Magic: The Gathering

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
I just started to try and figure out how to play and I am lost. I know it is on a similar basis as the Pokemon card games are but what in the world is "tapping" and special attacks and all of that? I never really had an interest in the game until I seen that almost everyone (and I mean everyone) at my college was playing it and I wanted to see the whole hubbub about it. I bought myself three intro decks and about 7 booster packs but I am still lost. Any help for a new player?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
You use mana to pay for pretty much very thing.

Tapping indicates that you're using something in that phase.
The most common form of 'tapping' is when you're tapping a creature to attack.

You can also tap things to activate their abilities, or 'specials'.

I'm currently selling all my non-decks, so, yeah...

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
There's no easy way to learn to play from a forum.

The best advice I can give to you is to ask someone at your college or better yet, at a local gaming shop, to teach you.

Hopefully, you'll find someone that knows the actual rules of the game, rather than the 'whisper-down-the-lane' rules I've seen people use that claim to have been "playing for years".

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
You choose a colour or two and create a deck consisting of land cards of that colour and creatures or spells that require mana of that colour. Approximately a third of your deck should be land cards.

You place land or 'mana' cards on the field. You 'tap' them by turning them sideways to indicate you have activated them to pay the cost of creatures, spells or artifacts. You then tap those cards in turn to use their abilities. You untap them in the next turn (sort of like a cooldown) so you can use them again to pay for other cards, use their abilities or attack. It's pretty simple really. Learning the meaning of abilities (like 'fear' or 'exalted') can be a bit tricky when an explanation isn't provided on the card but that can be solved by a quick google search. Overall the rules of the game are quite simple.

Edit: There's a series on youtube that provides step by step instructions on how to play. That would probably be clearer than written instruction alone.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
There is a PC version and it is on XBox too... wouldn't be surprised if there is a PS version aswel!

That's how I learnt Yu-Gi-Oh... definitely the easiest way to learn the basics, as the game won't let you do anything wrong!

reithena

Sep 18, 2012
http://locator.wizards.com/

Try and find somewhere nearby that has a event list. They normally also have judges that would be willing to teach you, or even beginner events and free learner decks to use. If there are that many people playing there is bound to be an LGS(local game store) around you that has stuff like FNM(Friday Night Magic).

To explain is hard since so much of it is doing.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Do you have a 360?

If so, the "Magic: Duels of the Planeswalker" is perfect! Pick up the demo and it is very good at teaching you the basics without having to sink a ton of money into cards (which you've already done but all well! :)

Having a real life person with you to teach you would be the best option since there are little things that come up that it can't teach you but it will teach you just about everything you need to know.

NOTE:
http://www.wizards.com/magic/digital/duelsoftheplaneswalkers.aspx

Evidently it is also for the PC but I can't guarantee that versions quality.

EDIT: Curses! I've been double-ninja'd!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I know it's a huge cliche, but Magic definitely fits into the "easy to learn, tough to master" category. Every card is pretty self explanitory as to what it does, just read what the card says. The only time things get tricky is when cards come with special mechanics attached. Sometimes (particularly for new mechanics) it'll explain what the mechanic does, but other times you could be left wondering. In that case it's best to simply ask one of the people you're playing with "Hey, what the heck does Cascade do?"

If you're really interested in getting into the game, I'd suggest to try getting one of the digital Duels of the Planeswalkers games for like XBLA. It's good since you can play against the computer, and you can learn a lot about the game in just a couple hours. Though really this'll only give you a basic understanding of the game, it's still best if you have a good friend that can show you the tricks and the intricacies of the game.

Once you begin getting the hang of things you can start to see what your play style is and what colors best match up with that. Are you the type that likes a good ol' Zerg Rush? Then the speed of Red's cards will be to your liking. Perhaps you prefer having just a bunch of big beasties to pound your opponents into submission? Then Green is for you. If you believe the best offense is a good defense, I'd look into playing White. Black, of course, has plenty of insta-kill cards. And Blue is more for controlling the flow of the game, allowing you to draw extra cards, counter opponents spells (meaning prevent them from being cast/nullify their effects), and since one of the rules of the game is that you automatically lose if you run out of cards to draw from your deck, there's some Blue decks that are designed specifically for that purpose: burning through the opponent's deck rather than going for their HP.

Mono-color decks are good because you only have to worry about finding one color of land whie you're playing. Multi-colored decks are more versitile (i.e. Green/Black having big creatures for you while also having the ability to insta-kill all your opponent's creatures so your creatures can pound directly at the opponent's HP. However, there's a delightful term known as "mana screwed". This is when you can't find a piece of Land to save your life, or perhaps most of the cards in your hand at the moment are green but all you've got is black land. So indeed, multi-colored decks are versitile, but you can get mana screwed more easily.

Edit: But those are just some basic tid-bits about the game. Again, I'd really suggest getting one of the digital Duels of the Planeswalkers games. Play around with it for a while and you'll start to get the hang of things. Watch what the computer does, how it times its abilities, how it uses its cards, etc and you'll be off to a good start.

BigDeadMushy

May 4, 2011
find your local game store(if in doubt, ask the person you bought the decks from).
if there are tables set up, there's a good chance you're in the right place.be on the lookout for

that sign also.
there will almost always be somebody there that will be willing to help out, whether it's staff or stranger.
http://company.wizards.com/ has a store locator, just type in your city/zip/postal code and you should be able to find one.
aside from that,as suggested by some of these lovely people, grabbing DotP:2013 can help a lot too.there's a free demo available on Steam or you can buy the full version for circa $9.99, also from steam.worth it, get a free mini-booster too, including 1 guaranteed Mythic card
not sure what other platforms give.

hope this helps, and enjoy one of the longest surviving and most enjoyable (contemporary) specialty games around.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I learned to play using the 360 Magic games! I suggest you do the same as they are very good at teaching the majority of the rules!

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
When I started out, almost two years ago, I had someone at a local shop explain the basics to me.

But hey, if you buy an intro deck you also get one of those "How to play" leaflets, right?

Finally, there is mtg.wikia.com.