Major Nelson Claims Microsoft Is Listening To DRM Complaints

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Major Nelson Claims Microsoft Is Listening To DRM Complaints

Still no clue as to what Microsoft intends to do about it, mind you.

After the Sony Twitter campaign [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124376-Fans-Plead-With-Sony-Stay-Away-From-DRM] launched in an attempt to dissuade Sony from even thinking about DRM and anti used games policies, much vitriol was spewed over at Larry Hyrb aka Major Nelson's blog, on Microsoft's policies and its Xbox One reveal. In response, Major Nelson said in a forum post that "we're fully aware of what is going on. I am also working on a few things to address it. I can't say much more right now. But we ARE listening." Listening, but not doing much; at least not visibly.

Major Nelson's statement came up in the comments on a blog post Microsoft tradition [http://majornelson.com/2013/05/24/xbox-one-and-used-games-2/], of saying nothing useful while seeming to address the issue.

Here's hoping E3 will see some clarification on something - anything - concerning the Xbone's used games and DRM policies. Or the always-on Kinect. Or ... but you get the idea.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/409648/microsoft-working-to-address-xbox-one-drm-concerns/]

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
What about the microsoft policy to make their hardware out of garbage so the system breaks down in 3 years forcing another purchase on the consumer? why don't they comment about how they are trying to make a DURABLE system to bring back the customers that are pissed at them and lost faith when their 360's died?? Looks like this will cost as much as the 360, DOUBLE the listed price when you are forced to rebuy it after it breaks.

No one will ask the tough question on the durability which is entirely warranted thanks to the 360 life cycle, they are too deep in microsofts pockets or too afraid to look bad to them. Pathetic journalists.

Velociferocks

Jul 20, 2009
Kheapathic said:
Kheapathic said:
This coming question has very little to do with the content of the thread, but why the hell is he called "Major Nelson?" The last game relevant person who gave himself a title was Lord British, who has a real name. This guy apparently has a real name according to the article. So what's with this guys nickname?

EDIT: For clarification, been hearing other students at school and such talk about the XBone and Major Nelson and while I have seen that guy in photos before, he was never named. So I've been going through this past week with no idea who this Major Nelson was... and thinking he was someone more important.
It's his Xbox live gamertag. He Is also "Director of Programming" for xbox live.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
I'd love to see Microsoft's 'Stuff We Have To Do Now' and 'Stuff We Have To Do In The Near Future' piles. It's as if they've got their feet up thinking "Welp, isn't it quiet just now!?"

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Zeckt said:
What about the microsoft policy to make their hardware out of garbage so the system breaks down in 3 years forcing another purchase on the consumer? why don't they comment about how they are trying to make a DURABLE system to bring back the customers that are pissed at them and lost faith when their 360's died?? Looks like this will cost as much as the 360, DOUBLE the listed price when you are forced to rebuy it after it breaks.

No one will ask the tough question on the durability which is entirely warranted thanks to the 360 life cycle, they are too deep in microsofts pockets or too afraid to look bad to them. Pathetic journalists.
I think it's because everyone else is building products that don't last. They don't want to upset everyone.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
In my experience of playing games "We are listening" tends to translate as "We don't give a fuck what you lot think, but we know if we don't pretend to, you may not buy our stuff". Then when they say "We are taking what the fans have said on-board" it means "We will make a minor compromise, but make a huge deal out of it to appease the complainers and get some good PR by showing that we care".

Gaming industry what have you done to me? I used to be such a trusting, naive young soul.

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
wish they'd stop dicking about and just be clear about what they're doing.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
So basically a "Yes we know you hate us, were still not going to do anything about it" policy. Typical microsoft though, nothing new here.

Evil Smurf said:
I think it's because everyone else is building products that don't last. They don't want to upset everyone.
PCs. no, really. There have been only one PC component that broke down of old age ( did burn two gpus but one was my fault and other HP cooling design which they admitted as a build fault and replaced it for every model sold that wanted replacing).
That was a HDD that worked for 8 years. Though i did add some extra ram and whatnot that is newer to the 10 old one, but the original lust still works too.
I still got a 13 year old PC that works, as well as a 10 year old one and a 4 year old one. And they didn't break down. Sure the oldest one are not even fit for browsing internet, but that's beside the point, it was good at its time. So the "Everyone is doing that" is more of an excuse than a reality.

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
They really need to stop being so vague, it's getting to a level now that is totally stupid. Microsoft need to give those who have stood by them with the 360 something to acknowledge and talk about that is positive as all people can say at the moment is how negative the console is.

Microsoft aren't just giving this generation to Sony at the moment, they're handing it to them on bended knee. What they should do is come out and say 'This is what we're doing, this is how we're addressing these issues and here's why' instead of hiding behind 'It will be revealed' or 'we're addresseing the issue'.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
I love to watch this train wreck. Their handling of these consumer issues is the worst I think I've ever seen. Negative rumors have spread like wildfire on the internet and their continued existence could be wiped out by Microsoft giving a straight answer, which they continually dodge with vagaries. Many consumers take the lack of a straight answer from Microsoft as confirmation of their worst fears about the negative rumors. While they may just be tied up by corporate bureaucracy (NDAs, etc.), their constant dodging doesn't give consumers a lot of confidence in jumping on the XBone train.

Even if they reveal that all these worries/complaints are actually for not, I wonder how much damage has already been done.

MrWunderful

Filthy Console Peasant
May 27, 2013
JasonBurnout16 said:
They really need to stop being so vague, it's getting to a level now that is totally stupid. Microsoft need to give those who have stood by them with the 360 something to acknowledge and talk about that is positive as all people can say at the moment is how negative the console is.

Microsoft aren't just giving this generation to Sony at the moment, they're handing it to them on bended knee. What they should do is come out and say 'This is what we're doing, this is how we're addressing these issues and here's why' instead of hiding behind 'It will be revealed' or 'we're addresseing the issue'.
I agree 100%.

They should stop being so secretive, or risk loosing people who still want to buy their console (myself) amidst this PR crapstorm.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
Expect much damage control at E3, it's going to be crazy. Nobody aside from loyalists and fanboys will buy the Xboner, it's just been a mess of bad PR and terrible news.

I really want the Nintendo to do well at E3, I appreciate the fact that they show gameplay during announcements and they are the only one of the big three that doesn't make "media centers".

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Here's the thing, Microsoft... Either you do or you don't have DRM and block used games. This spinning around the issue signifies you have it or have at least some of it, both of which constitute a smelly console.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Quick, name a single time a public entity has ever said that it was "listening" to concerns and actually changed their policy!

Yes, I'm so glad that they're listening. I'm thrilled to know that when they release a product that is the opposite of what everybody wants they'll have done it after listening to everyone tell them not to. I feel reassured.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Major Nelson?!? So does this mean Microsoft has a magical genie that will come and fix all of their problems?

Maybe Microsoft can wish themselves some common sense but I think even she can pull that one off. ^^;

90sgamer

Jan 12, 2012
I like how he has knowledge enough of Microsoft policies to know whether a statement about Microsoft policy is accurate or complete and yet he refuses to say what those policies actually are. This implies that the policies are not consumer friendly and Microsoft would like to unveil those policies in a size six font information dump at the bottom of a Halo presentation at E3 where they will likely be missed.