Major Whiterun Glitch

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
Okay so for some reason the general store and Warmaiden's are permanently closed. No matter what time of day it is and the NPCs around Whiterun are stood still, barely moving away from one spot. I've tried reloading previous saves and nothing helps. I've just gotten the quest to go to the Greybeards at the Throat of the World so do I need to do that first?

Lenin211

Apr 22, 2011
It is a bethesda game in the first few weeks of it being released, what did you expect?

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
gigastrike said:
Did you try restarting the game?
Yep. Still happens :/

Lenin211 said:
It is a bethesda game in the first few weeks of it being released, what did you expect?
If you're going to just point out something I already know in an attempt to be snarky, I'd prefer you don't post.

HontooNoNeko

No more parties?
Nov 29, 2009
If you are playing on the PC you could try opening the ~Console and typing in TAI(Toggle Artificial Intelligence) and see if that resets their scripting or try to spawn a cloned NPC and seeing if they follow the scripts instead.

If you are playing on a console... Good luck? Sorry can't help much there.

Argtee

Oct 31, 2009
I've had something like this happen in Whiterun.
The stores were closed for longer then usually, but they eventually re-opened.

Have your tried waiting for a couple of hours?

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
Yeah I'm playing on PS3. I have no idea what could have even caused the glitch... It's a new character and I didn't do anything differently than I have with my mage.

Argtee said:

Yup. Waited 12 hours and they're still closed. All the other shops are opening but Warmaiden's and the general store aren't. The War-Bear bloke that works in Warmaiden's is rooted it a spot outside Breezeholme.

UltraDolphins

May 20, 2011
I had the same problem after sleeping and waiting in my home there. All you have to do is use the wait option and it will open up when the game resumes.

srm79

Jan 31, 2010
I left Whiterun as soon as I was given that quest so didn't notice anything untoward. You could try completing it? It's part of the main story line so it may be that moving on to the next part of the quest resets it? I seem to remember something like this happening to me in Fallout 3 and it resolved itself after I went and did a quest or two.

Argtee

Oct 31, 2009
Doc Theta Sigma said:
Yeah I'm playing on PS3. I have no idea what could have even caused the glitch... It's a new character and I didn't do anything differently than I have with my mage.

Argtee said:

Yup. Waited 12 hours and they're still closed. All the other shops are opening but Warmaiden's and the general store aren't. The War-Bear bloke that works in Warmaiden's is rooted it a spot outside Breezeholme.
As lame as this sounds, at least it isn't game-breaking.
Still...pretty lame.

WodashGSJ

Mar 20, 2009
Doc Theta Sigma said:

Argtee said:
The simplest way to try to fix this sort of thing is to go to a part of the world far away, and wait for 3 continuous days(building interiors are best), then come back. That should completely reset the AI of the area you haven't visited. Or you could try just waiting at the spot and seeing if it fixes itself, but don't do that in 12-hour chunks, as that can completely skip the hour when those people's AI would change. Instead, wait for shorter lengths, such as 4 3-hour waits.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
are.you.the.god.its.me.vader said:
Oh dear.....my character is currently walking around with 2 arrows permanently sticking out of his chest, no amount of sleep or waiting can rid me of them!
If you're on the PC you can just open the console and enter "sexchange" I believe. That'll change the gender of your character model and remove the arrows, then type it again to change back. Only thing is I'm not sure if this will affect what you did in character creation....

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
are.you.the.god.its.me.vader said:
Oh dear.....my character is currently walking around with 2 arrows permanently sticking out of his chest, no amount of sleep or waiting can rid me of them!
Get shot with more arrows. That is the only fix I have found for that. The new arrows should disappear.

OutcastBOS

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2009
I have one where the Waking Nightmare quest bugged out on me, and no amount of waiting or re-entering the temple would fix it.