Magic the Gathering; what decks are you running?

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Hello escapist! Kerrigan here and I am quiet curious; What decks are you running in Magic The Gathering?

My in-draft deck right now, my main one, is my Gideon Jura blue/white soldiers. My main card, of course, being the great Gideon Jura. :3

My out of draft deck is my mono white angel lifelink because come on, its angels :p

Anyone else?

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Can someone explain Evolving Wilds to me? You play it as a land, only you play it as a tapped land. So it's like...a shittier land? I can see how it would let you get a type of land of your choice, which is good for multicolor decks, but even in 2 color decks I never really have an issue getting both colors into play, and very few cards require more than a single colored mana anyway.

Mr. GameBrain

Aug 10, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
Can someone explain Evolving Wilds to me? You play it as a land, only you play it as a tapped land. So it's like...a shittier land? I can see how it would let you get a type of land of your choice, which is good for multicolor decks, but even in 2 color decks I never really have an issue getting both colors into play, and very few cards require more than a single colored mana anyway.
I never seem to get the land I want at the right time, (I think I'm unlucky), so a few evolving wilds guarantee I can pull off an appropriate creature/spell later.

(Reverberate in my deck, needs 2 fire. Mine is mostly plains, so I can see evolving wilds be useful)

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Mr. GameBrain said:
I never seem to get the land I want at the right time, (I think I'm unlucky), so a few evolving wilds guarantee I can pull off an appropriate creature/spell later.

(Reverberate in my deck, needs 2 fire. Mine is mostly plains, so I can see evolving wilds be useful)
So it basically is just a kind of gimpy land, just your choice of color. Meh.

I have like 15 of the bloody things. I just tuck them away. Makes me sad to look at them.

I only really play the game with my girlfriend. A mutual friend got her hooked on it, and now she's always wanting to buy cards for no particular reason even though she doesn't play competitively and doesn't have any money. She likes the pictures. My favorite deck is my all boar deck. I don't believe it would qualify as standard due to a couple of older boars, but it's fun.

It has a lot of boars.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I haven't played in years but I'll list some of my favorite decks I used to play. I quit sometime around 9th Edition I think:

- Green Mana-Acceleration Beatdown, turn 3 [mtg_card=Thorn Elemental]/[mtg_card=Fireball] for 20+ damage etc.
- White/Red Boros Guild Deck, [mtg_card=Boros Fury-Shield] ftw!
- White Weenie deck, first deck I ever made that rocked [mtg_card=Jareth, Leonine Titan] and [mtg_card=Akroma, Angel of Wrath]
- White Equipment deck, made when the Mirrodin block came out. [mtg_card=Loxodon Punisher] + [mtg_card=Worldslayer] + [mtg_card=Shield of Kaldra], lol
- [mtg_card=Elvish Piper] Deck, nuff' said

There were a few others including some race themed decks and stuff. It's been so long >.>

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
My main Standard deck is a Naya Midrange build that runs 4 Cloudshift and 4 Restoration Angel to maximize some ETB abilities like Acidic Slime, Zealous Conscript, Thragtusk and Blade Splicer.

On Magic Online I run a version of B/R Kamikaze, missing too many of the rares to turn it into Zombiepod :(

Vuliev

Jul 19, 2011
My favorite three decks are B/W bleed and aggro lockdown, U/W artifact stonewall, and R/B super-haste-y goblins.

B/W focuses on using pretty much the best cards from the Orzhov premade decks to completely shut down creature aggro, bleed them with the same, and then (eventually) maybe swarm them with tokens from the Teysa/Skeletal Vampire combo.

U/W focuses on Esper Stormblades for early offense, Shield of the Righteous and Leonin Elders for defense, and eventually Glassdust Hulk or Qumulox for late finishing offense. Generates huge card and board advantage through Aether Spellbomb, Candles of Leng, Brainstorm, and Trinket Mage.

R/B focuses on snowballing really fast aggro through Raging Goblin and Mudbrawler Cohort, some mind game defense/offense with Mudbutton Torchrunner, some burn for path clearing/direct damage, and then Torchrunners sacrificed to Voracious Dragon for a nice, massive finisher. Also, double Skullclamps for massive card advantage.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
TheKasp said:
I build all my decks around pictures I like.
No, totally. I have cards from 10-15 years ago. Some have white borders, which bugs me. Other have what my girlfriend caustically refers to as "70's art". They have been relegated to the extras box.

I actually like making theme decks a lot more than power decks. One guy had a deck comprised entirely of squirrels. SQUIRRELS.

if_then_else

Apr 28, 2005
This [http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bw-exalted-15-08-12-1/] is my current deck. It's a bit boring, but it's what I can afford. I didn't have much time to test it yet, but so far is relatively good.

Also, I'm trying to make another one using [mtg_card=Essence of the Wild], something like this [http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wild-essence-on-a-budget/]. I tested it last night on Magic Workstation and I got owned by a W/U tokens deck with [mtg_card=Champion of the Parish], but I managed to win matches against slower decks.

Any input on my Essence deck? I want something cheap and fun, and that may be what I'm looking for.

Nightmonger

Jul 1, 2010
I am currently running one of two possible standard decks

1: Mono white Cathars crusade/ intangible virtue token/ creature abuse deck using obilvion rings and Intrepid hero as counters ( intrepid hero is such a troll card)

2: Mono red flashback deck the only creature in it are purely fuel for infernal plunge to ramp up my mana , uses burning vengeance to deal damage with flashback and curse of bloodletting to deal double damage from said flashbacking also with increasing vengeance to triple target spells when its flashbacked. (also past in flames allows all my spells to get cheaper flashbacks)

Blackdoom

Sep 11, 2008
At the moment I am running a Black/Red zombies and demons deck.
A Red/Green Soulbound deck.
And my Commander deck which uses Jenera Asura of War and is based around pumping her as quickly as I can and swinging for Commander damage.
BloatedGuppy said:
I use it in Commander as it is useful for ramping as I can pull out whichever colour I need for a 3rd turn commander drop.

Bubba Doongai

Sep 3, 2011
I'm currently running Green/Blue bounce, Blue/Red draw card and Red/Green artifact destruction.

Green/Blue bounce is pretty standard; enter the battlefield effects plus stuff like peel from reality and dead eye navigator to bounce them. This deck hasn't been performing well as it doesn't contain enough bombs and has no real early game.

Blue/Red draw card has recently changed. It was originally Green/Blue with Jace's Erasure [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=227227] and Psychosis Crawler [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=214047] as two separate win conditions. This wasn't really working so I'm ditching the mill and going into red for cards like Faithless Looting [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=245299], Desperate Ravings [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=237359] and Reforge the Soul [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=278256]. The idea is to win simply by drawing cards whilst Psychosis Crawler is down as well as swinging in with a pretty buff Sturmgeist [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=246950].

Red/Green artifact destruction is probably my strongest deck, meaning I never get to play it as it's so horrible to face. I use Liquimetal Coating [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=212709] to turn anything I don't like into an artifact and destroy it with cheap spells. If the opponent doesn't manage to get out any threats then I end up going for their land which tends to slow them down considerably. Once I get to late game, Hoard-Smelter Dragon [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=215074] comes out and just wins it for me.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
As for me, I'm running a Boros Tokens deck with a splash of black for lingering souls flashback. It's done pretty decently at my FNM.

In EDH, I've got a [mtg_card=Oros, the Avenger] pauper deck, an enters play/leaves play focused [mtg_card=Karador, Ghost Chieftain], a [mtg_card=Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind] deck that I keep accidentally adding combos to, and a [mtg_card=Skullbriar, the Walking Grave] deck with focus on surprise-murdering my opponents and proliferate.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
Can someone explain Evolving Wilds to me?
About [mtg_card=Evolving Wilds] and [mtg_card=Terramorphic Expanse]: In addition to the color fixing for certain budget or EDH decks that others mentioned, evolving wilds also thins out your deck. If you pull out that basic land with Wilds or Terramorphic, you can't draw that land later, and are more likely to draw the good cards you actually want later in the game. That's why when Zendicar was standard, even ultra-competitive monocolor decks ran cards like [mtg_card=Scalding Tarn].

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
BloatedGuppy said:
So it basically is just a kind of gimpy land, just your choice of color. Meh.

I have like 15 of the bloody things. I just tuck them away. Makes me sad to look at them.
There are a couple other reasons, in addition to color fixing, for running them.

Each Evolving Wild essentially removes an extra land from your library, one for itself and second. This thins your library giving you better chances to draw useful spells instead of unnecessary lands. In certain decks this can be really useful, like something that ramps quickly into a lot of mana. You'd rather see another big spell to cast.

There are also some triggers that could interact with it. For instance, Landfall from the Worldwake block buffs a creature for every time a land comes into play. So a simple Evolving Wilds can trigger that twice since it's still considered a land, and that gets around the normal restriction of only being able to play a single land a turn.

That's what's great about Magic, even the seemingly useless cards can have interesting uses if you think it through.

As for the OP: I primarily run a white humans deck with a splash of blue [http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sly-haunted-human/].

TheSteeleStrap

May 7, 2008
I have several decks but 2 are my favorites.

I have my "deathtouch deck" and the name implies, most of the creatures have deathtouch. On top of that I protect the creatures and bring them back if they do manage to be taken out.

My other favorite deck is my Myr deck. It's pretty fast, pumps out a lot of tokens, and has Coat of Arms. 'nuff said.