Magic: The Gathering - The Movie in The Works at Fox

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Stop naming lame characters everybody. This movie is going to be the epic battle between Chimney Imp and Storm Crow!

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
tstorm823 said:
Stop naming lame characters everybody. This movie is going to be the epic battle between Chimney Imp and Storm Crow!
With comic relief provided by the antics of Goblin Archaeologist and Akki Rockspeaker.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
AldUK said:
To anyone asking 'why?' I don't think you're aware of just how big a following Magic: The Gathering has. Sometimes I think The Escapist exists in a bubble with only a select section of games or nerd culture being covered. Magic has big money tournaments all over the world, almost 3 decades of backstory, revisions and growth and is enjoyed by millions all over the world.

So really the question should be; why not?
Yep, the only reason they haven't done one yet is that they could afford to wait to do it right.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Oh no, please god no, it will not be done well.

I kind of want me a few Phyrexian action figures but please no.

Dragon Zero said:
Ravnica could be a cool setting for a TV show IMO
The original Ravnica book trilogy could make a damn good film trilogy or a weekly show. 'The Adventures of Agrus Kos the Bumbat Drinking Racist and his Ghost Buddy' would be hypnotic if nothing else.

Steven Bogos said:
Reportedly, it will develop the franchise to the same level of mass-merchandise-mania that Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings saw before it.

Steven Bogos said:
I'm not sure what to make of this. What would a Magic movie even be about?
If I was directing it? Either the Brother's War, the entire Weatherlight Saga or Ravnica: City of Guilds.

Funnily enough each block does have a story behind it that unfurls as each set is released. Several of them have actually been rather good from a pulp perspective.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Eldritch Warlord said:
tstorm823 said:
With comic relief provided by the antics of Goblin Archaeologist and Akki Rockspeaker.
Heresy! It shall be all about Saffi Eriksdotter and Hans in their epic struggles against the Lhurgoyf, followed by a sequel; Hans vs the Revenant!

The first movie has a downer ending...

Alternatively it could also be about Norin the Wary, and his adventures in running away from everything across the multiverse.

proctorninja2

a single man with a sword
Jun 5, 2010
dharmaBum0 said:
balladbird said:
Chandra? based on what I've read online, I'd have figured Jace was the trademark favorite creation over at Wizards. :eek: Ah well, I'm mostly in it for Ral Zarek, so I know I won't be made happy.
With the new expansion, it looks like Elspeth is the new planeswalker du jour. She's at least the face of Theros for now. Jace (to the best of my knowledge, which isn't great) has been left behind to do...whatever Jace does.

Doesn't mean anything for a movie, which probably will be only loosely tied to the canon and I'd imagine a new character would be introduced for a movie.
In case your curious jace is basically tied down to ravnica due to certain obligations with the guilds (not gunna spoil the ending of the novels)

OT: Im fine with the Idea of the movie, id be more interested in who they have writing the script because while the lore is mostly well written the comics for some of the stores are pretty cringe worthy

Saidan

Aug 22, 2013
Right... the movie better have some Phyrexian action on it, and Barrin nuking everything with Obliterate at the end

Battleaxx90

Jul 8, 2011
Ouroboros0977 said:
Clearly the plot will be about squadron hawk, I don't see how it could be about anything else.
Pssh, what are you talking about? It's obviously going to a romance starring Chimney Imp and Storm Crow.