Magical Science? Scientific Magic?

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Hear ye all! I'm doing a verses thread. Pshaw to normal ones like "Oh Halo, you're so good! Gordon is nothing to you." I make good ones damnit! Like the Steampunk vs Cyberpunk.

Anyway, onto topic. I'm wondering, what is better: Magic or Science?

I mean in all ways. What would you rather control, have, use, be used? Which do you generally like more or think is cooler?

With science, you have tech-engines, mechs, bioengineering, viruses, laser guns! I mean, most modern zombie films have rotated around science being the main cause for the living dead. It's also made vicious things such as giant mechs, space ships and space marines. All these things are +10 to cool. Bolt guns fire off mini rockets. And do you think you would have the Fat Boy launcher in Fallout 3 if it wasn't for science?

But! Magic on the other hand, you dabble into the arts of the universe. See through worlds and time. With science, you bend reality around your fingertips and with but a wim can make anything happen. Magic is the reasons for things like Cthulhu, Owlbears, Unicorns, Mind Flayers! And is also the thing that is best suited to kill all of the previously listed.

So have at thee. What's your (imagination) poison.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
Science advances over time, each idea being built up as new knowledge is found. Magic doesn't, it stays the same and cannot be refined beyond a certain level. Science will always progress.

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
I prefer science because it leaves open the door to a reason other than "It just is", but magic would have many advantages in terms of capacity. I imagine that one could make up a 'magic' for anything that can presently be done with science.

Neo Kojiro

Mar 19, 2008
I think they're equal, myself, although i'll say that we've yet to reach the level of science that we imagine magic is already at. Also, i think that, were magic real, it'd be far more advanced than science, excepting any funding requirements.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
Does said science give me Mass Effect style psychic powers? If so then Science all the way.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
scape said:
UNIIIIIIICORNNNNNNNNNNS
I know right?

Inverse Skies said:
Science advances over time, each idea being built up as new knowledge is found. Magic doesn't, it stays the same and cannot be refined beyond a certain level. Science will always progress.
Pssh. Magic progresses as an art. What do you think all the wizards are doing up in their towers all day?

Labyrinth said:
I prefer science because it leaves open the door to a reason other than "It just is", but magic would have many advantages in terms of capacity. I imagine that one could make up a 'magic' for anything that can presently be done with science.
Dr Strange is basically the Deus Ex Machinma (did I spell that correctly?) of Marvel. Magic has no bounds, but the people controlling it should and do. But they can always push it!

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Man, i just realised that Surrealonomy was just Cyberpunk with a different name.

Anyway, I would have to choose Magic. Why? Because Science is restricted by petty things like logic. When you have the ability to bend reality itself, who needs Science? It's practically useless.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
Magic. Science will never create dragons or unicorns.
And if it does, I will be forced to destroy it.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
PurpleRain said:
Pssh. Magic progresses as an art. What do you think all the wizards are doing up in their towers all day?
Refining it, practicing it. Not, as you might think, advancing the concept of magic. Magic has strict limits imposed on it, it only has so far it can advance as an artform. Science doesn't. That's the difference between the two.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Lord Krunk said:
Man, i just realised that Surrealonomy was just Cyberpunk with a different name.

Anyway, I would have to choose Magic. Why? Because Science is restricted by petty things like logic. When you have the ability to bend reality itself, who needs Science? It's practically useless.
True.

Screw Batman, Punisher and Dr. Octopus. I'll just call the Scarlet Witch and make her turn their gadgets into spiders.

...SPIDERBEARS!!

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Cyberpunk! Although I do enjoy Steampunk too. Magic I'm 'meh' over - always seems like a cop out to me.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Abedeus said:
Screw Batman...
How can you say that and live?

Inverse Skies said:
PurpleRain said:
Refining it, practicing it. Not, as you might think, advancing the concept of magic. Magic has strict limits imposed on it, it only has so far it can advance as an artform. Science doesn't. That's the difference between the two.
I think Science and Magic both have one limit. The limit of what the universe can hold. Never say Magic has limits to it. Get a great and powerful wizard, and he will push it as far as he can, though it will never be far enough.

Monkfish Acc. said:
Science can. By DNA and cell research and whatnot. Perhaps the Unicorns won't be magical, but I'm sure it could be build a flying giant lizard that breaths fire.

zen5887 said:
I think they are the same thing. The Internet? what is this wizardry?
This my friend is true.

Meta Like That

Jan 30, 2009
OMG NO POLL?!? WTF I CANT DECYDEZ!!1! Q_Q

And with that out of my system: This topic is cool but ultimately, I think, moot. Because why not have the best of both worlds?

Case in point [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caster_gun]

Gun to my head though (bad pun intended), I'd have to go with magic. It can be just as technically challenging and evolved as science, but more importantly, you get to blow up planets yourself, instead of using a bomb or laser. Anyone can pull a trigger. But amassing enough energy from leylines to end a billion lives at once? That takes skill, damn it.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
PurpleRain said:
Monkfish Acc. said:
Science can. By DNA and cell research and whatnot. Perhaps the Unicorns won't be magical, but I'm sure it could be build a flying giant lizard that breaths fire.
Yeah... but magic's cooler.

Jenny Creed

May 7, 2008
Science can be seen as an act of magic. It's a vast spell on an entirely different scale than anything that's been attempted before, designed to give us power over all things in the natural world by naming them. It works very well because so many people believe so hard in it.