proper combination of starting hand and drawn cards) he can win by turn 3...and he doesn't even have any rares on the deck either. It's a kind of deck he often takes one land hands for and ends up with the upper hand since he swarms you so quickly lol.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Finally beat him the cheap bastard and then I beat the next guy, who uses the Forest-esque deck. :D

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
1: The Zombie deck, the Red/White DLC deck and Sorin's Vampire deck are easily the best decks in the game.These will likely be how you beat most of the game.

2: The majority of the AI in the game can't really handle fast aggro play unless they get a really good opening hand, so keep pounding on them.

3: The one AI you really want to look out for is Karn. He'll be one of the last AI you fight, but he is a *****. He cheats by having 4 of a card in his deck you're only allowed to have one of, his AI can tell what is coming up next in both decks and his deck uses an obscenely annoying strategy where he can get a 12/12 Indestructible Trample artifact creature out by turn 3/4. You're only hope is to keep reloading the match until he gets a shit opening hand and you get a good one, then keep beating his face in.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
The Wykydtron said:
tippy2k2 said:

This man speaks the truth! Though i might lower it to two lands if you've got some low cost creatures in your starting hand.

Then there's the dual lands decks having the problem of having millions of one land and none of the other. Machinations has three different lands for god's sake, though water is slightly dominant... I think.
Plus most people turn machinations into a dual color deck (take out all the white cards and it becomes black/blue).

Paragon Fury said:
1: The Zombie deck, the Red/White DLC deck and Sorin's Vampire deck are easily the best decks in the game.These will likely be how you beat most of the game.

2: The majority of the AI in the game can't really handle fast aggro play unless they get a really good opening hand, so keep pounding on them.

3: The one AI you really want to look out for is Karn. He'll be one of the last AI you fight, but he is a *****. He cheats by having 4 of a card in his deck you're only allowed to have one of, his AI can tell what is coming up next in both decks and his deck uses an obscenely annoying strategy where he can get a 12/12 Indestructible Trample artifact creature out by turn 3/4. You're only hope is to keep reloading the match until he gets a shit opening hand and you get a good one, then keep beating his face in.
Only part I disagree with is 1. Jace's deck is easily the most OPed deck and that isn't just my opinion. There's a reason he is the final boss of the Archenemy campaign.