Major school assignment, due tomorrow...

GwydeanRunix

Jul 24, 2010
That title may have been slightly misleading. I have a major essay due tomorrow for my AP U.S. History class. This essay happens to be a DBQ. Until this year, I had no idea what a DBQ was, and quite frankly, I'm still a little confused about it. I don't want to go at it like a normal essay, as I'm pretty sure that's the wrong way to approach it. Can someone give me some advice on how to write a DBQ essay?

For discussion value, just in case: Have you ever had a moment like this? Major assignment due tomorrow, you're just getting started on it late in the night, etc.

muckinscavitch

Jul 27, 2009
Haha, yes.. I had that with my Physical Chemistry lab... thought it would take 3 hours... ended up taking 10 hours.. haha. Taught me to leave it till last minute.

off topic: You should do your report on the war of 1812, and actually tell the truth, not what most US history books depict it as.

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
You best get off the internet and start the essay, then.

Advice: Be sure to make half of the information you give (general ideas) come from outside the document. It demonstrates knowledge of the material. Use a handful of quotes from the documents, and be sure to cite them. Other than that, it's a normal essay.

razbuten363

Jun 23, 2009
The way my teacher taught my class, last year, was to read a document and try and associate a specific detail or event about it that isn't mentioned in the work itself. It worked for me as I got a 4 out of 5 on the test back in may. Hope it goes well for you, APUSH is a lot of work but it really pays off at the end. Also, let me know how you did, I'm curious now.

:edit: I think this is the first time I've been ninja'd

NaturalCauses

Sep 2, 2010
GwydeanRunix said:
That title may have been slightly misleading. I have a major essay due tomorrow for my AP U.S. History class. This essay happens to be a DBQ. Until this year, I had no idea what a DBQ was, and quite frankly, I'm still a little confused about it. I don't want to go at it like a normal essay, as I'm pretty sure that's the wrong way to approach it. Can someone give me some advice on how to write a DBQ essay?

For discussion value, just in case: Have you ever had a moment like this? Major assignment due tomorrow, you're just getting started on it late in the night, etc.
Document Based Questions? Oh man, I write the hell out of those all the time. I'll send you a PM shortly on some tips and suggested format.

And for the discussion bit; yes, always. I'm a big procrastinator, which I really need to fix. But I end up doing well anyway, somehow.